Cooking with wine; what wine?

jeezopete

It is generally correct that you use the wine you would usually drink, but for a non-wine drinker, this would be an issue.  The best thing to do in this case is use the "body" of the wine to make the determination.  Light whites are generally best with light dishes; fuller bodied wines for heavier/richer dishes.  For example:

Light reds are pinot noirs, gamays, and grenache.

Medium bodied reds include Sangiovase, many Merlots, and cabernet Franc.

Full bodied reds like Cabernet Sauvignon, Tempranillo, and Malbec.

Light whites include pinot grigio and sauvignon blanc.

Medium bodied whites like chardonnays and rieslings.

Full bodied include Semillions and Gewurztraminers.

If it were me and I had little knowledge of wine and also didn't drink it (Heaven forbid!), I would stick to recipes that include the type of wine in the ingredient list.  This with the knowledge that the recipe has been tested and the appropriate wine flavor profile is established in the dish. 

Also, another poster mentioned using cooking wine.  If that is to the individual's taste, go for it.  However, you should be aware that there is often a lot of sodium in cooking wines and this can completely change the taste of the dish you're using it in, not to mention the health issues high sodium can affect.

Edited by randeman
typo

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2023 at 9:32 AM, randeman said:

Also, another poster mentioned using cooking wine.  If that is to the individual's taste, go for it.  However, you should be aware that there is often a lot of sodium in cooking wines and this can completely change the taste of the dish you're using it in, not to mention the health issues high sodium can affect.

Correct.  Cooking wine generally contains preservatives, salt and other ingredients that can change the taste of the finished dish.  I've never heard anyone recommend their use.  Stick with a cheap bottle of your favorite type and you'll be fine.  

On 1/10/2023 at 7:37 AM, poolboy48220 said:

IMHO, any recipe that lists wine as an ingredient without some indication of what type of wine is not doing its job.

+1 to this.  Wines whether cheap, expensive, or anything in between, vary tremendously in how sweet or dry or acidic or otherwise they are and could have widely varying effects on the dish you're making.  The more wine there is in a dish, the more your choice will matter.  If it's just a tablespoon in a sauce, it's not a hugely important decision.  If you're marinating a whole roast in a wine-based marinade for days and then preparing a wine-based sauce, you may want to use the same wine you'll be serving your guests for both the marinade and the sauce so the roast and the wine go together that much better.  There are plenty of dessert recipes using wine that don't always involve cooking the wine down so, again, your choice can matter a great deal.

If either you're not working from a recipe or the recipe gives little guidance, consider making three mini-batches of the sauce with three different wines and compare the taste before you decide on the one to use for a sauce served to others.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:37 AM, poolboy48220 said:

IMHO, any recipe that lists wine as an ingredient without some indication of what type of wine is not doing its job.

AND it should tell you WHY it's used. It's a liquid in place of water or oil that evaporates away quickly, OR it adds trace flavors, OR both.

If the only point is to deglaze a pan or any "evaporate away" application, I grab the same bottle of vodka I keep in the freezer for pastry.

On 3/15/2024 at 2:08 PM, Medin said:

Correct.  Cooking wine generally contains preservatives, salt and other ingredients that can change the taste of the finished dish.  I've never heard anyone recommend their use.  Stick with a cheap bottle of your favorite type and you'll be fine.  

Cooking wine lasts longer on the shelf. If you always have a bottle of wine open, it's use is unnecessary. I use it myself because I don't like to waste good wine deglazing a pan. Yes there's sodium in there ..so what. Just adjust your recipe. I'm not 90 years old and avoiding salt.