Do you use the "Do Not Disturb" feature on your phone?

Last week, my partner and a friend spent an evening together. The friend lamented how he was having trouble finding a long-term relationship. He remarked "I have plenty of friends I can call up at 4 AM if I need to, but no one seems interested in a long-term romantic relationship." I didn't say anything about the 4 AM call, but I thought "Well, if he calls me at 4 AM, I won't know until after I wake up, because my phone is set for Do Not Disturb from midnight to 8 AM." I have this feature on since my mother passed away 3 or so years ago. Since I was the person with the Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare listed in her hospital's file, I really might be legally needed to authorize a procedure at 4 AM. Otherwise, I can't think of anything I was in a unique position of having to do at 4 AM. 

I don't think of myself as an unreliable friend just because I don't want to receive calls when I'm sleeping. I'm wondering what the norm is, though. Do you leave your phone open to incoming calls, with the mode off silent when you're sleeping? Do you feel it's important to be able to respond to any friend's calls in the middle of the night?

When I got Android 13 on my phone, it automatically set up "bedtime mode" which automatically sets it to DND when you plug it in after a certain time.  That includes turning off almost all notifications and only allowing calls from selected contacts until after the scheduled time expires.  I'm a little old for 2am bootie calls, but I do need to be able to get a call from family if there's an emergency.

53 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

I have mine on overnight, but with 3-4 numbers allowed to ring in even during do not disturb.

Oh, I didn't know one could add people to ring past the Do Not Disturb. Thanks for the info. I added my partner, step-mother, sister, and brother. Many thanks for the tip! 🤗

Edited by Unicorn

5 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Do you leave your phone open to incoming calls, with the mode off silent when you're sleeping?

I set my phone at not disturbe between 11PM and 6AM. Of course, if I am awake I can notice the call or text.

5 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Do you feel it's important to be able to respond to any friend's calls in the middle of the night?

That "any" in your question makes it easy to answer. I do not think it is important to respond to any calls, but may be to some.

However, the chances of a family or friend emergency during those 7 hours are low. Specially in contrast with the chances to get a call from a student, a student's parent, a hook up, or countless annoying reasons. 

I refuse to organize my life around the possibility of that one tragic call. 

Do not disturb fan here.

200.gif?cid=6c09b9527768ee3d3146dafa2ad5

Well, I'm glad @MikeBiDude taught me the work-around, especially regarding my step-mother, since I am the decision maker on her Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare should she be unable to make decisions and brought to her hospital. 

my phone is almost always face-down and muted on my desk (at home) ensuring an almost permanent do not disturb feature...  also to the great annoyance of my husband who will often need to text to find me when we're out shopping together and I've drifted off...  win win   😇

11 hours ago, keefer said:

my phone is almost always face-down and muted on my desk (at home) ensuring an almost permanent do not disturb feature...  also to the great annoyance of my husband who will often need to text to find me when we're out shopping together and I've drifted off...  win win   😇

This is pretty much what I do. I screen calls in any case and never answer anything from an unknown number unless they leave a message.  My phone is always on silent unless I'm expecting a specific call like from a service technician I'm waiting for. Everything else get returned if I decide to.  I'm also vigilant on using the block feature for spams.

I have it on from 9 pm to 9 am. My parents are both gone so no concerns anymore.  As my mother always said "They'll still be dead in the morning and at least I will have gotten a food night's sleep".  

That being said, there are two friends for which I'll set up an exception.

6 hours ago, spider said:

This is pretty much what I do. I screen calls in any case and never answer anything from an unknown number unless they leave a message.  My phone is always on silent unless I'm expecting a specific call like from a service technician I'm waiting for. Everything else get returned if I decide to.  I'm also vigilant on using the block feature for spams.

I have my phone set so that every call goes direct to voicemail and will only ring or buzz if the number is already in my contact list.  Same with my professional e-mail, everything goes to junk unless you're in my address book, you're at the same company, or I have e-mailed you in the past. 

14 minutes ago, ThroatCummer said:

Same with my professional e-mail, everything goes to junk unless you're in my address book, you're at the same company, or I have e-mailed you in the past. 

a very old geek taught me that trick...  redirect all mails with the @ character in the senders email to SPAM folder unless the senders email was in a predefined list of accepted addresses...  it works a charm to catch real SPAM and company-wide test spam...    

also taught me a valuable lesson that one always should listen to old geeks... they existed before ones and zeros were invented and know what they're talking about as they invented both the problem and the solution....

Edited by keefer

6 minutes ago, keefer said:

a very old geek taught me that trick...  redirect all mails with the @ character in the senders email to SPAM folder unless the senders email was in a predefined list of accepted addresses...  it works a charm to catch real SPAM and company-wide test spam...    

also taught me a valuable lesson that one always should listen to old geeks... they existed before ones and zeros were invented and know what they're talking about as they invented both the problem and the solution....

Nice. I only learned about it in the past two years. I'm the CEO of my company so I get a lot of very important stuff I need to read and just as much complete shit and random solicitations from actual people not just SPAM. This way, I only have to spend like 10 minutes every morning or evening just scanning the junk folder to see what was caught that I want to see or read. Sure it can be a pain in the ass once a month when I really miss something I needed, but overall it saves me almost an hour a day not having to constantly manage unsolicited email every 20 minutes. lol.  Any other tips? :)

Edited by ThroatCummer

Just now, ThroatCummer said:

Any other tips?

never jog while drinking martini's?  :)

From an email/hygiene perspective - this is probably the best pattern I've found.   

The second best pattern is one I use with my global teams - whenever anyone comes a cross a short-cut, tip, work-around, anything that is collective hive knowledge - historically we used to document on a write-once/read-never wiki;  over the past five years we communicate the trick by sending concise mail with <tip> in subject line  (e.g., <tip> mail filtering)...  everyone saves/expands on tricks as the years tick by; and must save us 10-15% of resource time per year, and reduces new hire learning time by 25-30%, as the most important rules, tips, tricks, fixes are always to hand.