Real or artificial Xmas trees?

Pensant

2 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

The final year, I decided to use all white lights instead of lights of color.  That REALLY made the tree look great.  It illuminated all the different hues of green in this magnificent artificial tree from within.  The tree never looked better.

So you're openly admitting Christmas is better without the coloreds and you prefer an all-white environment ? 🤔

( Sorry for the politically incorrect humor ) but it was just sitting there for the taking .😜

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

So you're openly admitting Christmas is better without the coloreds and you prefer an all-white environment ? 🤔

( Sorry for the politically incorrect humor ) but it was just sitting there for the taking .😜

Although the tree went all white that Christmas, the outside Christmas decorations went from all white to living color.  I had to swap the lights I used indoors for outdoors in order to have enough for each.

You'll be glad to know the following Christmas the lights were fully integrated with both white lights and lights of color both outdoors and on the tree.

However, my brother did start to decorate a Hanukkah tree with white and blue lights each year, and it was put in a separate room from the integrated artificial Christmas tree.  My favorite cookie at Christmas time remains rugelach, from a recipe given to us by our Jewish friends and neighbors.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

On 11/22/2022 at 8:36 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

favorite cookie at Christmas time remains rugelach, from a recipe given to us by our Jewish friends and neighbors.

I DO love a good rugelach. ❤️

I remember the first time I discovered them..I was at a bakery in a Jewish neighborhood in Margate NJ.

The lady at the bakery seemed annoyed that me...the little goyim ..couldn't pronounce it after three tries. Delicious no matter how you struggle with the "cccch" sound.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

The lady at the bakery seemed annoyed that me...the little goyim ..couldn't pronounce it after three tries. Delicious no matter how you struggle with the "cccch" sound.

Easy workaround to turn the tables on those who are annoyed by your goyimism: Just tell her your family is Mizrahi, so you pronounce it differently. Most American Jews are Ashkenazi (Eastern European descent) and some are Sephardic (Spanish) but few are Mizrahi (Iranian, Persian) so many American Jews are unfamiliar with their idiosyncrasies. She will act like she knows you are right. My uncle used that excuse for years, although he and the rest of my grandfather's family was actually from Persia/Iran.

You can also try explaining your family is Reform or Reconstructionist rather than Conservative or Orthodox (or visa versa) so you pronounce it differently, but it is often difficult to determine the annoyed person's branch of Judaism, save the Orthodox, who are often easy to spot. 

16 hours ago, CJK said:

Easy workaround to turn the tables on those who are annoyed by your goyimism

I think she was just annoyed a Protestant kid was in their neighborhood. I can't hide my waspiness being all blue eyed and blond hair. I had walked all the way from Atlantic city along the boardwalk and was hungry. What little German-American boy doesn't love a good pastry ? 😋

26 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I think she was just annoyed a Protestant kid was in their neighborhood. I can't hide my waspiness being all blue eyed and blond hair. I had walked all the way from Atlantic city along the boardwalk and was hungry. What little German-American boy doesn't love a good pastry ? 😋

I do not look like what one would typically expect a Jewish guy to look like. One time I was in Bangkok with a very attractive young lady. We were playing backgammon on a table by the pool. Some young Israeli guys came over and start watching. After I won against my friend one of the cocky kids said, in English, I couldn't beat him. Challenge on! 

As we were playing, he turned to his friend and said, in Hebrew, what graphic/explicit things he wanted to do to my female friend, obviously thinking these American he randomly met in Thailand would not understand him. I interjected, in Hebrew, that I understood exactly what he said and that she did, too. The look on his face was priceless. 

Edited by CJK

Well, I decided on a real tree. I bought a nice 5’ tree at my favorite nursery for $70 yesterday but won’t pick it up until I get back from a cycling trip in AZ on December 15. They’ll keep it outside and watered. I got a real wreath too. I guess I’m not ready for an artificial tree yet.

On 12/1/2022 at 4:04 AM, Pensant said:

Well, I decided on a real tree. I bought a nice 5’ tree at my favorite nursery for $70 yesterday but won’t pick it up until I get back from a cycling trip in AZ on December 15. They’ll keep it outside and watered. I got a real wreath too. I guess I’m not ready for an artificial tree yet.

Nothing beats the scent of a real tree.  It almost makes me miss cold snowy winters in New England.  Almost.  One can buy real trees here in Las Vegas, but it just seems so out of place in the desert with all the palm trees.

Edited by BSR
Just 'cuz