You can take your reward and shove it...

samhexum

So much for doing the right thing. 

A German man who returned a $4.7 million check to the sweets giant Haribo after he found it on a train platform was awarded for his honesty with a few packages of candy, reports said Monday. 

“I thought that was a bit cheap,” Anouar G told the German tabloid Bild, according to the Independent.

Earlier this year, Anouar, 38, was traveling home after a visit with his mom when he saw the check on a train platform, apparently discarded and unattended.  

When he took a closer look and realized the check was for €4,631,538.80, or about $4.7 million, he couldn’t believe his eyes, he told Bild. 

“There was such a large sum on it that I couldn’t even pronounce it,” Anouar told the outlet. 

The check was made out to Haribo from Rewe, a German supermarket. 

The Good Samaritan reached out to the gummy bear makers to inform them he’d found the check and the company asked him to destroy it and send proof that he did. 

Once he’d sent along the evidence, he was surprised when he received six packs of Haribo products a few days later, an apparent non-monetary thank you from the company. 

When Anouar griped that the treats didn’t really measure up, Haribo defended the decision and said it was their “standard package that we send as a thank you.”  Okay, but it was REALLY bad PR for them.

“Since it was a named check, nobody but our company could have redeemed it,” the company said. So they sent him some products with no redeeming value.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/14/man-returns-4-7-million-check-to-haribo-gets-sweets-in-return/

18 hours ago, samhexum said:

A German man who returned a $4.7 million check to the sweets giant Haribo after he found it on a train platform was awarded for his honesty with a few packages of candy, reports said Monday. 

“I thought that was a bit cheap,” Anouar G told the German tabloid Bild, according to the Independent.

Earlier this year, Anouar, 38, was traveling home after a visit with his mom when he saw the check on a train platform, apparently discarded and unattended.  

When he took a closer look and realized the check was for €4,631,538.80, or about $4.7 million, he couldn’t believe his eyes, he told Bild. 

“There was such a large sum on it that I couldn’t even pronounce it,” Anouar told the outlet. 

The Good Samaritan reached out to the gummy bear makers to inform them he’d found the check and the company asked him to destroy it and send proof that he did. 

Once he’d sent along the evidence, he was surprised when he received six packs of Haribo products a few days later, an apparent non-monetary thank you from the company. 

When Anouar griped that the treats didn’t really measure up, Haribo defended the decision and said it was their “standard package that we send as a thank you.”  Okay, but it was REALLY bad PR for them.

“Since it was a named check, nobody but our company could have redeemed it,” the company said. So they sent him some products with no redeeming value.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/14/man-returns-4-7-million-check-to-haribo-gets-sweets-in-return/

His name wasn't on the freaking check,  @samhexum

3 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Anywhere the story's been printed.  I can't be the only one reacting negatively to their concept of a reward.  Because of this story I am NEVER going to buy that brand (that I've never even considered trying, let alone buying).

Cute songs…I don’t see bad PR?

If you're really a Good Samaritan, you do the right thing without seeking a reward because doing the right thing is its own reward.  If he really called them hoping for a reward, and called back again looking for a better payoff, he's no longer a Good Samaritan.

The check was uncashable by anyone but the recipient and Haribo could easily have stopped payment. It's nice that he called, but he isn't exactly saving the galaxy here.  Still, they sent something.  That was a nice gesture.  Then he got greedy.  Boo.

Edited by Scott Virginian

On 11/14/2022 at 8:16 PM, samhexum said:

I found Thendependent's story about the cat visiting his owner in the hospital far more iny

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

It's Germany... they do all sorts of weird, kinky stuff.

No they don't.

Not in Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt,  Heidelberg  or Kaiserslautern

I spent Thanksgiving to  New Year's in  Germany one  year 

The food as well as German men were amazing

Edited by WilliamM

47 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

I spent Thanksgiving to  New Year's in  Germany one  year 

The food as well as German men were amazing

The best meal I had in Germany was the Wiener Schnitzel at the Cologne Zoo.  Delicious.  Very Fresh.  I wonder if it was locally sourced.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

23 hours ago, WilliamM said:

His name wasn't on the freaking check,  @samhexum

22 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Where have you seen bad PR on this? 

22 hours ago, Scott Virginian said:

If you're really a Good Samaritan, you do the right thing without seeking a reward because doing the right thing is its own reward.  If he really called them hoping for a reward, and called back again looking for a better payoff, he's no longer a Good Samaritan.

The check was uncashable by anyone but the recipient and Haribo could easily have stopped payment. It's nice that he called, but he isn't exactly saving the galaxy here.  Still, they sent something.  That was a nice gesture.  Then he got greedy.  Boo.

10 hours ago, arnie said:

But there was no real loss avoided to the company.  No one is just going to hand 4 million over to anyone trying to cash that check.  They would have just re issued it. But they do lack class.  

I never said they should fund his retirement.  But this is a very large company and what they sent him probably cost them bupkis.  And what if he and/or his family are diabetic?  Maybe it wasn't BAD PR, but they missed a chance to get some good PR.  Release a statement about the situation, thank him for his honesty and efforts (even if he couldn't have cashed the check) and say that since the check was for  €4,631,538.80, you are rewarding him with  €463.153880.  $470ish would make the company seem like a bunch of mensches who appreciate mensches.

mensch
plural noun: mensches
  1. a person of integrity and honor.

13 minutes ago, samhexum said:

The best meal I had in Germany was the Wiener Schnitzel at the Cologne Zoo.  Delicious.  Very Fresh.  I wonder if it was locally sourced.

Doubt it.   The first post Second Would War Two leader was the mayor of Cologne  A good man and the equal of Churchill and deGaull

13 hours ago, samhexum said:

I never said they should fund his retirement.  But this is a very large company and what they sent him probably cost them bupkis.  And what if he and/or his family are diabetic?  Maybe it wasn't BAD PR, but they missed a chance to get some good PR.  Release a statement about the situation, thank him for his honesty and efforts (even if he couldn't have cashed the check) and say that since the check was for  €4,631,538.80, you are rewarding him with  €463.153880.  $470ish would make the company seem like a bunch of mensches who appreciate mensches.

mensch
plural noun: mensches
  1. a person of integrity and honor.

I believe any kind of monetary reward would seem paltry compared to the amount of the check.  And while the company was not likely to lose any money as a result of the lost check, it probably saved them a lot of time with record keeping.  My suggestion, the company should have made a reasonable charitable donation in the finder's name and given a token amount to him.  For the company it is would likely cost less than one of their horrible commercials in which adults speak as though they are cildren.  Good publicity, a time saving return of the check, a reward for the finder.  That sounds like a win all around to me.  

Edited by purplekow

I'm trying to lose weight here and ya'll are going to make me fat.  

4 hours ago, samhexum said:

Maybe it wasn't BAD PR, but they missed a chance to get some good PR.  

This is one of those situations where even bad PR can be good PR.  Could they have done more?  Sure... but I agree with Scott...

On 11/15/2022 at 4:26 PM, Scott Virginian said:

I've already spent more time thinking about this than it deserves.  Moving right along.  🤭

On 11/17/2022 at 11:42 AM, RadioRob said:

I've already spent more time thinking about this than it deserves.  Moving right along.

Couldn't agree more. But I will add that, as one poster already said, and was suggested when it was discussed on TV here, the company could have had better publicity if they had made a donation of €1,000 to a charity of his choice.

I think you do good because you’re not an asshole. You don’t do good for hopes of reaping a reward. 

I dropped my phone in the parking lot of a plumbing supply store during the dead of winter. After searching with every employee for a solid 10 minutes in the bitter cold, the salesman said “hey, ya know I saw John (a customer) bend over and pick something up as he was leaving.”  We call John and John says yeah, I picked up a cell phone in the parking lot as I was leaving. The sales guy, befuddled said, “do you wanna bring it back?” And John says I was gunna look for the owner when I got home. The sales guy says the highest likelihood of finding the owner would have been to bring it into the store. He asks John to come back. I’m annoyed and befuddled that he took it with him, but appreciative that he’s bringing it back.

When John arrives, he immediately says how irresponsible I was for dropping the phone, and begins to ridicule me for not noticing that it fell out of my pocket when I slipped on the ice. He says he watched it happen and couldn’t believe I didn’t notice, and that I should pay more attention keeping track of valuable property. The staff looked on puzzled.

I don’t usually get angry but I was pissed. I said you watched the phone fall out of my pocket. You saw me go inside, and instead of waiting in your car for me to leave, or bring it inside where you knew I was, you drove off with my phone?   

So then he says, in front of the staff as he takes it out of his pocket, “ya know, I drove back here in bad weather to make sure you had your phone, what’s that worth to you?”  I said you want a reward for returning property that you stole from me?  Are you kidding? 

He dug in and said that it would have cost me a lot more to replace the phone and I should give him something for returning it. I yanked my phone out of his hand and said something along the lines of his reward being that I wouldn’t beat his ass in front of the plumbing supply house that he frequents and saving him the embarrassment of having to explain why he had a black eye, maybe two to his family just before Christmas. I then called him an asshole, “gently” body checked him as I made my way out and left. 

I would never allow myself to be enriched through someone else’s misfortune. I dream about finding someone’s lost dog and not accepting the reward. I don’t like the culture of monetarily incentivizing people to do the right thing. 

I really love the culture of monetarily incentivizing strippers to do all the things though.