Accommodation recommendations for Sao Paolo and Rio

mixer17

Going back to Rio and Sao Paolo after a long hiatus.   Looking for recommendations on where to stay!  

Looking for something moderately priced (<200/night) and in a safe area.  New renovations/ new builds would be nice.  Copacabana or Ipanema in Rio.  Open to suggestions in SP location wise. Thanks in advance . 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mixer17 said:

I am looking to rent some nice condo in SP and RJ during my visit this December and I was wondering if I would have any trouble bringing in GP? Does anyone have any experiences? 

I am unsure, but I think I responded your question in the other forum. I always rent airbnbs in my travels to South America, and never had any issues bringing GPs, sometimes more than one, and even to stay overnight. 

So far the AirBNBs I have found want me to pre-register the “guests” i plan to have over by sending over their credentials in advance and they need to stop by reception for verification.   They also are not allowed to stay overnight.  :( seems to be same/similar requirements on all the hosts I asked. 

11 hours ago, FrankR said:

WTF? Please stop speaking in code. 🤫 My grandma used to say that if you dont say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. 

What codes did I use?  RJ, SP and GP are very common and unmistakable acronyms.  Or at least they are  in the Americas board.  My parents used to say if you have nothing nice to say then don’t say anything at all.  Petty.

Edited by mixer17

35 minutes ago, mixer17 said:

So far the AirBNBs I have found want me to pre-register the “guests” i plan to have over by sending over their credentials in advance and they need to stop by reception for verification.   They also are not allowed to stay overnight.  :( seems to be same/similar requirements on all the hosts I asked. 

What can I say! I have never had such trouble. 

17 hours ago, mixer17 said:

I am looking to rent some nice condo in SP and RJ during my visit this December and I was wondering if I would have any trouble bringing in GP? Does anyone have any experiences? 

My General Practitioner has started doing housecalls since the uptick of telemedicine has made working without an office more feasible.  But when I visit Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, I seek out a medical clinic when needed instead of relying on a hotel doctor or finding a General Practitioner to make a hotel visit.

So 4 WIW, when in PV with an STI and need a GP, find a clinic rather than rely on Hotel GP, but YMMV.  GL, SS, &HF!  TTFN

Edited by Vegas_nw1982
Revised for clarity

32 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

My General Practitioner has started doing housecalls since the uptick of telemedicine has made working without an office more feasible.  But when I visit Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, I seek out a medical clinic when needed instead of relying on a hotel doctor or finding a General Practitioner to make a hotel visit.

So 4 WIW, when in PV with an STI and need a GP, find a clinic rather than rely on Hotel GP, but YMMV.  GL, SS, &HF!  TTFN

While General Practitioner is not commonsensical for the context of my question, I completely understand where you are coming from about abbreviations and acronyms.  I will remember for next time that I cannot use them without receiving negative responses from some forum members that need to be spoon-fed. 

Edited by mixer17

On 11/12/2022 at 3:25 PM, mixer17 said:

Going back to Rio and Sao Paolo after a long hiatus.   Looking for recommendations on where to stay!  

Looking for something moderately priced (<200/night) and in a safe area.  New renovations/ new builds would be nice.  Copacabana or Ipanema in Rio.  Open to suggestions in SP location wise. Thanks in advance . 

You did not say if it is in December you plan to visit Brazil.   You also did not say for how long you would visit each city you mentioned (Rio and Sao Paulo).

You do know, I assume, that December is probably the worse month to visit Brazil.  You have Christmas that month.  Over the years, I noticed the garotos and many shops and restaurants expect "presents" for the holiday even though they do not know you.  Some garotos that get to know you from the sauna or elsewhere can repeat their begging to a point it is annoying.  

You said your budget is somewhere around two hundred dollars each night at a hotel.  

When I stay in Sao Paulo, I usually use the Renaissance Hotel located one block from Avenida Paulista.  It is a two to three dollar Uber ride back and forth to the hotel with regard to sauna Lagoa.  

Over the years, I have had countless visitors meet me in the hotel.  You must meet the visitor in the lobby (there are  phones in the lobby and the visitor calls you on their arrival or you set a time to meet in the lobby).  You and your guest walk to the elevators where you must use your room key to operate the elevator.  Like I said, I have never had any hotel employee ask about visitors.   That is an excellent hotel in a wonderful neighborhood of Sao Paulo. 

If you decide on the above hotel, do not use a hotel booking service for your reservation.  The hotel is part of the Marriott hotel chain.  Go directly on the site for Marriot and book your reservation.  If you have AAA auto club, you will get a discount on the room rate.  If you plan to stay more than ten nights, you will get a "long term stay" discount.  You will not get these discounts if you book through a hotel agency.  

In Rio, I stay at the Marriot in Copacabana.  The area there where Marriott is located is not the best but it is relatively safe and the hotel is nice.  It is within walking distance of sauna 202, if you are a fast walker.  If you prefer, an Uber will take you there in less than ten minutes.  

If you want to save hotel money to spend on garotos, you could stay at the Novotel in Centro.  It is not a fancy hotel but you will not be bothered if you have visitors and you will save money.  Coincidently, just across the street from Novatel is a restaurant that has been in business more than fifty years.  It is not a great restaurant but is has quite a nice selection of various and unusual items.  The name of the restaurant is Estadao and can be seen just fifty feet from the Novotel hotel.  

I hope the above helps in your decision about visiting Brazil.   

Edited by coriolis888
spelling

36 minutes ago, coriolis888 said:

You did not say if it in December you plan to visit Brazil.   You also did not say for how long you would visit each city you mentioned (Rio and Sao Paulo).

You do know, I assume, that December is probably the worse month to visit Brazil.  You have Christmas that month.  Over the years, I noticed the garotos and many shops and restaurants expect "presents" for the holiday even though they do not know you.  Some garotos that get to know you from the sauna or elsewhere can repeat their begging to a point it is annoying.  

You said your budget is somewhere around two hundred dollars each night at a hotel.  

When I stay in Sao Paulo, I usually use the Renaissance Hotel located one block from Avenida Paulista.  It is a two to three dollar Uber ride back and forth to the hotel with regard to sauna Lagoa.  

Over the years, I have had countless visitors meet me in the hotel.  You must meet the visitor in the lobby (there are  phones in the lobby and the visitor calls you on their arrival or you set a time to meet in the lobby).  You and your guest walk to the elevators where you must use your room key to operate the elevator.  Like I said, I have never had any hotel employee ask about visitors.   That is an excellent hotel in a wonderful neighborhood of Sao Paulo. 

If you decide on the above hotel, do not use a hotel booking service for your reservation.  The hotel is part of the Marriott hotel chain.  Go directly on the site for Marriot and book your reservation.  If you have AAA auto club, you will get a discount on the room rate.  If you plan to stay more than ten nights, you will get a "long term stay" discount.  You will not get these discounts if you book through a hotel agency.  

In Rio, I stay at the Marriot in Copacabana.  The area there where Marriott is located is not the best but it is relatively safe and the hotel is nice.  It is within walking distance of sauna 202, if you are a fast walker.  If you prefer, an Uber will take you there in less than ten minutes.  

If you want to save hotel money to spend on garotos, you could stay at the Novotel in Centro.  It is not a fancy hotel but you will not be bothered if you have visitors and you will save money.  Coincidently, just across the street from Novatel is a restaurant that has been in business more than fifty years.  It is not a great restaurant but is has quite a nice selection of various and unusual items.  The name of the restaurant is Estadao and can be seen just fifty feet from the Novotel hotel.  

I hope the above helps in your decision about visiting Brazil.   

I am still fiddling with my dates but so far it is Dec 1-4 in SP, 4-8 Rio then 8-11 SP. Then I am back to the US for another week vacation with friends. Im looking at hotel Ca'd'oro in SP. and booked Grand Mercure in Rio.  Renaissance was one of my options in SP, its currently running around 250 per night.   Ca'd'oro around 140. Ca'd'oro is well reviewed on TripAdvisor but the info you provided  about Renaissance weighs heavier.  Haha!! Thanks for the Info! 

44 minutes ago, mixer17 said:

I am still fiddling with my dates but so far it is Dec 1-4 in SP, 4-8 Rio then 8-11 SP. Then I am back to the US for another week vacation with friends. Im looking at hotel Ca'd'oro in SP. and booked Grand Mercure in Rio.  Renaissance was one of my options in SP, its currently running around 250 per night.   Ca'd'oro around 140. Ca'd'oro is well reviewed on TripAdvisor but the info you provided  about Renaissance weighs heavier.  Haha!! Thanks for the Info! 

The hotel you chose is in a decent area.  It is also less than half the price of the  Renaissance Hotel.  

If you plan to visit the sauna Lagoa, you will be very close.  At most, a two or three dollar Uber ride.  

Have a good trip.  

It might be your first and last time visiting Rio during NYE.

I did it once.  The crowds were so huge that I could not see anything in front of me except for the backs of people ahead of me in long lines.  

Most prices, including hotels, doubled or at least went up by 30 or 40 percent. 

If you like massive crowds, you will not be disappointed.  

You said your friend "dropped out of the trip" which makes me wonder if he decided to abandon the trip after hearing about the massive crowds that historically make the event more pandemonium than fun.  

On 11/28/2022 at 7:21 PM, coriolis888 said:

It might be your first and last time visiting Rio during NYE.

I did it once.  The crowds were so huge that I could not see anything in front of me except for the backs of people ahead of me in long lines.  

Most prices, including hotels, doubled or at least went up by 30 or 40 percent. 

If you like massive crowds, you will not be disappointed.  

You said your friend "dropped out of the trip" which makes me wonder if he decided to abandon the trip after hearing about the massive crowds that historically make the event more pandemonium than fun.  

He wanted to be back in the states for work by the 29th so the dates didn’t work out. Didn’t realize it would be so crowded. I don’t have too much of a problem with crowds and plan to cab everywhere. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:43 PM, Thisishard said:

Will anyone be in Rio during NYE? Planning on going Dec 28th to Jan 4th friend dropped out of the trip and would love to have someone on the ground to connect with while there. It’ll be my first time visiting.

Since it’s your first time, be aware that you would not likely be able to easily get to (and out of) Copacabana for the NYE ‘Reveillon’ fireworks at midnight, and rubbing shoulders with some 2-3 million others, whether moving by taxi, ride platforms, or Metro for that matter as the latter can only transport a small fraction on the subway by reserved fare advance ticket times. If it’s on your bucket list (overrated and oppressively crowded from my point of view) be aware that you would likely need to be staying in Copacabana, though it’s possible to walk from Ipanema especially it’s eastern section. If you are not staying in either area, you could conceivably get to Copacabana earlier on 31 December and stay through the night primarily outdoors until able to get back out later on 1 January. That would be far more ambitious than I would find it worth.

Unfortunately, the vantage point of the fireworks launch barges is not amenable to being viewed from other city districts particularly those close to the water. But you can find many videos of past displays on YouTube if you want to get an idea of the appeal. Similarly, if you get a coveted Copacabana Beach rooftop party ticket, note that getting in and out of the zone other than by foot would be daunting. 

Edited by SirBillybob