The medicated generation?

Pensant

11 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

I've also noticed an influx of 'home-schooled' Freshmen students this year at the Univ.  I'm not talking 'Covid Home-schooled' from 2020-21, I'm talking home-schooled all their lives. They are the most neurotic, anti-social generation of students I have ever met. 

I’ve never heard that about home-schooling. I know only a small sample: two nephews. They’re both successful married young men with children and seem centered.

I take psychiatric medication for OCD and it definitely helps. However, most of my real progress came in the form of therapy. Most young people cannot afford the kind of therapy one needs to tackle entrenched issues with anxiety and depression. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (which is shown to be more effective than any med) takes 6 to 12 months to see real progress. And most insurances - particularly the kind of Obamacare, catastrophic plans that younger people get - do not cover mental health in a real way. But they will cover anti-depressants. So these young people are left to be on meds for years, instead of getting a year or two of real therapy that would teach them the skills they need to live their lives. 

5 hours ago, Pensant said:

I’ve never heard that about home-schooling. I know only a small sample: two nephews. They’re both successful married young men with children and seem centered.

Sounds like they are much older than the students I'm working with who are 18 -20. 

I think a lot of stuff is essentially performance enhancing to meet the needs of the modern working world.  Our environment has changed much faster than most people's capacity to adapt.  We can say "back in our day" all we want, but frankly a pretty high proportion of my high school class wound up dead or strung out on booze and illegal drugs, or just in shitty circumstances due to their inability to keep their shit at least partially together.. Maybe they'd have been better off taking prozac and ritalin and holding down a job and, you know, being alive.

I come from a family of high IQ underachievers, and I suspect a little medication would have done wonders for most of my siblings in terms of life outcomes. So for people of lesser aptitude, where the lower end of their range of outcomes is a lot worse, I don't think it's weakness to get some of that help.

4 hours ago, sniper said:

I think a lot of stuff is essentially performance enhancing to meet the needs of the modern working world.  Our environment has changed much faster than most people's capacity to adapt.  We can say "back in our day" all we want, but frankly a pretty high proportion of my high school class wound up dead or strung out on booze and illegal drugs, or just in shitty circumstances due to their inability to keep their shit at least partially together.. Maybe they'd have been better off taking prozac and ritalin and holding down a job and, you know, being alive.

I come from a family of high IQ underachievers, and I suspect a little medication would have done wonders for most of my siblings in terms of life outcomes. So for people of lesser aptitude, where the lower end of their range of outcomes is a lot worse, I don't think it's weakness to get some of that help.

Unfortunately, that's usually the case.

Professors and managers don't wait for people to finish therapy; they want them productive right now!I Hence all the medications.

21 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

I've also noticed an influx of 'home-schooled' Freshmen students this year at the Univ.  I'm not talking 'Covid Home-schooled' from 2020-21, I'm talking home-schooled all their lives. They are the most neurotic, anti-social generation of students I have ever met. 

Some kids are home schooled because their parents are super religious,.but there's a not small subset who are homeschooled because they are on the spectrum and would simply get eaten alive in a school setting. But while homeschoolinh prevented the bullying, the parents may not have thought or taken steps to prepare them for the outside world.