Edward Hopper at the Whitney Museum

foxy

Edward Hopper is I think the quintessential American painter and perhaps the quintessential New York City painter. So many wonderful cityscapes to see and museum goers were so talkative today. I heard a number of people say they knew where a painting was created and a few times I heard people say “I was born in that neighborhood”. It’s a wonderful show that deserves several viewings. I was especially taken with a display of magazine covers he created. His paintings are like stills from a movie that come with their own screenplay. The emotion from the people he painted comes pouring out from his canvasses. 

1D5E3568-9860-4D3D-A91C-3B41F73A2FEF.png

• 2 weeks later...

The exhibit ( a retrospective of a wide time-line in his career ) was interesting to see because of the many varied aspects of his work beyond the familiar minimalist oil paintings of light and shadow. I think the most surprising was the very fine illustration work he did for magazine covers.  The exhibit includes his pen and ink, charcoal & watercolor work which all help you to understand his evolution toward painting with a heavy emphasis on light and space. 

Edited by pubic_assistance

• 1 month later...

Loved it, so smartly and carefully curated, with some video of old NY trains, etc to allow you see what Hopper was seeing. A remarkable retrospective that showed so many stages of his life as an artist. Wish they could have gotten Nighthawks from the CAI, but the sketches were a nice peek. Fun to see his sketchbooks, (and fun to have a dozen young art students with their sketchbooks sketching Hopper's work.) Will definitely merit a return visit.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this exhibit 2 weekends ago and agree it's fantastic.  Hopper's works use light (and dark) and characters in a unique way, the characters have a lifeless, soulless quality about them but always accentuated by light which makes you focus on the "bigger picture" and try to figure what's going on in the scene.  If you are or plan to be in NYC, it's a must see.