Actress Nia Long dealing with very public betrayal

samhexum

I didn't know if this belonged here, or in the sports forum, or in comedy and tragedy.

If you follow sports even slightly, you've heard by now that the Boston Celtics have suspended their coach Ime Udoka (who, in his first year on the job, won accolades for leading them to the finals last season) for the upcoming season after reports surfaced that he had a (consensual) relationship with a female Celtics employee.

I'm not a Celtics fan, so I only skimmed one story about it and thus knew that he had a fiance, but not much more. Then today:

Nia Long was blindsided by the affair her fiancé Ime Udoka had with a Celtics employee.

That’s according to TMZ, which reports that Udoka “kept her in the dark about his affair, even though the team busted him months ago.” The Celtics began investigating the coach’s affair in July, but he apparently did not reveal it to his longterm significant other until the last several days, when Udoka “knew it was about to go public.”

The report added that the couple was house hunting in Boston recently after Long moved to the city.

What a dick!  And not in a good way!

4 hours ago, samhexum said:

...Nia Long was blindsided by the affair her fiancé Ime Udoka had with a Celtics employee...

If they weren't married, then it wasn't an affair. It was pre-marital sex. I feel a song coming on....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nia Long is speaking out. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the actress, producer and director opened up for the first time about what it was like to have her family's private business broadcast to the world and also revealed the Celtics never contacted her after news of Udoka's reported affair became public.

“I think the most heartbreaking thing about all of this was seeing my son’s face when the Boston Celtics organization decided to make a very private situation public,” says Long, who took her son out of school when the news broke. “It was devastating, and it still is. He still has moments where it’s not easy for him. If you’re in the business of protecting women — I’m sorry, no one from the Celtics organization has even called to see if I’m OK, to see if my children are OK. It’s very disappointing.”

Long wouldn't comment on the status of her relationship with Udoka. She did say how grateful she was for the huge amount of support she got on social media, which helped her deal with the intense scrutiny that came after the news broke.

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 2:58 PM, samhexum said:

The Brooklyn Nets are hiring Udoka (with Boston's blessing) to be the new coach of their dysfunctional squad, which includes anti-semite Kyrie Irving, probably the most disruptive player in the league.

He didn't get that job, but was hired today to coach the Houston Rockets.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:54 PM, WilliamM said:

What is ABBA?   A European soft drink?

Or did they win a Novel Prize for Literature

Abba Seafood AB, formerly Abba AB, with head offices in Gothenburg, Sweden, is a company producing preserved fish products. The main factory is located in Kungshamn.

They never won a Novel Prize (or even a Nobel Prize), but they won the 1974 Eurovision song contest (as Olivia Neutron Bomb would go on to do in a subsequent year).