Not planning to have sex… can I stop prep and resume later?

7829V

Due to monkey pox vaccine, I’m not planning to have sex / massages in at least 6 weeks. Should I stop prep and resume later? I was planning to not tell my doctor, so I can save a bottle of prep for when I travel for a long period of time or as a back up. Is this a good idea? 

2 hours ago, 7829V said:

"...so I can save a bottle of prep for when I travel for a long period of time or as a back up..."

Before you travel, tell your pharmacy and insurance company you need extra bottle(s) now because you're going to be traveling for a long period of time.  This approach has worked for me when I know I will be traveling near the time when I'm about to need a refill.

37 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Before you travel, tell your pharmacy and insurance company you need extra bottle(s) now because you're going to be traveling for a long period of time.  This approach has worked for me when I know I will be traveling near the time when I'm about to need a refill.

My snowbird neighbors tried to get extra meds in advance their first year.  They were going to another state for four months.  Their Rx provider said no, but they could mail meds to an alternate address when due for refills.  

15 hours ago, bashful said:

My snowbird neighbors tried to get extra meds in advance their first year.  They were going to another state for four months.  Their Rx provider said no, but they could mail meds to an alternate address when due for refills.  

I told my pharmacy/insurance I was going on a 30 day cruise.  I would give them my days in each port, if they wanted to try to mail me my meds to the cruise ship.  They gave in and let me fill my prescription in advance of the trip.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

17 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Thanks. I’ve Kaiser not sure how flexible they are in these type of situations 

17 hours ago, bashful said:

I see. Mmh. I usually travel internationally to visit friends or family. I wonder if they’ll be willing to pay extra for the shipping.  I’ll ask. :)

Tell your MD about your plan.  During COVID, I told my MD about my plan to stop taking it and resume later.  She agreed.  I also told her I wanted to keep filling my prescription as I was going to retire and my great health insurance with no copay would require one in the future and I wanted to build up a little supply.  She had no issue about my approach and allowed me to build up about a two-month supply.  

8 hours ago, Rudynate said:

You can get a generic from offshore for an absurdly low price - around $75.00/month. 

It doesn't look as if it's overly-difficult to get it for under $50/month right here in the USA:

https://www.goodrx.com/truvada

Next, pick a pharmacy to get a coupon

On 9/14/2022 at 3:34 PM, 7829V said:

Due to monkey pox vaccine, I’m not planning to have sex / massages in at least 6 weeks. Should I stop prep and resume later? I was planning to not tell my doctor, so I can save a bottle of prep for when I travel for a long period of time or as a back up. Is this a good idea? 

It may be a good idea if you are concerned about the cost but I suggest staying on the medication to maintain the habit of taking the pill every day. Consider the impact if you miss doses of PrEP, when you resume having sex simply because you were no longer in the habit of taking the medication every day.