Inserting hyperlinks

nate_sf

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't find the option for highlighting text and inserting a hyperlink. I thought it used to be among the options at the top of the post window. Did it move, or is there another way to insert a hyperlink?

I'm using Firefox on a MacBook if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Firefox on a windows machine here, but that aside...

I've found changing the zoom level (and it seems to be inconsistent as to whether zooming up or down does it) adds extra formatting options. As I'm typing, the chain is there and I get more icons after a few changes of zoom level in both directions. I've had trouble with the strike-through icon which sometimes doesn't appear no matter what I do.

9 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

Rob addressed this in some other post.  I can't remember the upshot, but I bet if you make your screen wider, or try on a different browser or device, you may see it. 

5 hours ago, mike carey said:

Firefox on a windows machine here, but that aside...

I've found changing the zoom level (and it seems to be inconsistent as to whether zooming up or down does it) adds extra formatting options. As I'm typing, the chain is there and I get more icons after a few changes of zoom level in both directions. I've had trouble with the strike-through icon which sometimes doesn't appear no matter what I do.

This is the question I asked a while back.  Rob answered that the "chain" icon was still there and provided a screenshot.  I hadn't had a chance to check that out until this post: the chain icon is not present for me (chrome on windows) even though it used to be.  @mike carey, what do you mean by "changing the zoom level?"  Where do I change it and what, exactly, do I need to do?

1 minute ago, newatthis said:

This is the question I asked a while back.  Rob answered that the "chain" icon was still there and provided a screenshot.  I hadn't had a chance to check that out until this post: the chain icon is not present for me (chrome on windows) even though it used to be.  @mike carey, what do you mean by "changing the zoom level?"  Where do I change it and what, exactly, do I need to do?

Whatever you do on your browser to make the text bigger or smaller.  On Firefox on my Mac it's command + or -.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Slater said:

Whatever you do on your browser to make the text bigger or smaller.  On Firefox on my Mac it's command + or -.

On Firefox on my Windows computer it's CTRL + or -

Essentially it magnifies everything on your screen (or makes it smaller). In Firefox, in the bar at the top of the screen there is the URL and to the right of that the magnification level (I see 133% atm).

7 minutes ago, Kevin Slater said:

4 minutes ago, mike carey said:

On Firefox on my Windows computer it's CTRL + or -

Thanks.  That's what I thought mike meant and I tried it before posting, but it didn't solve the problem.  (btw, I also don't have the strikethrough icon, and don't think I've ever had it.)  I suppose I could switch to firefox just for reading these forums....

There is actually still an issue I’m tracking still. 

Nate’s issue was that he accidentally demoted himself.  (I fixed that which also fixed his editor issue.) There is another issue where the supporters/members group can’t access the link button.  I’m still digging into it sine it in theory should be there and active for the groups. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK...  I think I got to the bottom of what was going on with the links button.  

In order to limit the impact of spammers, new accounts have certain restrictions on them that will automatically moderate posts that contain links.  (There are a few other limits such as not being able to send more than 10 private messages per day.)

This is done so that if a spammer does get through our automated defenses, there is less impact to members.  The system is not perfect (for example someone could paste a link without HTTP or HTTPS such as just saying "www.whitehouse.gov", but it does catch quite a bit of bad stuff.

So what does all this have to do with the editor?  

There is a bug/limitation within IPB that even though the moderation is applied only to the Newbies group, it removed the link button in the editor for everyone that was not set to be able to bypass link moderation.  In order to bring the button back, I had to add a permission of "Bypass Link Moderation" for both the Members and Supporters group.