Monkey Pox & Massages

Guest untakenalias

On 7/17/2022 at 12:09 PM, Redwine56 said:

Is there any truth to if we've received the chicken pox vaccine in our younger years, it will help against monkey pox?  I've had the chicken pox in my teens and may have taken the vaccine after that when it became available.  I'll share with you guys that I attended my first au natural wine and cheese gathering in NYC to celebrate Bastille Day.  Doing something like that was way out of character and my comfort zone for me but after a few glasses of wine, caution is thrown to the wind.  It was a friendly group which was portrayed to be a social gathering but by the last half hour with everyone feeling good, guys start getting frisky.  This thread makes me think it wasn't the ideal time for me to make my debut between monkeypox and the increasing rate of coronavirus.  You've got to think of going to the gym as well.  Skin contact and sweating on machines is a point of contact.  Best to wipe off machines/bikes before using.

Nope—chicken pox and shingles shot don’t help. they say people who had the smallpox vaccine may have some protection.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:05 PM, FrankR said:

I hear this all the time - folks confuse smallpox vaccine with chickenpox vaccine. Smallpox vaccine will provide protection for monkeypox, chickenpox vaccine won’t. Please do consult with a medical professional - I am not one. Ive just been reading up. 

Has anyone over 50 who had the smallpox vaccine gotten monkey pox? It’s not clear.

On 7/17/2022 at 3:55 PM, Redwine56 said:

Well then, I'm certain we've all gotten the smallpox vaccine. . . However, many years ago.  Can we be hopeful that it may offer some protection from the monkeypox?

They stopped giving it in the US in 1972. 

6 minutes ago, ontheroad said:

Has anyone over 50 who had the smallpox vaccine gotten monkey pox? It’s not clear.

The CDC said the smallpox vaccine from 50 years ago may provide "some protection" but I doubt they really know. 

The NY Health Dept response has been a comedy of errors. 

To get back to the original topic I'm pausing massages til I get vaccinated as a precaution. 

5 minutes ago, Mustang said:

The CDC said the smallpox vaccine from 50 years ago may provide "some protection" but I doubt they really know. 

I wish they would say how many people over 50 have gotten it. It would at least give some indication whether the thought has truth. I mean 30 something’s aren’t the only ones with multiple partners!

18 minutes ago, ontheroad said:

I wish they would say how many people over 50 have gotten it. It would at least give some indication whether the thought has truth. I mean 30 something’s aren’t the only ones with multiple partners!

Here's a link to the data (updated weekly). All men and a few trans persons. Median age is 35 but goes up to 69. 

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/health-topics/monkeypox.page

Edited by Mustang
Type-o

I had a massage scheduled this past Saturday with one of my favorites. He cancelled on Friday morning because the previous Sunday he had been exposed to monkeypox (he was at brunch with and had smooched on a friend who was hospitalized a couple of days later).

As of Friday, my masseur hadn't shown any symptoms, but he didn't want to risk it. Really appreciated that -- he could have seen me, took my money, and not said a word.

11 minutes ago, BigNoiseDallas said:

As of Friday, my masseur hadn't shown any symptoms, but he didn't want to risk it. Really appreciated that -- he could have seen me, took my money, and not said a word.

He should get the vax if he can. It may not appear for a few weeks.

1 hour ago, ontheroad said:

He should get the vax if he can. It may not appear for a few weeks.

Yes I agree, he should still get the vax, I read somewhere recently that it can take unto 3 weeks to show,🤷‍♂️

Edited by JUWS

11 hours ago, BigNoiseDallas said:

I had a massage scheduled this past Saturday with one of my favorites. He cancelled on Friday morning because the previous Sunday he had been exposed to monkeypox (he was at brunch with and had smooched on a friend who was hospitalized a couple of days later).

Gotta credit and admire his frankness at his own expense.

5 minutes ago, TorontoDrew said:

11.3% of cases in Ontario, Canada are men over 50 (27 of 237 cases).  You can draw your own conclusions. 

My conclusion is that the smallpox vaccine that this age group most likely received as many years ago may be a detterant from getting infected OR the over 50 crowd is not as promiscuous as the younger crowd.

20 minutes ago, Redwine56 said:

My conclusion is that the smallpox vaccine that this age group most likely received as many years ago may be a detterant from getting infected OR the over 50 crowd is not as promiscuous as the younger crowd.

I think it's more likely the second.  I am in that age group but I still went and got the vaccine as soon as it became available.  I don't trust a shot I got almost 60 years ago.

I talked to my doc yesterday. He said my smallpox vaccination may offer some protection, but I should get a monkeypox vaccination.  He's gay and sex positive and knows what I do and approximately how many people I do it with. He said, "continue with your current partners but avoid new contacts until you've been vaccinated".  He mentioned spas and massages as risks to avoid. 

3 hours ago, ruminant said:

I talked to my doc yesterday. He said my smallpox vaccination may offer some protection, but I should get a monkeypox vaccination.  He's gay and sex positive and knows what I do and approximately how many people I do it with. He said, "continue with your current partners but avoid new contacts until you've been vaccinated".  He mentioned spas and massages as risks to avoid. 

Thanks, where are you located? Just curious as looking for a gay sex approving doc, 😂

10 minutes ago, JUWS said:

Thanks, where are you located? Just curious as looking for a gay sex approving doc, 😂

I'd like to know if the vaccine for the monkeypox is truly a vaccine that will keep one safe from infection.  Unlike with the  COVID so called vaccine with people vaxed & boosted and still getting infected with all the new variants that keep mutating.  I'm thinking to look at the COVID 'vaccine' as a flu shot.  New variants cause the need for continuous shots to hopefully hold against new variants.  To me, a vaccine is one and done.

11 hours ago, JUWS said:

Ditto here in NYC. I need a new primary doc. I’ve always had a gay doc but they keep pulling out of Obamacare plans. (Sorry for going slightly off topic, please DM if you have suggestions). 

Back on topic… getting MP vax today!

Edited by EVdude

On 7/17/2022 at 2:55 PM, Redwine56 said:

Well then, I'm certain we've all gotten the smallpox vaccine. . . However, many years ago.  Can we be hopeful that it may offer some protection from the monkeypox?

I have read some reports that the smallpox vaccine that we used to get as kids may offer some protection against monkey pox as the vaccine remains active in the body for a very long time.

13 hours ago, Brad1212 said:

I have read some reports that the smallpox vaccine that we used to get as kids may offer some protection against monkey pox as the vaccine remains active in the body for a very long time.

Based on your listed birthdate of 1977, you wouldn't have received a smallpox vaccine as a child in the US. I was born in 1972 and didn't get one until I did a smallpox vaccine study in 2002.