Queer as Folk Reboot (Peacock)

1 hour ago, BSR said:

Showtime's "Queer as Folk" was the American version of  the British series.  Now they're remaking it?  I didn't love the 2000-2005 series, didn't hate it either.  But I would much prefer that they come up with an original idea for a new gay series.

Not sure why we need a reboot of this show (or most others, for that matter). I watched the first couple of seasons and then grew tired of it and stopped. 

3 hours ago, BSR said:

Showtime's "Queer as Folk" was the American version of  the British series.  Now they're remaking it?  I didn't love the 2000-2005 series, didn't hate it either.  But I would much prefer that they come up with an original idea for a new gay series.

My only exposure has been to the US version and I enjoyed it. I agree that a new idea would be better. QAF was yet another example of the US entertainment industry's belief that foreign film and television doesn't work in the US. This may be true, but it may be a self-fulfilling prophecy. So remaking someone else's narrative or an old one is what the US industry often does. There can still be good reasons for doing it. For example the political and cultural environment in which the gay community lives has changed, as have the prominence of 'other' strands of the LGBTIQ+ experience. If the propose of the remake is to include these things in the new version that's reasonable, if it's just to do it again it's not.

What can loosely be called 'remakes' of Romeo and Juliet have been going for a little while now, usually under a different name and nobody complains about that. There has been a debate in these forums about a cinematic remake of one of them that has attracted more heat than its earlier version would have for appropriating the original story. Of course QAF is not a single story the way R&J is, so its new version relies on name recognition not a compelling story.

6 hours ago, mike carey said:

My only exposure has been to the US version and I enjoyed it. I agree that a new idea would be better. QAF was yet another example of the US entertainment industry's belief that foreign film and television doesn't work in the US. This may be true, but it may be a self-fulfilling prophecy. So remaking someone else's narrative or an old one is what the US industry often does. There can still be good reasons for doing it. For example the political and cultural environment in which the gay community lives has changed, as have the prominence of 'other' strands of the LGBTIQ+ experience. If the propose of the remake is to include these things in the new version that's reasonable, if it's just to do it again it's not.

What can loosely be called 'remakes' of Romeo and Juliet have been going for a little while now, usually under a different name and nobody complains about that. There has been a debate in these forums about a cinematic remake of one of them that has attracted more heat than its earlier version would have for appropriating the original story. Of course QAF is not a single story the way R&J is, so its new version relies on name recognition not a compelling story.

The most obvious Romeo & Juliet remake is West Side Story, which copies the plot of R&J almost line for line.  But the plot is almost beside the point because West Side Story's great contribution to the arts was its dazzling and original music and dance.  Was there anything dazzling and original about the American remake of Queer as Folk?  If there was, I must have missed it.  Will there be even the faintest spark of originality in the latest remake?  Pffft ...

2 minutes ago, BSR said:

The most obvious Romeo & Juliet remake is West Side Story, which copies the plot of R&J almost line for line.  But the plot is almost beside the point because West Side Story's great contribution to the arts was its dazzling and original music and dance.  Was there anything dazzling and original about the American remake of Queer as Folk?  If there was, I must have missed it.  Will there be even the faintest spark of originality in the latest remake?  Pffft ...

No argument from me!

• 5 weeks later...

I’m on episode 5 of the reboot, and it’s growing on me. It’s definitely a departure from the early 2000s reboot. This time around, the cast is a decidedly more diverse group of trans, queer, disabled, gender non-binary, and people of color-identified characters. Episode 4 explores queer crip sexuality in ways I’ve never seen before on TV. There’s a millennial and Gen Z sensibility to the show, and the storylines reflect the concerns, desires, and experiences of a more diverse queer and trans community.

Bottom line: This is very different from the early 2000s reboot. 

18 hours ago, CheckCar said:

There’s a millennial and Gen Z sensibility to the show, and the storylines reflect the concerns, desires, and experiences of a more diverse queer and trans community.

Thanks for the warning... not that I planned to try it, but now I know to avoid it at any cost.

19 hours ago, CheckCar said:

I’m on episode 5 of the reboot, and it’s growing on me. It’s definitely a departure from the early 2000s reboot. This time around, the cast is a decidedly more diverse group of trans, queer, disabled, gender non-binary, and people of color-identified characters. Episode 4 explores queer crip sexuality in ways I’ve never seen before on TV. There’s a millennial and Gen Z sensibility to the show, and the storylines reflect the concerns, desires, and experiences of a more diverse queer and trans community.

Great 

5 hours ago, samhexum said:

Thanks for the warning... not that I planned to try it, but now I know to avoid it at any cost.

I hope you’ll reconsider. While no TV show can represent everything, this reboot has afforded me new insights into where some younger queer and trans folks are coming from.

With the ongoing and forthcoming attacks on our communities, we could use more cross-generational connections to sustain us for the fight.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:30 PM, CheckCar said:

I hope you’ll reconsider. While no TV show can represent everything, this reboot has afforded me new insights into where some younger queer and trans folks are coming from.

With the ongoing and forthcoming attacks on our communities, we could use more cross-generational connections to sustain us for the fight.

I enjoyed the first episode; interesting cast of characters - will probably continue to watch the rest of the season.  It will never be as good as the original UK version (obviously!) but it will do. 

On 6/29/2022 at 9:19 PM, FrankR said:

I enjoyed the first episode; interesting cast of characters - will probably continue to watch the rest of the season.  It will never be as good as the original UK version (obviously!) but it will do. 

Trust me, this version gets interesting in ways that the prior versions could not have imagined. For example: Episode 4.

• 2 months later...