Warren’s THE FRONT RUNNER

jeezifonly

In 1975, my not-out-19 year-old self read Patricia Nell Warren’s The Front Runner, which was lent to me by a summer job co-worker who figured I would find it interesting. He figured right.

Over the years there have been so many rumors about a screen adaptation- what big stars might be right for Harlan, and the greater number of actors who wouldn’t go near it…

My question: what’s stopping, say, Ryan Murphy, from creating a starry mini-series of it almost 50 years later?

Do I maybe need to re-read it? Maybe its just not a good source for filmed storytelling. I do remember that the third voice provided a lot of exposition and descriptive character internal conflict, and that the writing of those things were a lot of my favorite bits. 
Have you read this book? Do you think it is time to adapt it for streaming treatment? It took place pre-AIDS, in a time of homophobia that sadly seems relevant in today’s social climate. I think it would have to be set in the 1970’s as written. 

We know that assembling a cast of out actors is possible today it’s actually a small group of gay characters in the story. Anybody think of who might be right for Harlan or for the students he coaches? 
Has this ship sailed, about to disappear over the horizon?

It's been so long since the first rumors that someone famous had bought the rights to make it into a movie that I have forgotten all the details about why it never got made. I read the novel when it was new, and I honestly don't remember the characters or the plot. Aside from the fact that the main character was a gay athlete, an unusual twist in those days, it didn't make much impression on me.

• 1 month later...

The thing I recall most is a standard romance trope. The reader knows how much the older coach and his athlete are wanting to get past the obstacles, and rooting for the connection over several scenes, neither knowing how the other feels. Easier to do on the page than on film. Gorgeous anticipation. 

I read the novel and thought it was alright. Never really got into gay novels and haven't read one in decades. 

I do remember it was set against the background of the 1976 Montreal Olympics and written before that event. I didn't take much interest in those as well, even though I grew up in Montreal.