Which Theme Layout Do You Use?

BuffaloKyle

Which Theme Layout Do You Use The Most?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which Theme Layout Do You Use The Most?

• Company of Men (Light)
    • Company of Men (Dark)
    • Alternative
    • Legacy M4M
    • Legacy M4M (Dark)

I use the dark mode but switch back when some embedded images and the like were created with the assumption that they'd have a white background and don't work on a dark one.  Also, sometimes a member will manage to set the text that they type as black (which stays black on a dark background) rather than automatic, which adjusts. I can't know whether they did that deliberately or accidentally, or perhaps they imported that attribute from another application.

On 4/25/2022 at 6:43 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

Just wondering which theme you guys use most often when viewing the forum. Just curious I guess! I'm used to the Legacy M4M and like continuing to use that one. I will very rarely use the Dark format if the white version is bothering my eyes. 

I didn’t know that dark mode was available until I read your post. Thank you!

7 hours ago, CheckCar said:

I didn’t know that dark mode was available until I read your post. Thank you!

The Company of Men theme (both light and dark) have a toggle to switch light/dark mode in the upper right hand side of any page as well.

image.png

When in the light mode, the icon will be a little moon.  If you are in dark mode, the icon will be a light bulb.  :) 

If you click the icon to the left of dark mode, you can actually pick a different background image as well to further customize/personalize your experience.  

25 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

If you click the icon to the left of dark mode, you can actually pick a different background image as well to further customize/personalize your experience.  

I did that early on and discovered a useless but interesting piece of information. One of the backgrounds has a pattern of stars on it. When it comes up, as you scroll down the page the site overlay moves and the pattern remains fixed behind it, so the windows in the site overlay appear to have stars moving in them. Obviously that's how the background works, but with a single colour it isn't apparent that the background and the overlay remain as separate entities rather than the former being incorporated into a single thing.

My two cents worth for the day.

Just for giggles...  I went and checked the database for ACTUAL usage.  

Completely site wide... 65 people switched to a different theme and then switched back to the default.  Another 36 people currently use a different theme outside of the standard one.  

Company of Men (Dark) - 24 people
Legacy M4M - 11 people
Legacy M4M (Dark) - 1 person
Alternative - 0 people

A total of 3,066 unique user IDs logged in since the introduction of the new default theme (which has coincidentally been exactly one month today).  That means 98.8% of our users are actually using Company of Men (Light).  

7 minutes ago, mike carey said:

I did that early on and discovered a useless but interesting piece of information. One of the backgrounds has a pattern of stars on it. When it comes up, as you scroll down the page the site overlay moves and the pattern remains fixed behind it, so the windows in the site overlay appear to have stars moving in them. Obviously that's how the background works, but with a single colour it isn't apparent that the background and the overlay remain as separate entities rather than the former being incorporated into a single thing.

My two cents worth for the day.

All of the themes technically do this.  In the default theme:

image.png

image.png

That's the same exact page load but with me just scrolling the window down a little bit further.  

What is happening is those sections headers actually have no background color specified at all (making it transparent).  It was meant to give the theme more continuity with the background of the site regardless of what background image was picked and regardless if you were in light/dark mode.  

Order of preference: 

1). Legacy M4m (light and easy to navigate

2). COM light

3). the dark version of all platforms here just seem depressing and too bland to me~ Part of that is the font with the black background doesn’t work for me~ It’s difficult to read.

4). The alt version is too “cute” for my tastes~ 

• 3 months later...