DOn Carlos at the Met This Year and Next Year in Different Languages

WilliamM
This topic is 764 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I heard parts of the broadcast Monday night and it sounded very good. Looking forward to seeing the HD at the end of the month. 

And...one wonders if we will indeed see Netrebko back at the Met by then? (Even though Gelb has been rather cagey about exactly which Russian artists are not welcome there right now, I think bringing her in for the upcoming Turandot would be a mistake.)

Moderator's comment: Comments are starting to drift to the political. How current events may affect the role of Russian performers is no doubt of interest to those who follow events at the Met, but there are several threads in the Political Issues forum where we can continue to canvass such issues. The national anthem performed at the opening of one performance had already been mentioned there.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:37 PM, Charlie said:

My favorite Verdi opera. I would definitely attend both versions if I still lived in NYC.

Thanks, my favorite Verdi Opera as well.  I shall see the Opera at the Met, if I could also fit in a revival of "Take Me Out" about gay baseball players. Naked baseball players.

• 2 weeks later...

My opera fans in NYC report that the performance (other than that of Eric Owens who's one of my favorites) are spectacular. I attended many Don Carlos at the Met in my NYC years and it really does put the Grand in Grand opera. The production complete with the Borzois in the Fontainebleau scene was spectacular. But I've also very much enjoyed the French Don Carlos version in recordings.  My friends found the sets and costumes in this new production to be dark and dull.  I can't figure out why they didn't use the great old production of the original French version of Don Carlos.  Next year we get a dark and dull version of this great opera.  Alas , , ,

I'm going to the Live in HD broadcast on the 26th.  

There was a stunning production with Alagna, Mattilla,  Van Dam, Hampson, from Paris Chatelet, on video. My first time seeing this version. Great design. It’s a dark time in Euro history, Spanish court always dressed in black, so I think all of the productions look dark and dreary. Better acted than most.

Don Carlos - Verdi

5 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

There was a stunning production with Alagna, Mattilla,  Van Dam, Hampson, from Paris Chatelet, on video. My first time seeing this version. Great design. It’s a dark time in Euro history, Spanish court always dressed in black, so I think all of the productions look dark and dreary. Better acted than most.

Don Carlos - Verdi

I discovered this performance from Paris about 10 years ago or so on DVD and found it a nearly perfect production!!! The much more recent production (2017) from the Paris National Opera, set in a quasi-insane asylum, had an excellent and phenomenal cast, including Jonas Kaufmann, Sonya Yoncheva, Elina Garanča, Ludovic Tézier and Ildar Abdrazakov, but remains in my memory as a somewhat depressing and underwhelming physical production.

TruHart1 😎