Phighting back in Philly

samhexum
This topic is 854 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A pizza deliveryman shot a would-be carjacker six times in Philadelphia’s Kensington neighborhood on Thursday night, cops said.

The 39-year-old pizza guy was delivering food on H Street just before 7:40 p.m. when an armed man approached him and tried to steal his car, WPVI-TV reported.

The pizza man, who had a concealed carry permit, drew his gun and blasted the 23-year-old attacker, cops told the station. The failed thief returned fire but didn’t hit the victim, WPVI said.

The would-be carjacker was driven to Temple University Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition, according to the station.

There have already been 90 carjackings in Philadelphia this year as officials in the City of Brotherly Love ramp up patrols to fight a surge in vehicle crime, WPVI stated.

Last year, there were 757 carjackings — up from 404 in 2020, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Thursday’s shooting was the second time this month a potential carjacking victim flipped the script and opened fire on the person trying to steal their car.

On Jan. 14, a 60-year-old man shot a 16-year-old in both legs after the teenager tried to take his car in the West Mount Airy neighborhood, according to the Inquirer. More than a dozen shots were exchanged when the botched theft turned violent, but the victim wasn’t injured.

The man, who was licensed to carry the weapon, didn’t face any charges for shooting the teen, the newspaper reported.

I  guess Philadelphians are a pheisty bunch.  @WilliamM probably carries a howitzer when he goes out.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/28/philadelphia-delivery-man-shoots-would-be-carjacker-in-kensington/

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

A pizza deliveryman shot a would-be carjacker six times in Philadelphia’s Kensington neighborhood on Thursday night, cops said.

The 39-year-old pizza guy was delivering food on H Street just before 7:40 p.m. when an armed man approached him and tried to steal his car, WPVI-TV reported.

The pizza man, who had a concealed carry permit, drew his gun and blasted the 23-year-old attacker, cops told the station. The failed thief returned fire but didn’t hit the victim, WPVI said.

The would-be carjacker was driven to Temple University Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition, according to the station.

There have already been 90 carjackings in Philadelphia this year as officials in the City of Brotherly Love ramp up patrols to fight a surge in vehicle crime, WPVI stated.

Last year, there were 757 carjackings — up from 404 in 2020, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Thursday’s shooting was the second time this month a potential carjacking victim flipped the script and opened fire on the person trying to steal their car.

On Jan. 14, a 60-year-old man shot a 16-year-old in both legs after the teenager tried to take his car in the West Mount Airy neighborhood, according to the Inquirer. More than a dozen shots were exchanged when the botched theft turned violent, but the victim wasn’t injured.

The man, who was licensed to carry the weapon, didn’t face any charges for shooting the teen, the newspaper reported.

I  guess Philadelphians are a pheisty bunch.  @WilliamM probably carries a howitzer when he goes out.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/28/philadelphia-delivery-man-shoots-would-be-carjacker-in-kensington/

Philadelphia newspapers are far more responsible than the New York Post 

The Post went from liberal and relatively decent l in the 1960s to a freaking joke now

9 minutes ago, brettnyc said:

What exactly is the joke to you about sky rocketing violence  ?

The joke is the New York Post's need to sensational every story. I agree that the crime in Philadelphia seems to be out of control.

I read the New York Post on line occasionally. So I know the paper is a joke.

30 minutes ago, purplekow said:

Post is a Murdoch property as is Fox News.  The paper is most famous for it eye grabbing headlines and not for its accuracy nor its reporting exeelnce.  It does have a large circulation.  

Typical headline.    Headless Body Found in Topless Bar

But the NY Post was right about the Hunter Biden laptop story when the NY Times and other "respectable" news orgs were frantically trying to bury the story.

7 hours ago, BSR said:

But the NY Post was right about the Hunter Biden laptop story when the NY Times and other "respectable" news orgs were frantically trying to bury the story.

The New York Post  specializes in sensational articles, like the National Inquirer. The paper followed every detail concerning Brian Laundrie, the young man who murdered his girlfriend.  The laptop stories were accurate, but sensationalized.

Just now, WilliamM said:

The New York Post  specializes in sensational articles, like the National Inquirer. The paper followed every detail concerning Brian Laundrie, the young man who murdered his girlfriend.  The laptop stories were accurate, but sensationalized.

The NY Post has zero credibility here in NYC - the only place I have ever seen it referred to is.... well, on this site (no surprise....)

14 hours ago, purplekow said:

Pizza deliveryman must be some sort of Charles Bronson character shooting six would be carjackers

He fired six shots, not shot six car jackets.  From the description, it sounds like the car jacket was shooting as well.  In that case, some of the six shots were returned fire.  

12 minutes ago, TumYum said:

The NY Post has zero credibility here in NYC - the only place I have ever seen it referred to is.... well, on this site (no surprise....)

With a daily readership of about 260,000, it is the fourth largest circulation figure in the U.S.  That is hardly “zero” credibility.  They report accurate news the formerly great The New York Times does not seem to care about.

The formerly great The New York Times has had some credibility problems of its own😥.  At times, it now seems the house newspaper of the Democratic Party.

Best to be cynical of all news sources (including the NY Post) and realize their bias and read it accordingly.  Best to be informed from a variety of sources (I recommend The Economist) and especially foreign sources to get a broad picture.

3 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

With a daily readership of about 260,000, it is the fourth largest circulation figure in the U.S.  That is hardly “zero” credibility.  They report accurate news the formerly great The New York Times does not seem to care about.

The formerly great The New York Times has had some credibility problems of its own😥.  At times, it now seems the house newspaper of the Democratic Party.

Best to be cynical of all news sources (including the NY Post) and realize their bias and read it accordingly.  Best to be informed from a variety of sources (I recommend The Economist) and especially foreign sources to get a broad picture.

as i said, the New York Post has zero credibility here in NYC (it is called a "scandal sheet") and the only place/time I have ever seen it referred to is on this site, curiously enough.

2020 - Print circulation 162,478 vs. 2016 print circulation 230,634

not that it even really matters in this case!

9 minutes ago, TumYum said:

as i said, the New York Post has zero credibility here in NYC (it is called a "scandal sheet") and the only place/time I have ever seen it referred to is on this site, curiously enough.

2020 - Print circulation 162,478 vs. 2016 print circulation 230,634

not that it even really matters in this case!

Sadly, all newspapers seem to have a fraction of their former circulation including The NY Times.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273503/average-paid-weekday-circulation-of-the-new-york-times/#:~:text=In 2020%2C the average weekday,for the last few years.
Younger people do not seem to have the habit of reading newspapers and “long form” journalism.  Younger people apparently get most of their information online in shorter pieces.😥

3 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

I agreed that story was accurate. My point was some members use The New York k Post as an authority way too ofteen

I use its stories because they are not behind firewalls like The NY Times or The Wall Street Journal.

If the story is accurate, not sure why the complaint🤔

11 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

I use its stories because they are not behind firewalls like The NY Times or The Wall Street Journal.

If the story is accurate, not sure why the complaint🤔

Did you read the member's message.

Also, there are many other sources for news other than the Times and the Wall Street journal

26 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

I agreed that story was accurate. My point was some members use The New York k Post as an authority way too often

Even when the New York Post was quite liberal (circa 1968), I would be quite careful in quoting the paper.

I preferred James Reston.

50 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

Gee, thanks. Variety, LA Times, Boston Globe, the two Washington newspapers, The Advocate, The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The St. Louis Post Dispatch.

1 hour ago, bigjoey said:

Sadly, all newspapers seem to have a fraction of their former circulation including The NY Times.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273503/average-paid-weekday-circulation-of-the-new-york-times/#:~:text=In 2020%2C the average weekday,for the last few years.
Younger people do not seem to have the habit of reading newspapers and “long form” journalism.  Younger people apparently get most of their information online in shorter pieces.😥

If at all

1 hour ago, bigjoey said:

"they report accurate news". Sure five dozen articles about Brian Laundrie and now anti vax Sarah Palen.

Today's major stories in The "always accurate" New York Post:

Kansas man charged with threatening Biden blames God.

"No excuse" court throws out Pennsylvania voting law.

Senator Johnson says Dems willing to destroy Senate for voting change

Comment: of course, it isn't Former Senator Lyndon Johnson who supported voting rights and civil rights.

This topic is 854 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.