COVID Closures on Broadway

Lucky
This topic is 860 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Many theaters on Broadway- and Off- are canceling performances due to COVID infections among the staff and performers. The NY Times reports:

(in part)

The closings began almost as soon as Broadway reopened. On Sept. 28, the Disney musical “Aladdin” resumed performances at the New Amsterdam Theater; the very next day, the show closed for 12 days, citing breakthrough cases.

Since then, there have been a handful of closings at other shows — the lengthy shutdown at “Chicken & Biscuits,” and shorter Covid-related shutdowns at “Chicago,” which went dark for a five-day stretch last month, and “Wicked,” which lost a weekend early this month. And it’s not just theater: The acclaimed Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater canceled its performances Wednesday and Thursday, citing positive coronavirus tests.

Plus there have been additional cancellations of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” and “American Utopia” that the producers said were not Covid-related.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/15/theater/broadway-coronavirus-cancellations.html

merlin_199266984_8cf1ea17-333b-482a-bcf7

Some theaters were and are having to close because of covid19, but surely that was expected. And Little Shop of Horrors was soon  back again with the always sexy Jeremy Jordan.

Jordan is leaving on January 9, 2022. Nearly every performance till then is sold out.

So little room for for cancellation of performances due to covid19 and possibly rescheduling 

Edited by WilliamM

Bummer. It reminds me of the only time I ever had tickets for the Paris Opera at the Palais Garnier. We arrived to find the doors locked and patrons waiting outside murmuring in confusion. Then someone opened a door and announced in French that the performance would not take place because the stagehands were conducting a wildcat strike.

Many other Broadway shows were cancelled last night due to covid19.

I am afraid it will happen again this weekend.

Not sure how new musicals with mixed reviews like "Flying on Sunset" will survive

Radio City Music Hall has cancelled 😣 all performances today  (Friday).

Edited by WilliamM

A cabaret/restaurant in midtown I went to just notified their guests that a server tested positive and they were notifying us to self monitor for symptoms and test for covid 5 days after exposure. This is exactly what I don't need before my christmas trip to Toronto :( 

Plus, 2 of my acquaintances despite being boosted are already in quarantine for covid. So yeah, this is very prevalent.... 

Edited by cany10011

I saw the Radio City show December 3rd. I’ve gone every year (before the virus). So happy to have seen it. But they were not requiring the audience to wear masks if you were vaccinated. Of course I was surrounded by a million kids without masks. I kept mine on during the show and going through the jam packed lobby. I was surprised especially since the few Broadway shows I’ve seen this season required the audience to wear masks. Now more shows are closing down. So very sad for performers and audiences. Returning to live theater was going to be the one bright spot this winter. 

On 12/15/2021 at 4:41 PM, Lucky said:

Many theaters on Broadway- and Off- are canceling performances due to COVID infections among the staff and performers. The NY Times reports:

(in part)

The closings began almost as soon as Broadway reopened. On Sept. 28, the Disney musical “Aladdin” resumed performances at the New Amsterdam Theater; the very next day, the show closed for 12 days, citing breakthrough cases.

Since then, there have been a handful of closings at other shows — the lengthy shutdown at “Chicken & Biscuits,” and shorter Covid-related shutdowns at “Chicago,” which went dark for a five-day stretch last month, and “Wicked,” which lost a weekend early this month. And it’s not just theater: The acclaimed Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater canceled its performances Wednesday and Thursday, citing positive coronavirus tests.

Plus there have been additional cancellations of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” and “American Utopia” that the producers said were not Covid-related.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/15/theater/broadway-coronavirus-cancellations.html

merlin_199266984_8cf1ea17-333b-482a-bcf7

So annoying~ Mrs. doubtfire: “Help isn’t on it’s way~!”…

Company: “Miss Ottis regrets she’s unable to act today~”

Flying over sunset: “Cary Can’t”

All three of these effected by Delta/Omicron~ 

All the more extra snuggle time with my “Client and I”~ (we made our own Rogers and Hammerstein thing of it with delicious Chinese food~!) I played the part of Yule Brenner and we together had many children~