only murders in the building (hulu)

samhexum

This series has been a revelation!

It has now been revealed to me that I like the two Martins, but no longer as the main dish. Definitely a side…or garnish even. Short in The Morning Show, for example.

I do like OMitB choices to use a lot of stage actors.

I have set it aside for the time being. It’s not as funny as How to Get Away with Murder…

On 9/20/2021 at 10:24 PM, jeezifonly said:

This series has been a revelation!

It has now been revealed to me that I like the two Martins, but no longer as the main dish. Definitely a side…or garnish even. Short in The Morning Show, for example.

I do like OMitB choices to use a lot of stage actors.

I have set it aside for the time being. It’s not as funny as How to Get Away with Murder…

And I've had the opposite reaction.  I've honestly not seen much of Martin Short's work, and never found him enjoyable.  I like him in this.

I also haven't seen all that much of Steve Martin;  I loved him in All Of Me with Lily Tomlin, and liked him on talk shows, but didn't really watch much of his other stuff, either.  (I only watched the first couple of years of SNL, but found his 'wild & crazy guys' routine with Dan Ackroyd to be asinine.) I like him in this.

Random Steve Martin-related story:  He starred in the dud DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID.  At the time the movie was out, the Atlanta Braves had a relief pitcher named Jeff Dedmon.  One day he was out on the field before the game and suddenly manager Joe Torre barked at him--  DEDMON!  Thinking he'd done something wrong, he turned towards Torre, who said to him "Don't wear plaid!"

Edited by samhexum

16 minutes ago, samhexum said:

And I've had the opposite reaction.  I've honestly not seen much of Martin Short's work, and never found him enjoyable.  I like him in this.

I also haven't seen all that much of Steve Martin;  I loved him in All Of Me with Lily Tomlin, and liked him on talk shows, but didn't really watch much of his other stuff, either.  (I only watched the first couple of years of SNL, but found his 'wild & crazy guys' routine with Dan Ackroyd to be asinine.) I like him in this.

Unrelated Steve Martin-related story:  He starred in the dud DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID.  At the time the movie was out, the Atlanta Braves had a relief pitcher named Jeff Dedmon.  One day he was out on the field before the game and suddenly manager Joe Torre barked at him--  DEDMON!  Thinking he'd done something wrong, he turned towards Torre, who said to him "Don't wear plaid!"

I think my favorite Steve Martin leading role was in Roxanne (1987) where he was manic only in the context of a character in an uphill battle for the girl. 

On 9/22/2021 at 1:18 AM, jeezifonly said:

I think my favorite Steve Martin leading role was in Roxanne (1987) where he was manic only in the context of a character in an uphill battle for the girl. 

You see it all ties together...  Roxanne was the name of one of The Police's biggest hits, sung (of course) by Sting.  Who is in Only Murders.  (Far Out, man!)

Edited by samhexum

I've gotten caught up, it's definately one of the most entertaining series I've seen this year.  Martin and Short are a bit toned down playing showmen who've long passed their glory days.  And Selena Gomez plays an excellent foil as they stumble through their majestic pre-war apartment block.  The side-vignettes for each of the neighbors involved are just as engaging.

The series has been renewed for a second season and I'm all in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 4:36 PM, DynamicUno said:

it's definately one of the most entertaining series I've seen this year.  

I am looking forward to the season finale Tuesday, but am kind of bummed I have to wait until next season for more.  I've really enjoyed it.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:24 PM, jeezifonly said:

Did you continue watching?  If so, did your enjoyment level change as it went on?

Edited by samhexum

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've gotten caught up, it's definately one of the most entertaining series I've seen this year.  Martin and Short are a bit toned down playing showmen who've long passed their glory days.  And Selena Gomez plays an excellent foil as they stumble through their majestic pre-war apartment block.  The side-vignettes for each of the neighbors involved are just as engaging.

The series has been renewed for a second season and I'm all in.

Season 3 awaits!

On 2/3/2022 at 4:31 PM, samhexum said:

Warren Beatty's sister will be guest-starring in Season 2 and Senator Charles Schumer's cousin will be playing herself.

The former was delightful, and the latter was stupid and annoying... the worst part of season 2.  I binged it yesterday and enjoyed season 2 a tad more than season 1, which I loved.  I won't discuss the reasons why, so as not to give anything away.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:57 AM, samhexum said:

I've honestly not seen much of Martin Short's work, and never found him enjoyable.  I like him in this.

Loved them both this season.

On 9/2/2022 at 2:04 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

It's a brilliant show. 

Whip-smart, fast-paced and in some ways, a love-letter to New York City.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:31 PM, spidir said:

Steve Martin And Martin Short make me laugh. I am enjoying this series and it's on My Stuff to watch.

With his seventh nomination for guest actor in a comedy, Nathan Lane finally got his Emmy.

• 1 month later...

it's definately one of the most entertaining series I've seen this year.

On 9/2/2022 at 2:04 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

It's a brilliant show. Whip-smart, fast-paced and in some ways, a love-letter to New York City.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:31 PM, spidir said:

Steve Martin And Martin Short make me laugh. I am enjoying this series and it's on My Stuff to watch.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:59 PM, nycman said:

The building was home to the infamous Continual Baths….  Now you know.

One of GREY'S ANATOMY's most prominent members has a new gig:

Jesse Williams is making the transition from doctor to documentarian.

The Grey’s Anatomy grad has boarded Season 3 of Hulu’s Only Murders in the Building, where he’ll appear in the recurring role of a documentarian who takes an interest in Charles, Oliver and Mabel’s latest investigation, our sister site Deadline reports. Further details, such as a character name, have not yet been disclosed.

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

I don't know who Selena Gomez is, but if she's an actress, but she's a TERRIBLE actress.  Unfortunately, season 2 underused Shirley McClaine.  She must be expensive.  Still, Second season was better than the first. 

I used to see Steve Martin at il Picolino on Robertson.  He always sat alone, wore a hat and read the New Yorker.  

A few months ago, Il Pic, my favorite restaurant in America, closed.  I wonder where he'll go now.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:27 PM, Rod Hagen said:

I don't know who Selena Gomez is, but if she's an actress, but she's a TERRIBLE actress. 

She’s horrible…and I love her.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten more comfortable with such inherent contractions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...