Were you in a college fraternity?

Antonio1981

3 hours ago, E.T.Bass said:

I was recruited by many fraternities after committing to attend university.  I assumed I wouldn't work out as a member of a frat because I was gay so I didn't pursue it.  I was a wee frightened gay boy.  Ultimately I learned there were a lot of gays in the Greek system.

Our campus frat hazing sounded mild compared to horror stories in the news.  But yeah, the hazing culture was a huge turn off for me.  Zero interest in that.

Life in the dorms was fun.  We were 40 guys on our floor and were like brothers.  There were a few sparks here and there.  Guys get horny.  😉

Spill the tea, Judy Jetson   omg.  So there were 40 boys and a "few sparks"?  Does that mean what I think it means???  Like some serious heavy make out sessions at 2 in the morning after a few beers and a breakup with their girlfriend?  😈

3 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Again, My school, Boston College, did not allow fraternities. Always glad, I could pick my own friends

BC is very close to where I am right now.  BC boys are sexy, and I heard that hockey team??! whew.  It's a fantasy for many gay boys to hook up with the captain of the BC hockey team.  or the goalie.  or the Coach, if they're into older dudes.  hehe 😈

42 minutes ago, Merboy said:

BC is very close to where I am right now.  BC boys are sexy, and I heard that hockey team??! whew.  It's a fantasy for many gay boys to hook up with the captain of the BC hockey team.  or the goalie.  or the Coach, if they're into older dudes.  hehe 😈

Hockey is the most homophobic of sports in North America, if you are looking at the professional level. They have yet to do anything meaningful to address it.

The hazing was mostly of the “servitude” variety - polishing shoes, ironing shirts, carrying books. For some reason, I was targeted with frozen orange juice cans slipped into my bed in the middle of the night and using a salt shaker that really had sugar in it- silly stuff. But one time, I pissed off the wrong brother, and spent an hour on the lawn of the house, in full camouflage armed with an unloaded BB gun, on the ground, with my head under a folding chair, “shooting” at students as they passed by. And a yard sign encouraging the observers to toss coins in a bucket for charity. I still have photos. 

1 hour ago, Merboy said:

Spill the tea, Judy Jetson   omg.  So there were 40 boys and a "few sparks"?  Does that mean what I think it means???  Like some serious heavy make out sessions at 2 in the morning after a few beers and a breakup with their girlfriend?  😈

When it's dark, hands go places.  And it wasn't like I was being Harvey Weinstein or anything like that.  He wanted to repeat  Other times in the dark. 

Too bad we couldn't be more honest about what we wanted. 

Five years after college he was still ready for it.  And even a few years ago he asked if I was coming to our reunion.

Edited by E.T.Bass
fix

1 hour ago, Merboy said:

I did not have any hockey  in my courses at BC. But certainly football player. I was there when folk music was very popular/

I saw Judy Garland perform in Boston about six weeks into freshman year

That’s awesome! 45 pledges is a large class. I still get my fraternity’s quarterly magazine and I follow our national fraternity on Twitter. And I also get the “Alumni Dues” monthly email requests. Lol. It’s surprising how large some of the pledge classes are. Especially in the south,  Some of the class sizes are between 50-70 strong. 

in my school here in SCal, fraternity size averaged 60-80 actives, 10-20 pledges each semester. 

the Greek system has evolved so much. Being an alumni, it is clearly run as a business nationally. There are so many guidelines that the chapters need to follow to be compliant with both the university and national headquarters. My nephew is planning to rush at my alma mater and I’m super excited for him. 

3 hours ago, WilliamM said:

I did not have any hockey  in my courses at BC. But certainly football player. I was there when folk music was very popular/

I saw Judy Garland perform in Boston about six weeks into freshman year

Holy Toledo!  Was this before or after her legendary Carnegie Hall concert?  Love Judy.  She had a short-lived show on TV that Barbra Streisand, Ethel Merman,  guest starred on.... its on YouTube, what a gem!

4 hours ago, Luv2play said:

The fraternity I belonged to in undergraduate school was strictly het. But this was in the 1960s, way before gay liberation. There was a lot of testosterone at those parties but directed at the fairer sex.

I bet if that testosterone was living in 2021 instead of 1961, some of it could possibly get redirected .... to you.  🙂

2 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Interestingly, the first guy who fucked me was a fraternity brother but from another chapter. And he was a football player at his university. All I remember is that it hurt, a lot, but I persevered.😜

So you could say you took one for the team?! hehe ❤️  Did it hurt a lot less the 200 times after that he fucked the shit out of you?

1 minute ago, Merboy said:

Holy Toledo!  Was this before or after her legendary Carnegie Hall concert?  Love Judy.  She had a short-lived show on TV that Barbra Streisand, Ethel Merman,  guest starred on.... its on YouTube, what a gem!

a few months after Carnegie Hall - 1961. She mostly sang the same songs.  I believe one of the different songs was "What a little moonlight an do"

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

a few months after Carnegie Hall - 1961. She mostly sang the same songs.  I believe one of the different songs was "What a little moonlight an do"

That must have been Rapture... omg.  The one and only Miss Judy Garland live!!!  Where in Boston if you recall was she?

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

And what did you think btw of Renee Zellweger's performance?

15 minutes ago, Merboy said:

That must have been Rapture... omg.  The one and only Miss Judy Garland live!!!  Where in Boston if you recall was she?

And what did you think btw of Renee Zellweger's performance?

I was pleasantly surprised that Zellweger  was so good. The last time I saw Garland was 1967 Christmas concert in New York -  by then she was still quite good, but nothing like in 1961. Both Garland and Merman were tiny women

10 hours ago, Antonio1981 said:

It’s funny how I was 100% involved with my fraternity for 4 years and had the best experience. I thought I would be connected to my friends for a lifetime, but once I graduated, my social group changed and I haven’t been in contact with anyone. I had a desire to reconnect with a few, especially those from my pledge class so I did some searches on LinkedIn, social media and thru other search engines. I found quite a few, but haven’t pursued much since. Not sure why I haven’t followed thru. Seems kind of awkward to reappear after 30+ years? I wish I would have stayed connected to those I was close to 

mine has an annual summer gathering for guys who were in the house during the years I was there; I went a few years ago and it was great fun; we all interacted in the same manner as 50 years ago except the topics tended to be our own surgeries and deciding when to put our parents in assisted living!

55 minutes ago, Just Sayin said:

mine has an annual summer gathering for guys who were in the house during the years I was there; I went a few years ago and it was great fun; we all interacted in the same manner as 50 years ago except the topics tended to be our own surgeries and deciding when to put our parents in assisted living!

Oh gosh, those topics are the story of my current life! Just today, I was trying to map out when it will be time to move my parents into assisted living. 

1 hour ago, realeasymoney said:

Had friends in Phi Kappa Sigma and Tau Kappa Epsilon at Illinois, spent a lot of time there and went to many functions, but never pledged.   

That might have been better. My grades suffered in my first two years because I was so involved with the fraternity. I did better after going inactive in third year.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:36 AM, Pensant said:

I was a member of Kappa Sigma at a liberal arts college that had just recently gone coed after 181 years. Since the drinking age was 21 at the time, frats were the main outlets for drinking and partying in a competitive academic environment. I enjoyed it for a few years, but grew bored with it my junior year and went inactive. Unfortunately, the college’s census of hot boys was pretty limited, so my gay interactions were with the “townies” who found a preppy twink hot. We used to have bus loads of girls from private women’s colleges come up for parties. I was still into girls at the time and dated a few of them. I’d rate the whole experience as a “meh”. I can’t imagine any of the brothers were gay, but who knew at the time?

AEKDB