What is it Like to Have a Lesbian as a Teammate?

lonely_john
This topic is 997 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For some reason I have been hesitant to comment on this thread and I really don't know why.  As is well know around here I taught in in public high school for thirty-six years.  Schools love to operate with a multitude of committees. Personally I have always hated working on committees.  They spend endless hours discussing and very little time deciding.  My staff included gays, lesbians and straights.  Most of the people I was forced to work with were pleasant and enjoyable some, however, were absolute assholes.  Sexual orientation had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with who were the assholes and who where the pleasant and enjoyable.  The fact is my best buddy was an outspoken lesbian science teacher.  We used to sit together at the back of room cracking each other up with comments about what was going on.  She was the only thing that made the committee meeting bearable for me.  Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago -- I miss her dearly. 

Ultimately there are nice people and not so nice people and sexual orientation has nothing to do with which is which.  My suggestion is that you relax, kick back and give the woman a chance. 

Edited by Epigonos

1 hour ago, Epigonos said:

For some reason I have been hesitant to comment on this thread and I really don't know why.  As is well know around here I taught in in public high school for thirty-six years.  Schools love to operate with a multitude of committees. Personally I have always hated working on committees.  They spend endless hours discussing and very little time deciding.  My staff included gays, lesbians and straights.  Most of the people I was forced to work with were pleasant and enjoyable some, however, were absolute assholes.  Sexual orientation had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with who were the assholes and who where the pleasant and enjoyable.  The fact is my best buddy was an outspoken lesbian science teacher.  We used to sit together at the back of room cracking each other up with comments about what was going on.  She was the only thing that made the committee meeting bearable for me.  Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago -- I miss her dearly. 

Ultimately there are nice people and not so nice people and sexual orientation has nothing to do with which is which.  My suggestion is that you relax, kick back and give the woman a chance. 

"My staff".  Were you a high school principal?

I worked on many teams over the years with both lesbians and straight women. Some were great to work with, some weren't. I rarely saw any connection between their sexual orientation and their professional competence or their personalities. I have also played doubles tennis with a number of straight women and lesbians; the only difference I have noticed is that the lesbians tended to have a more seriously competitive attitude toward the game, though they are not necessarily any better athletes than the straight women.

Edited by Charlie

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

I worked on many teams over the years with both lesbians and straight women. Some were great to work with, some weren't. I rarely saw any connection between their sexual orientation and their professional competence or their personalities. I have also played doubles tennis with a number of straight women and lesbians; the only difference I have noticed is that the lesbians tended to have a more seriously competitive attitude toward the game, though they are not necessarily any better athletes than the straight women.

Sooooo...

Straight?

spacer.png

Lesbian?

spacer.png

I have had many bosses over the years. I had a nasty  Chinese straight  boss lady I mentioned before who tried to sleep with me. I had a gay boss who was impossible to deal with -so dramatic-talk about stereotypes. 

In general I preferred female bosses. But people run the gamut-I once had a black lesbian boss who filled in for someone on 6 months maternity leave. Cool, awesome-didn't know anything about area-she already had her own teams to manage and as long as she didn't hear any complaints from the clients/customers didn't bother us in the least. I had a black male boss who bought us to the verge of tears-he was a taskmaster-but taking the emotional side aside, he was a good boss, knew his stuff and protected his people.

Ultimately it is going to be the person and even people change over time. So you never know. I go with feel, if this does not feel right, move on.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:41 AM, lonely_john said:

We are 5 who must make a choice by next week, so I would like to have enough time to build a case for my favourite candidate.

Tomorrow is August 14, 2021, a week from the time that you posted here.  I do hope that a wise decision would have been made and that you'll report the outcome here.  Advance thanks....