Which male medical/cosmetic procedures are actually worth it?

EastCoastBtm

3 hours ago, AndreG said:

One of my colleagues is a plastic surgeon, and I've helped him out on some surgeries. I've seen it all, from ear pinning to nipple reduction. From an effectiveness standpoint, if you're not very overweight, liposuction of problem areas yield results that are perfectly realistic. Injecting the fat into areas (such as a butt lift) also yield great results. Recovery is not bad at all (except with butt-lifts you can't sit down for a few weeks). Lid lifts are surprisingly realistic-looking. Hair transplants are now done without a big scar (if you qualify). If you want a stronger chin, filler works well there.

Then you get into the "improved, but it's obvious work was done" category like rhinoplasties and tummy tucks.

Lastly, there's the "avoid because it usually looks worse" category like pec/calf/bicep implants. I would also put facelifts into this category. Seems like minor facelifts barely make any difference while aggressive ones always look bad.

I would avoid anything on the penis. Girth procedures can be very hit-or-miss with permanent deformity, and lengthening produces small changes and a very painful recovery.

I've gained 20 pounds during COVID by the scale and mostly entirely in my belly/stomach (by my assessment/looks in the mirror).  I'm meeting with a plastic surgeon next month.  May start with fat freezing.  I'll do some Botox again, dermabrasion... never tried fillers...

I'm never going to return to my muscle boy days; too many injuries.  My new plan is to try to get to lithe and lean - tons of cardio and low calorie diets.  I'm coming off a year of an ankle injury recently repaired via surgery.  Recovery is slow and frustrating.  I'm hoping a bit of 'light work' can jump start me in a better direction.  I hate what I see in the mirror after a shower.

Greatly appreciate this great advice.  Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer.

5 hours ago, jjkrkwood said:

Well, there goes my penile enhancement surgery..... Now what do i do with the little nest egg I saved for it, not to mention a collection of New banana hammocks for my new "junk" ?  🤔

Oh yes, I've seen a few cases here in Toronto, 2 of them with providers. Basically their dicks ended up looking bigger but totally deformed. And in one of them the injected material already caused some necrosis and the tissue was already rotting, and the smell was undescribable.

There are many charlatans and unscrupulous practitioners out there. I'd say if anyone wants to do it, better go to the best place you can find. From my research it's this place, arguably the best clinic specialized on this topic in the world: https://www.german-center-urology.com/en/treatments/penis-enlargement-surgery/costs/

20 minutes ago, lonely_john said:

Oh yes, I've seen a few cases here in Toronto, 2 of them with providers. Basically their dicks ended up looking bigger but totally deformed. And in one of them the injected material already caused some necrosis and the tissue was already rotting, and the smell was undescribable.

There are many charlatans and unscrupulous practitioners out there. I'd say if anyone wants to do it, better go to the best place you can find. From my research it's this place, arguably the best clinic specialized on this topic in the world: https://www.german-center-urology.com/en/treatments/penis-enlargement-surgery/costs/

I HAVE always enjoyed good GERMAN sausage.   Thank you.

This info is very helpful.  AndresG what has changed with hair transplants?  No more scar at the donation site?  I remember when President Biden had his done.  He has to wear his hair long in back to cover the scars as do several Hollywood actors.  Does one have to stay on Propecia for the rest of their life?

3 hours ago, EastCoastBtm said:

I've gained 20 pounds during COVID by the scale and mostly entirely in my belly/stomach (by my assessment/looks in the mirror).  I'm meeting with a plastic surgeon next month.  May start with fat freezing.  I'll do some Botox again, dermabrasion... never tried fillers...

I'm never going to return to my muscle boy days; too many injuries.  My new plan is to try to get to lithe and lean - tons of cardio and low calorie diets.  I'm coming off a year of an ankle injury recently repaired via surgery.  Recovery is slow and frustrating.  I'm hoping a bit of 'light work' can jump start me in a better direction.  I hate what I see in the mirror after a shower.

Greatly appreciate this great advice.  Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer.

I have been diligent about fitness for years. Still, I haven't been able to fully shed those love handle fat deposits and the same on my lower abs. I tried Cool Sculpting once and another fat freezing procedure a couple years later to try to battle back my lower stomach. They were a complete joke, and I saw no visual or measurable benefits. I don't suggest anyone waste their money on those treatments.  

I currently have a very low body fat percentage (less than 10%), and even so those areas still stubbornly remain less desirable than I would like for the amount if efforts I have made in diet and exercise. I am considering some sort of liposculpture in those areas, but need to do more research. The best results I have gotten for diminishing fat are diet, of course, and steady state, low intensity cardio - walking, for instance. 

Edited by HotWhiteThirties
Clarification

19 minutes ago, HotWhiteThirties said:

I have been diligent about fitness for years. Still, I haven't been able to fully shed those love handle fat deposits and the same on my lower abs. I tried Cool Sculpting once and another fat freezing procedure a couple years later to try to battle back my lower stomach. They were a complete joke, and I saw no visual or measurable benefits. I don't suggest anyone waste their money on those treatments.  

I currently have a very low body fat percentage (less than 10%), and even so those areas still stubbornly remain less desirable than I would like for the amount if efforts I have made in diet and exercise. I am considering some sort of liposculpture in those areas, but need to do more research. The best results I have gotten for diminishing fat are diet, of course, and steady state, low intensity cardio - walking, for instance. 

As people age, they see what they genetically battle and not what a young metabolism can easily overcome.

That said, look into SmartLipo.  It's less invasive than traditional cannula-based lipo and heal time is quick.  I've seen it work very well for men who have 10-15 lbs that won't work off.  

Coolsculpting is bullshit.  As is Emsculpt.  Don't waste the money.

Personally, I've found intermittent fasting works well to keep me at the lean level I want.  It's easy once you get used to the schedule.  You just have to buckle down and reevaluate your relationship with food.

Diminishing fat in hard to burn bodies is all about HIIT and circuit training, along with a caloric deficit.

All this said, I'd recommend hard work first and then if you've truly exhausted your physical options, then consult with a well-reviewed plastic surgeon.  I've seen several guys who go right under the knife, get the results they want, but then eat it back on in a year's time.  It's a slippery slope when it's just a little too easy.

2 hours ago, Deadlift1 said:

This info is very helpful.  AndresG what has changed with hair transplants?  No more scar at the donation site?  I remember when President Biden had his done.  He has to wear his hair long in back to cover the scars as do several Hollywood actors.  Does one have to stay on Propecia for the rest of their life?

FUE (random grafting follicle by follicle) doesn't leave visible scar lines as FUT but it's typically more expensive. And yes, Propecia for life but you can discuss with your practitioner some protocols (i.e.: taking breaks for a few weeks every few months) to lessen the side effects if you are within the 2% who experience them.

Edited by lonely_john

2 hours ago, HotWhiteThirties said:

I haven't been able to fully shed those love handle fat deposits and the same on my lower abs. I am considering some sort of liposculpture in those areas, but need to do more research.

Unfortunately, invasive methods like liposculpture are the only way to go. Stubborn fat deposits will NEVER EVER go away with exercise and diet but I think by now you're aware of that.

The advantage is that during your surgery they will be able to use the extracted fat to enhance other areas, being butt, calves, and sometimes penis shaft the most popular, with ZERO probability of rejection (as it happens sometimes with artificial fillers) since it's your own fat.

The only research you need to do is to find a board certified doctor, in 3 places (below) and pay close attention to the before/after galleries of their websites.

Google Reviews

ratemds.com

realself.com

2 hours ago, lonely_john said:

Unfortunately, invasive methods like liposculpture are the only way to go. Stubborn fat deposits will NEVER EVER go away with exercise and diet but I think by now you're aware of that.

The advantage is that during your surgery they will be able to use the extracted fat to enhance other areas, being butt, calves, and sometimes penis shaft the most popular, with ZERO probability of rejection (as it happens sometimes with artificial fillers) since it's your own fat.

The only research you need to do is to find a board certified doctor, in 3 places (below) and pay close attention to the before/after galleries of their websites.

Google Reviews

ratemds.com

realself.com

Right. I have been at this for almost 8 years. Combining every imaginable application and diet trend; focusing on calorie deficits....at the same time you can't build muscle without some calorie surpluses (of foods with nutritional value, or course). Have employed high intensity and low intensity cardio in addition to weight training. (I have found lower intensity to be far more sustainable and less apt to counter muscle gains, however.) Have lost as much as more than 25% of my total body weight at one time (several years back - which was a lesson in itself and ultimately I was too thin for my height).  I am currently in the 7% to 9% BF range at my highest weight and overall most muscle weight now...and I've made sure my hormones are in line for my age and lifestyle. Finally, I don't drink excessively or only on special occasions.  Those deposits are there to stay in spite of years of consistent effort and learning my body and applying what had been learned. I'm as close as ever, but they remain. So, if I do choose some procedure, I will research it before and I will keep working on it best I know how and using years of experience, but it will not be because I opted to do so without first throwing everything else I could at the problem the old fashioned way. 

Thanks for the insights. 

A few years ago, as I have spoken about before I went for a Gay makeover consultation for a complete face, neck and brow lift, and body lipo and sculpting....

I went to a major surgeon at NYU Langone who was the pioneer of the first ever "face transplant".....

I was told that due to my age, and lack of elasticity of skin at my age, the result would leave me with saggy skin, which was recommended to be removed via a tummy tuck....

I considered ALL the procedural pros and cons, and decided to just do the face, neck and brow lift because I didnt want a huge scar across the lower half of my body.  Not at age 70....   But then, I was diagnosed with facial cancer and had to address that FIRST, so put the cosmetic stuff aside....

And now, with most of my turmoil behind me, I am just reconciled to live out my life the way I am, and leave well enough alone.   I dont look like a tree-monster, and made it to "Golden Girl" status,  so i aint pressing my luck  (unless my next husband is a plastic surgeon ?)  😉

On 7/25/2021 at 6:44 PM, azdr0710 said:

eye jobs almost always look obvious to me....changes the appearance of the person to something they never looked like before......

Do the eyes look really small? If they do, it’s probably filler. If they look surprised, it’s probably a bad brow lift. 

On 7/31/2021 at 2:46 PM, lonely_john said:

FUE (random grafting follicle by follicle) doesn't leave visible scar lines as FUT but it's typically more expensive. And yes, Propecia for life but you can discuss with your practitioner some protocols (i.e.: taking breaks for a few weeks every few months) to lessen the side effects if you are within the 2% who experience them.

Yes exactly, FUE is what I was discussing. There isn't a strip of flesh removed, so there's no scar. There can be the tiniest of dot-sized marks from donor sites, but nothing to be concerned about. Also, stem cell therapy as an adjunct, where they inject your own stem cells into sites to stimulate growth has shown a lot of promise.

Edited by AndreG

On 7/31/2021 at 9:15 AM, EastCoastBtm said:

I'm not too familiar with Cryolipolysis, my colleague considered it b.s., so we mainly did lipos/tummy tucks. But what I've read from credible sources don't rule it out as a potential treatment option. I would just make sure the office is reputable. They may even give information on the device they use and it's efficacy can be looked up. Hope that helps.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:44 PM, HotWhiteThirties said:

You sound like the ideal candidate for a simple lipo. You're fit with a problem area. You don't need to lose weight, and simply have a genetic predisposition to pocket extra fat in a very specific area.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:47 AM, FreshFluff said:

Do the eyes look really small? If they do, it’s probably filler. If they look surprised, it’s probably a bad brow lift. 

Yeah when I was discussing eyelifts, I was mainly thinking of smaller procedures that get rid of that "sleepy eye" look (ptosis). The more excessive looking results where people look surprised all the time are usually brow/facelifts, fillers, botox etc.

Lid lifts are wonderful because they conceal the scar in a natural fold, and very little needs to be done to get excellent results. It's maybe ten minutes an eye and the healing is less than a month.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:54 PM, jjkrkwood said:

A few years ago, as I have spoken about before I went for a Gay makeover consultation for a complete face, neck and brow lift, and body lipo and sculpting....

I went to a major surgeon at NYU Langone who was the pioneer of the first ever "face transplant".....

I was told that due to my age, and lack of elasticity of skin at my age, the result would leave me with saggy skin, which was recommended to be removed via a tummy tuck....

I considered ALL the procedural pros and cons, and decided to just do the face, neck and brow lift because I didnt want a huge scar across the lower half of my body.  Not at age 70....   But then, I was diagnosed with facial cancer and had to address that FIRST, so put the cosmetic stuff aside....

And now, with most of my turmoil behind me, I am just reconciled to live out my life the way I am, and leave well enough alone.   I dont look like a tree-monster, and made it to "Golden Girl" status,  so i aint pressing my luck  (unless my next husband is a plastic surgeon ?)  😉

I didn't know this. You have all my sympathy. Glad to know that you are feeling better.

23 hours ago, AndreG said:

Stem cell therapy as an adjunct, where they inject your own stem cells into sites to stimulate growth has shown a lot of promise.

It's included by most surgeons as part of the packages they sell, and it provides some benefits but once or twice is more than enough. There are doctors who tell their patients to have them every 6 months or every year but just 1 or 2 is enough. Much more is achieved with Finasteride (Propecia) and Minoxidil (Rogaine).

On 7/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, coriolis888 said:

When deciding on a surgical cosmetic procedure, be sure to verify the credentials and reviews of the particular doctor who will do your surgery. 

One person I know got a face lift.

He had to have the surgery redone by a different surgeon. 

The first surgery healed fine but it left the man with a permanent grinning smile on his face that he could not change.  This caused him problems when talking with clients and friends about serious matters.  It always looked like he was about to laugh while in any discussion.  Even when he was at rest or reading or sitting or eating, the strong grim was on his face.  

Fortunately, the second surgeon was able to correct the bad work of the first surgeon.   

Quotes To Make People Wonder. QuotesGram

On 7/31/2021 at 9:19 AM, lonely_john said:

Vomiting Emoji - Emoji - Magnet | TeePublic

How 'fit' do you think I need to be before considering lipo or 'simple lipo'?  Is there a difference?   I'm totally depressed about my body; I was never 'ripped' but had my athletic phases through almost all of my 20s, most of my 30s, and a few good years in my 40s.  As I approach 50, I have ankle and shoulder injuries that won't make cardio easy as it once was.  I look at myself in the mirror with utter disgust and self-loathing.  I would love to 'jumpstart' my physical and mental issues with a quick fix.  I know, I know.... there aren't any real quick fixes that don't have consequences, but just looking for something to get me out of sadness.

1 hour ago, EastCoastBtm said:

How 'fit' do you think I need to be before considering lipo or 'simple lipo'?  Is there a difference?   I'm totally depressed about my body; I was never 'ripped' but had my athletic phases through almost all of my 20s, most of my 30s, and a few good years in my 40s.  As I approach 50, I have ankle and shoulder injuries that won't make cardio easy as it once was.  I look at myself in the mirror with utter disgust and self-loathing.  I would love to 'jumpstart' my physical and mental issues with a quick fix.  I know, I know.... there aren't any real quick fixes that don't have consequences, but just looking for something to get me out of sadness.

I've mentioned this previously, but are you physically able to go on long walks? I have found walking to be both a therapeutic and effective addition to my fitness journey. 

As for your other question, I am like you wondering now effective it would be for me. I think I could likely benefit if I pulled the trigger, but I keep trying the old fashioned way, which is slower, admittedly, but I don't regret it. 

Long walks aren't in the cards....yet.  Ankle surgery in early June...I can walk for 10 minutes before pain sets in and the swelling starts.  Peloton bike appears to be doable, but that is a few weeks until the movers are scheduled.  I get winded with light movement so I supposed I could start with some good ol' calisthenics and stretching.  I've made plans with some providers for September.  I think I need to get realisic..... Its not going to happen because I'm in horrible shape cardiowise.  I get light headed.  

I need to seriously re-evaluate. 

2 hours ago, EastCoastBtm said:

Long walks aren't in the cards....yet.  Ankle surgery in early June...I can walk for 10 minutes before pain sets in and the swelling starts.  Peloton bike appears to be doable, but that is a few weeks until the movers are scheduled.  I get winded with light movement so I supposed I could start with some good ol' calisthenics and stretching.  I've made plans with some providers for September.  I think I need to get realisic..... Its not going to happen because I'm in horrible shape cardiowise.  I get light headed.  

I need to seriously re-evaluate. 

Is there any way for you to access a swimming pool?

just keep working toward your goals thru healthy eating (keep yourself full with quality food, don't get hungry), regular cardio as able to, and weights.......ask your doctor what you can do to improve your cardio and endurance.....

don't rush off to these artificial quick-fix surgical procedures too fast......