Role of a Moderator?

Oscar Not Wilde
This topic is 1019 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I would think more proactive. When threads go off the rails or people start to attack other members you need to lock the thread. Moving threads that are in the wrong place, removing content that goes against the forum guidelines. Now we can help too because they can't be on here 24/7 so if you see something say something and hit report on the thread if something is up. 

12 minutes ago, Lucky said:

In this situation, using the phrase "If you see something, say something," seems to equate missteps here with terrorism.😬

We had a safety meeting not too long ago at work and our manager used it at the end about anything unsafe! If you see something say something! 😆

I think the new group of moderators have made great strides in managing the site in a MATURE and civil way...   Where in the past an infraction received an immediate BAN without warning, discussion or notice (at east in MY case) ,  now the moderation is more transparent and productive in reducing repeated mis-conduct ...   Treating adults as ADULTS is a much more respectful way to handle things...  Thank you to ALL the team.

38 minutes ago, jjkrkwood said:

I think the new group of moderators have made great strides in managing the site in a MATURE and civil way...   Where in the past an infraction received an immediate BAN without warning, discussion or notice (at east in MY case) ,  now the moderation is more transparent and productive in reducing repeated mis-conduct ...   Treating adults as ADULTS is a much more respectful way to handle things...  Thank you to ALL the team.

Your post doesn't answer either question posed. 

18 minutes ago, Oscar Not Wilde said:

Your post doesn't answer either question posed. 

Well, I am not equipped to answer those questions since I am not a moderator.  However, I am able to "participate" in a conversation and add my perspective,  although you think its a hi-jack.....   I feel my comment was relevant and well deserved, but apologies to you for disrupting a thread you believe is yours to control. 

Moreso, I was a bit confused by the original question.   Unless you are actively campaigning to be a moderator, I dont see what difference moderator roles should make to YOU ?   Furthermore, if you read the TOS rules, their role would be clear.

Edited by jjkrkwood

28 minutes ago, jjkrkwood said:

Well, I am not equipped to answer those questions since I am not a moderator.  However, I am able to "participate" in a conversation and add my perspective,  although you think its a hi-jack.....   I feel my comment was relevant and well deserved, but apologies to you for disrupting a thread you believe is yours to control. 

Moreso, I was a bit confused by the original question.   Unless you are actively campaigning to be a moderator, I dont see what difference moderator roles should make to YOU ?   Furthermore, if you read the TOS rules, their role would be clear.

No one else who has responded seemed to be confused.  And your answer to my question is that it is none of my business apparently.

I do accept your apology though.

7 minutes ago, Oscar Not Wilde said:

What is the role of a Moderator? Are they proactive or do they have wait for someone to question a post?

I'm not one, but my observation is that they are both. The new ones are long term contributors to the forum and they use their time reading and contributing here to enforce the rules and remind others about them.

11 minutes ago, Oscar Not Wilde said:

No one else who has responded seemed to be confused.  And your answer to my question is that it is none of my business apparently.

I do accept your apology though.

I should have said I was confused by the "reason" for the original question, other than it being "inquiring minds".      You have every right to question anything you are curious about, I was simply salty about your dismissal of my "add-on", while it didnt answer your question directly, it did speak to the role and success of this team of new moderators.   

Too many members here feel its THEIR role to "police" threads, especially ones they start if comments or replies dont stick strictly to their agendas.    Often threads will tend to swerve a bit this way or that, but as long as a comment retains the flavor and subject matter, I dont see why thats a problem ?   But obviously YOU do, so I will respect that.

Moderator Note: Questions of this nature should be addressed to the moderators using the "Contact Us" link below.

That being said, the moderators take proactive measures to the best of their abilities and respond to reports from Forum members. If you have any further questions, please submit them using the "Contact Us" link below.

I agree with everything said by @rvwnsd and I'm going to add a couple other thoughts as well.

• Everyone of the staff are volunteers.  We do this because we believe in the community and see it as a value to ourselves and to others.  It's not our day job and we don't make any sort of living from our efforts here.
  • This site averages over 600 posts per day.  None of us have time to read every single post and make a decision if it's within the community guidelines.  As we interact with the site, if we see something wrong...  we all follow the same process you do and report that post.  Now as a part of the staff, we then take the next step of dealing with the situation.  That could be giving a gentle nudge in the right direction or giving out a formal warning.  
  • If anyone on this site sees something out of place (be it a rule violation or something that needs updated or anything else that warrants calling specific attention to), we ask you simply report what you see.  "If you see something, say something" applies here.  That will ensure we actually catch it and can review it.  We can't guarantee that we'll agree with every report made, but EVERY single report is reviewed and actioned by a moderator.  
  • At the end of the day, we just want to be another member like everyone else.  We're each "just another person" with likes/dislikes.  We occasionally have disagreements or differences of opinion.  We just also happen to have a few extra responsibilities.  
  • Each of the actions the team takes are not done from spite or malice.  It's because we want to see this place be a fun, friendly, and safe place for us all to be.  

I'm going to close this topic for now, however if anyone has any questions please feel free to use the "Contact Us" button below.  It will create a ticket that can be seen by the entire team and allow any of us to respond.  

This topic is 1019 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.