Any post Pride musings?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1046 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Now that Pride month is coming to a close, I was curious if you had any thoughts or experiences to share.

I observed to a friend yesterday that my main observation from Pride in NYC is that facial hair is completely out of control. Most guys just can't pull off the look or don't take the time to properly care for, and groom, their facial hair.  It was a sad sight, really. 

(What?? You were expecting my comments to be deeply touching and profound in some way?? 😂😂)

5 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

Now that Pride month is coming to a close, I was curious if you had any thoughts or experiences to share.

I observed to a friend yesterday that my main observation from Pride in NYC is that facial hair is completely out of control. Most guys just can't pull off the look or don't take the time to properly care for, and groom, their facial hair.  It was a sad sight, really. 

(What?? You were expecting my comments to be deeply touching and profound in some way?? 😂😂)

I was surprised by the number of party cruises available in NYC - and the tickets sold out on almost every one of them!  

The focus was definitely more towards having a good time and less on advocacy/marching. 

Tie dyed type patterns in pastel colors were definitely fashionable this year. 

I used to enjoy Pride weekends that offered more than just parties, e.g. queer museum exhibits, panel discussions, book readings and author signings, etc. Once I grew tired of the party circuit, it was nice to have other ways to connect with people and honor our community’s struggles and triumphs. I wish those types of offerings were more plentiful and/or visible, especially now that I’ve aged-out of the club demographic and have also cut back significantly on alcohol.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:38 AM, KeepItReal said:

A lot of us took the year of staying home to try growing something we might not have the patience for in other. I still refer to mine as my fukkit beard. During Pride, shouldn’t disapproval of anything be shelved along with shame and fear…?

Perhaps because of current events, Pride this year reminded me that Stonewall began when a small number of marginalized outcasts fought back against their oppressors. Many of the heroes of those first nights were people of color, transgender, non-binary, and dispossessed street kids. Could they have had any idea that their actions would trigger the movement that brought us to where we are now? No matter how the haters try to turn back the tide, let’s remember the example of these brave fighters, carry on the struggle, and honor those of them who still remain with us. 

On 6/29/2021 at 9:38 AM, KeepItReal said:

My sideburns look like Ebenezer Scrooge.  

3 hours ago, EastCoastGuy said:

Perhaps because of current events, Pride this year reminded me that Stonewall began when a small number of marginalized outcasts fought back against their oppressors. Many of the heroes of those first nights were people of color, transgender, non-binary, and dispossessed street kids. Could they have had any idea that their actions would trigger the movement that brought us to where we are now? No matter how the haters try to turn back the tide, let’s remember the example of these brave fighters, carry on the struggle, and honor those of them who still remain with us. 

Yes to all of this. Every single word.