Mexico City

Colton

Does anyone have tips for a trip to Mexico City?  Not looking for tips re fun, but for neighborhoods to stay, how many days I should plan to be there, what to see and do.  Also, does anyone have a sense of the Covid situation there and whether people are being careful?

Mexico City - one of my favorite cities on the planet - is huge, complex, and has some extraordinary museums superb restaurants, and many unique neighborhoods. Zona Rosa is the traditional "gay" area; lots of bars and nightlife. La Condessa is more upscale urban residential; lovely streets, lots of excellent restaurants, nice AirBnB's. I have loved every minute of every one of my many visits there.

As far as covid goes, my Mexican friends tell me that the place is still a disaster. As much as I love it, I ain't going till I hear differently. Hell, some neighborhoods don't have running water on a good day, so something as simple as handwashing becomes an issue for residents.

On 6/20/2021 at 1:38 PM, shadowcatzxxx said:

Mexico City - one of my favorite cities on the planet - is huge, complex, and has some extraordinary museums superb restaurants, and many unique neighborhoods. Zona Rosa is the traditional "gay" area; lots of bars and nightlife. La Condessa is more upscale urban residential; lovely streets, lots of excellent restaurants, nice AirBnB's. I have loved every minute of every one of my many visits there.

La Condesa and Zona Rosa are good options, but Polanco is also good if you want to stay in a upscale, safe neighborhood with a bit of international crowd and good restaurant options. Polanco is pretty big, so you'll need to decide if you want to stay near Museo Soumaya that has more of a professional, corporate crowd, or closer to Chapultepec and the Anthropology museum (must see cultural gem when in CDMX) and opens up during weekends when they shut down part of the roads for cycling and pedestrians.

The Reforma/ Cuauhutemoc area near the Angel of Independence is more of a business district, but has street vendors, nice restaurants and is in walking distance from Zona Rosa.

The neighborhood you stay at should be in proximity to the things you want to do, and you can always stay in different ones to fit your itinerary. One of my favorite cities.

Have fun and stay safe if you go!

If you like history, on my trip I liked the following museums:

https://www.templomayor.inah.gob.mx

The Temple Mayor museum. The major temple of the Mexica people. The museum contains artifacts and gives glimpses of on going digs.

https://mnh.inah.gob.mx

The Museum of National History is in Chapultepec Castle which was the Emperor Maximillian's former residence. Maximillian was an Austrian that the French tried to impose on Mexico as ruler.

My trip was several years ago and I stayed in a Hilton Embassy Suites near Reforma, but that was obviously pre Covid. I have no info on current Covid situation.

I've been to CDMX nearly a dozen times over the last 6 months.  It's become my easy go-to getaway.

I stay in Polanco mostly.  Tons of beautiful airbnbs, as well as solid hotel choices.  Locals call it the 'Beverly Hills of Mexico City.'  It's walkable, very green and very safe.

Love walking Centro, as the design, flow and architecture of the city really pops.  

Reforma has good walking and some nice hotels.  While older, the Four Seasons is a beautifully polished gem.  Best bar in the city (Fifty Mils).  The new Sofitel is likely the nicest 'new' luxe hotel in the city (opened late 2019).  I stayed there when the city was on full lockdown.  They have a great indoor pool and a killer staff.

You'll quickly realize that one trip isn't enough.  

And, if you haven't been told already, eat on the street.  And then head to El Morro for the best churros in town (ask for a side of cajeta)

CDMX regulars:
I’m planning to go back to CDMX for a few days this month. Fully vaccinated healthy. I love, love, love Mexico City. Everything everyone else says but also, lots of very cute guys on Grindr that love hairy chests (I’m 50 and in good shape),  actually show up and don’t ask for a thousand pictures or money. Any ideas for either a nice Airbnb or hotel where I can bring guys back without a doorman or spying eyes? Before COVID I would stay at Sheraton Maria Isabel (huge place where no one seemed to notice anything) or Stanza (small but never an issue). Any ideas or COVID updates?

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, menaughty said:

So I am assuming that Condesa and Zona Rosa are most recommended areas? Any hotels in that area that y'all recommend please. 

if you need or want upscale shopping, restaurants, etc., the Polanco neighborhood is it....

the very convenient Zona Rosa was formerly the nice tourist area many years ago, but has now become a more nightlife-y area with a mix of gay- and straight-oriented bars and restaurants.....my only experience with Mexico City (CDMX) included a very satisfying stay at the smallish and very mid-level Roommate Valentina in the Zona Rosa....part of a gay-friendly Mexican chain.....a couple popular gay bars/strip clubs across the street.....tons of food options all over nearby....easy walk to subway stations.......

Edited by azdr0710

4 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

if you need or want upscale shopping, hotels, restaurants, the Polanco neighborhood is it....

the very convenient Zona Rosa was formerly the nice tourist area many years ago, but has now become a more nightlife-y area with a mix of gay- and straight-oriented bars and restaurants.....my only experience with Mexico City (CDMX) included a very satisfying stay at the smallish and very mid-level Roommate Valentina in the Zona Rosa....part of a gay-friendly Mexican chain.....a couple popular gay bars/strip clubs across the street.....tons of food options all over nearby....easy walk to subway stations.......

Thanks!

I would prefer a hotel that is closer to the tourist attractions ( Angel of Independence, Palacio de Bellas Artes, Metropolitan Cathedral etc.)

5 minutes ago, menaughty said:

Thanks!

I would prefer a hotel that is closer to the tourist attractions ( Angel of Independence, Palacio de Bellas Artes, Metropolitan Cathedral etc.)

the Angel of Independence is adjacent to the Zona Rosa, but only needs a few minutes.....the other places you mention are near the Historic Center and, I think, are not particularly near any decent hotels.....the main tourist attractions are spread out across the entire region in all directions, so a specific hotel location "near" them is not really possible....you'll either walk, taxi, bus, or metro it to them......don't forget the Chapultepec stuff, the Anthropology Museum, the Teotihuacan pyramids complex, and Xochimilco......and so much more!

Along with all of the previous posts, I'd suggest you go to www.gaycities.com.  Type in Mexico City; peruse and read and select what you think would meet your desired needs.

I've been to Mexico City once, a long, long time ago but cannot cite any particulars for your use.  I was a novice, had a wonderful cultural experience but failed to hookup with any of the men at the time.  ...was in a completely different space than I am in today (21st century).

Edited by Axiom2001

Does anyone know the logistics of entering mexico? 

I know as US Citizen, I do not need a visa. But do I fill out a form or something, is it something given at the airport? Is there like an immigration office check before you exit the airport? What else?

I am sorry I have only traveled once internationally way back.

US to MEX:  Just a valid passport.  You'll fill in a MX landing card when you go through immigration.  They'll give you a tear-off slip that you need to keep through the duration of your visit and turn in when you're leaving.  It's all easy and quick.

On the way back to the States, you'll need a negative COVID test (most major hotels can arrange this, in-room, for you) and will need to fill out a Mexican health declaration (all done on your mobile phone at the airport).  Once completed, you show them a QR code, which allows you through security to the gates.

12 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

US to MEX:  Just a valid passport.  You'll fill in a MX landing card when you go through immigration.  They'll give you a tear-off slip that you need to keep through the duration of your visit and turn in when you're leaving.  It's all easy and quick.

On the way back to the States, you'll need a negative COVID test (most major hotels can arrange this, in-room, for you) and will need to fill out a Mexican health declaration (all done on your mobile phone at the airport).  Once completed, you show them a QR code, which allows you through security to the gates.

Thank you so much!! 😊

• 2 weeks later...

I love Mexico, Central America, latin parts of the Caribbean, South America, well, I guess, I love Latin America. 

I've always wanted to visit Mexico City, but have not because whenever I check the Air Quality online, it's too low for me and my asthma, and this from someone who lives in LA!

I was fine in Chiang Rai, I was not fine in Bangkok.  I was fine in Hanoi, I definitely was not fine in Saigon.   (Sadly, this condition has kept me from China as much as I wanted to visit there).

How do you manage the AQ in CDMX?  Some people say, visit in Winter. Then I look online, and the AQ sucks in the winter.  But visiting places with bad AQ in the hot summer sucks too.  

What to do?

Edited by Rod Hagen

as with several places in the west US (LA, Phoenix), Mexico City was built in a basin (not a valley) that traps pollutants.....winter can be especially rough because of the "inversion layer" phenomenon.......stories are told of the first Europeans arriving in what is now LA and Mexico City and seeing heavy pollution (from the cook fires of the original locals)

On 8/2/2021 at 1:01 PM, Rod Hagen said:

I love Mexico, Central America, latin parts of the Caribbean, South America, well, I guess, I love Latin America. 

I've always wanted to visit Mexico City, but have not because whenever I check the Air Quality online, it's too low for me and my asthma, and this from someone who lives in LA!

I was fine in Chiang Rai, I was not fine in Bangkok.  I was fine in Hanoi, I definitely was not fine in Saigon.   (Sadly, this condition has kept me from China as much as I wanted to visit there).

How do you manage the AQ in CDMX?  Some people say, visit in Winter. Then I look online, and the AQ sucks in the winter.  But visiting places with bad AQ in the hot summer sucks too.  

What to do?

How about and oxygen tank on ur back and a mask 

Ok so I am finally planning to go to Mexico City end of this month. I have a question, how does the immigration office take at that airport? I do not plan to have checked bag, only hand carry. So how long will it take to go through Mexico City Airport immigration after landing for US Citizen?  

Thanks!

2 hours ago, menaughty said:

Ok so I am finally planning to go to Mexico City end of this month. I have a question, how does the immigration office take at that airport? I do not plan to have checked bag, only hand carry. So how long will it take to go through Mexico City Airport immigration after landing for US Citizen?  

Thanks!

It's quick.  

You're asked to fill in a landing form, they give you back a stamped return card to be kept for the duration of your stay.  Don't lose it.

CDMX is likely one of the easier spots in Mexico to transit into.  

• 1 month later...