I am devastated

Guest skrubber
This topic is 5459 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest skrubber

I am devastated. Tonight I took my best friend, my buddy, my avatar and my constant companion of sixteen years to the vet to be euthanized. It was a tough decision to make, but him not being able to navigate three steps – either way - without falling down and him urinating in the house made the decision to do it a bit easier. It’s going to be tough for a while not having him around and not walking him Though that has been an ordeal as of late picking his ninety pound ass up ever time he fell. No more kisses from Rocky.

I’ve had him ever since he was a little puppy and was warned of this moment when I got him. Now I really know what they meant.

I am devastated!

http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/500000020c1fd76/1/162/zMnDSoAR1j8mO7rj2Xar0ixsCl0sgvDc.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest josephga

Rocky was a very handsome fella. I'm not looking forward to that day at all. ive had my dog since he was 6 weeks old. My spencer just turned 9 years old back in june. He has been sick A few time this year I never take it well either. I'm the type that treats their pet as their child and feel as if thats all I have..

The inevitability of losing a loved one never makes the reality of it any easier. The intellectual mind knows it is coming and tries to prepare the heart and soul, but no amount of prep really preps you once the moment arrives to let go. I have lost a best friend twice. The first was of the two legged nature and the later of the four legged variety. They were both losses very different, but each took time to overcome and in different ways.

The first can never be replaced, nor the second for that matter, but after nearly a year, I was finally ready to give a home to another four legged friend in need of some love. I was ready to love again, even though he didn't replace my first girl, it was comforting to allow myself to give love and receive love again.

I came across this poem a couple of years ago and found great comfort in it. It's meant more for those of us who walk upon two legs, but I think it still applies to the four legged ones as well. I hope it can bring you some comfort also...

"When I come to the end of the road,

and the sun has set for me.

I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.

Why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me a little—but not too long,

and not with your head bowed low.

Remember the love that was once shared.

Miss me, but let me go.

For this is a journey we all must take,

and each must go alone.

It’s all a part of the master’s plan,

a step on the road to home.

When you are lonely and sick of heart,

go to the friends we know.

Bear your sorrow in good deeds. Miss me,

but let me go."

- unknown author

I am sorry to hear of your loss of your pet. I started a thread here some time ago when the decision time about my dear four legged friend Fred was approaching. Finally it came time to give Fred his final gift, relief from his suffering. I took him to the vet and after he was at rest, I sat with him in a room at the vet designred for those grieving their loss. On the wall, was a poem entitled the Rainbow Bridge, which was corny and juvenile and just plain sappy. It made me cry that big ugly heaving sloppy snotty gasping weeping, and it still does.

http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm

It takes a bit of time, but now when I am out with my new friend Boner at the dog park I can reminisce about Fred with a smile instead of a tear.

Skrub, my condolences. Dogs truly are mans best friend, why can't they have our same life span?

The below is from Pet's Ten Commandments...

Life would be much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters...

We do not have to wait for heaven to be surrounded by Hope, Love and harmony.

It is here on earth and has four legs.

So sorry to hear about Rocky. You have my deepest sympathy.

I had my Min Pin for over 17 years. A perfect companion. She loved to fly and loved to keep me company. 3 years later I still sometimes when half asleep feel her walking over my legs on the foot of the bed; something she always did when I turned over.

Best regards as well as condolences,

KMEM

Pets 10 Commandments

My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.

Give me time to understand what you want from me. Do not break my spirit with your temper, though I will always forgive you. Your patience and understanding will teach me more quickly those things you want me to learn.

Have me spayed or neutered.

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for your kindness than mine. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. After all, you have your job, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you.

Speak to me often. Even if I don't understand all your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me. Your voice is the sweetest sound I ever hear, as you must know by my enthusiastic excitement when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it's cold and wet. I'm a domestic animal and am no longer accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask for little more than your gentle hands petting me. Keep my bowl filled with clean water; I cannot tell you when I'm thirsty. Feed me good food so that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to be by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to share with you my life, for that is what I live for. However you treat me, I'll never forget it.

Don't hit me. Remember, I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in you hand, but I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You will grow old too.

10. When I am very old, when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult journey when it is time to say goodbye. Never say, "I can't bear to watch". Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands. I love you.

Guest pussyfoot

I am very sorry for the passing of your beloved dog. I have been there a few times as well. The pain never goes away but it is softened by the fond memories we have of "man's best friends."

Skrubber:

One of the hardest things when you lose a beloved pet is the very real grief that you feel. That greif is often discounted by people (family, friends, co-workers) who aren't "pet people" and don't understand that the grief and loss can be truly devasting and as powerful as when a person dies.

Find some support if you don't have it. Try meetup.com in your area as a start - I'm quite sure there will be a group of other folks in your area (depending where you live) that have lost their best friend.

You might also ask your Vet's office if they have information on support groups, etc., etc.

Finally, keep posting here or email some of us who have posted - know that some of us have been through this and would most likely be glad to share or just listen.

Skrubber:

Sorry to hear about your loss. I have only had my dog for a year (I found her starving under a car in South Philly) and would not know what to do without her.

Tonite she was particularly bad, and she knew it! She still is my buddy no matter what she does.

Best of luck to you as you mourn your loss.

RE: Pets 10 Commandments

I have never read anything more on the money. I made the mistake of reading it at work and cried like a baby in my office. Twice. Dammit.

In the last five years, I have buried both my parents and discovered that a sibling was gone as well. And had a little cancer thrown in, just for fun.

And I had to say goodbye to my two girls as well. Both of whom I had raised from pups. Tiny. Sweet. Irreplaceable and unforgettable. Bailey, my black poodle and Lily, my white maltese. Nellie I know, but shut up. Huge part of my family. Only grandchildren from me for my parents. My Mom kept them for me when I would make my trips to OKC to pursue my hobby with all the boys. My Dad called them, Bingo and the white one, but he was failing, too, by that time.

I had to put Bailey down. This girl was ALL about her food and the day that she stopped eating, I knew that we were all in deep, deep trouble. Kidney failure. Had to have two Vets convince me that there was no hope and it was still the hardest decision of my life. She was my baby. Followed me from room to room, totally daddy's girl. My old bf who raised her with me came back home and we had a great moment on Sunday morning. All in the bed, real quiet, her between us, like it always was when we were together, that little puppy nestled between us... Now, we are just telling her how special she is, how perfect, how much we loved her and both of us wishing so hard that she would just go right then, just go to sleep..... But that didn't happen, probably because she didn't think we could survive without her..... so, I had to call the Vet yet again and she came to my house. We all got back in the bed and held her and said the same things as before, and then, mercifully, scarily, sadly, she was gone. The most humane thing I have ever seen in my life. Heartbreaking, but so much better than either of my parents got.

We lost Lily in 2006 during that group onslaught of cancer. She died during the night in bed with my Mother. I remember walking in there and Mom saying, "Honey, I don't think she is with us anymore," and she wasn't. I carried her out to my car, drove her home and buried her beside Bailey. I think that she suffered more than I care to actually know, but that little girl got out when the getting was good. Her passing was a blessing. To her and to those who had other obstacles to face.

Told myself, no more dogs. EVER. Hurts too bad to lose them and it does. It does, still does. But then in April 2007, God sends me Chloe (shut up, I didn't name her. She was 4 already).. My old bf's cousin had her and she was a little snippy with her kids. She's half maltese and half Shitz su... looks exactly like an all black maltese. Like I got both my girls back in one. How freaky is that???

Light of my life. Heart of my house. Better than sex. Really? Yeah. Better than David's hot little bike riding butt squirming (because that's what he does) all over my face? Well, yeah.

My angel.

Okie

RE: Pets 10 Commandments

>I have never read anything more on the money. I made the

>mistake of reading it at work and cried like a baby in my

>office. Twice. Dammit.

Finally, something I contributed impacted someone!

Okie, as I wrote in my first post re. Skrubbers loss, I wish dogs had the same life expectancy as we. It would make life a whole lot easier.

Enjoy your new child Chloe.

I found my dog just over a year ago tied up in a park and abandoned and I wouldn't give him up for the world. He is my constant buddy and I know how you feel losing your friend of sixteen years. I have lost two previous pets who shared 25 years of my life and the pain was awful. But it passed and the memories of the good times are what endure. Take heart. Let time heal and keep an eye out for another buddy who needs you too!

Guest skrubber

I would like to thank you all for your kind comments and condolences. It helps knowing all your stories and realizing I'm not the only one - of course. Rocky was a true champion and a nicer and more even tempered dog could not be found. i will sorely miss him . The house seems so empty now. Here is a picture I snapped at just the right moment. The mess is because I had just got done reading the Sunday paper. There was no retribution as Rocky just turned away.

http://widget.slide.com/rdr/0/1/1/W/500000009411f00/0/0/9pGIV3IbfsY_YR16bGJB4_kKnoX6YuXmftae0pa3P6xPrQZwy2vIPOfi-mnOXz6_hf_1BE8NCz0wXq7VJ5sk2ydD6Ny9H2Phs3SB/8I2xickgkK5e8DFylpKD0N0Uma_pSBShDL4gMH8.jpg

Sorry to hear about this, Scrubber.

I love dogs, however I never had the luxury of having one (or any pet for that matter) because I'm often on the move. A close friend of mine lost his dog after 13 years of loyal service and he was comparing his loss to a family member's passing. I bet it's not an easy one ...

My best to you, Steven ~

[a href=http://www.hotsexystud.com/uk]website[/a] [a href=http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=steven_draker_brussels]reviews[/a]

[a href=http://www.aidslifecycle.org/1554]Aids Life Cycle 2009[/a] (soon)

Guest josephga

I took my dog spencer too the vet this morning he had another bad night. they ran all kinds of test he has disc disease of the back with disc calcification. the padding is gone in 5 disk rubbing against the nerves of the spine. It cost me 432.50 that i dont have and had too put on a credit card. and will cost 100.00 every 60 days that I keep him alive in pain meds. I dont know what too do. i told the vet if the meds didnt work id have too put him to sleep I won't let him lay here and suffer..

Archived