Search Function Question

MiamiLooker
This topic is 1066 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has the Search function changed? There used to be the capability of searching on the member's name (a current member or a previous member) in all forums, within a specific forum or within a specific thread without entering a Search Term. It was similar to selecting Find Content from a current user's profile, but much more customizable.

You have two options for searching member's names (without doing it from their profile page).  

Option 1

• Go to the Search page.  
  • Type in the Member's name.
  • Click on Member Search (found just below the search box)
  • Submit the search.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 4.00.43 PM.png

Option 2 (if you're looking for something a specific person said)

• Go to the Search page.  
  • Type what you want to find that the member said in the search box.
  • Click on "Search by Author".  Type in the name of the member that said what you're looking for.
  • Submit the search.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 4.07.53 PM.png

2 minutes ago, poolboy48220 said:

looks to me like it's different now - you can search for a member's posts but that cant' be the ONLY search criteria, you have to search for some string too.  

Do you mean like:

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 4.10.58 PM.png

You can add other search conditions such as posts within XX days...  if you want to require ALL keywords be present or if ANY can be present, etc.  

13 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

You have two options for searching member's names (without doing it from their profile page).  

Option 1

• Go to the Search page.  
  • Type in the Member's name.
  • Click on Member Search (found just below the search box)
  • Submit the search.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 4.00.43 PM.png

Option 2 (if you're looking for something a specific person said)

• Go to the Search page.  
  • Type what you want to find that the member said in the search box.
  • Click on "Search by Author".  Type in the name of the member that said what you're looking for.
  • Submit the search.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 4.07.53 PM.png

Before, it wasn't necessary to enter anything in the search field. Leaving it blank and entering the member's name produced a list of all that member's posts in date order, starting with most recent. Searches could be made on current members' as well as expired members' posts.

7 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

You can also search your private messages.

That's new!  That's a good feature.  I've got a long private message going and would like to be able to tell if I've already told this story 🙂

Edited by poolboy48220

16 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Do you mean like:

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 4.10.58 PM.png

You can add other search conditions such as posts within XX days...  if you want to require ALL keywords be present or if ANY can be present, etc.  

That's what I tried, but when I clicked "search", it said "Please enter a term to search for, or at least one tag" - so I can't see ALL the content a particular member posted, no matter what they said or when they said it. 

AH!  Got it, do "member search", find the member, and under the member's name there's a "find content" link.  

Edited by poolboy48220

On 5/26/2021 at 4:28 PM, MiamiLooker said:

Before, it wasn't necessary to enter anything in the search field. Leaving it blank and entering the member's name produced a list of all that member's posts in date order, starting with most recent. Searches could be made on current members' as well as expired members' posts.

I have always entered a word and searched the name of the forum member. 

I have a great memory. Unfortunately some dislike being reminded of their own words and yell "stalker"...