Plantar Fascitis

Rod Hagen

I think the responses above cover a lot of what I experienced. I suffered from PF because I wore converse sneakers with no support. I did cortisone shots and also wore orthotics and slept with a splint on my feet. Stretching helped. In the end I bought a good pair of brooks shoes with spenco inserts and switched to Birkenstock’s in the summer instead of flip flops and after several months it went away. Not sure if that will help but I was glad to be pain free…

I assume you are having the typical, intense pain when you first stand after resting and then as you walk, you note less pain. If this is the case, the pain is coming from the initial stretch of the planter fascia to stablize the arch and each step stretches it less and less as the arch is more and more stable,

Thank you PC. Yes it is worse in the morning when I get out of bed or anytime if I get up from sitting, so I stretch it and massage it beforehand in those cases. It also does hurt when I stand for a long time (I have a standing desk) and when I go for my daily long walks in the hills, other than that the pain is low grade and is becoming lower so I think it's going to go away eventually. I did order those cool socks TassoJunior recommended.

A friend, a long distance runner almost crippled by PF, swears that acupuncture helped him get back on his feet (literally).

Ta-dum-tum

1*0-8FOXGRvNwvlSzmTEnXHQ.jpeg

A friend, a long distance runner almost crippled by PF, swears that acupuncture helped him get back on his feet (literally).

I do it regularly. But it always leaves me on pins and needles!

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2021 at 4:17 PM, purplekow said:

Most of the usual treatments have been suggested here. In my patient's I have given the steroid injection with a local anesthetic. If that fails, a second try is worthwhile. At that point, you want to make sure you do not have a torn plantar fascia or occasionally Achilles tendinitis may be mistaken for Plantar Fasciitis and treatment of that will relieve the pain you are having. I assume you are having the typical, intense pain when you first stand after resting and then as you walk, you note less pain. If this is the case, the pain is coming from the initial stretch of the planter fascia to stablize the arch and each step stretches it less and less as the arch is more and more stable, If this is what you are experiencing, try the stretching first thing in the morning and before each time you stand. You can get a band or use a belt to wrap around the foot and then pull up the foot by using the belt or band as you would us reins to stop a runaway horse. 30 to 60 seconds of this will make the acute pain more bearable.

If your foot hurts all the time, you may have a torn plantar fascia and that may require surgery. A CT or MRI of the foot will help make that diagnosis and a podiastrist or orthopedist can do the surgery. There are a variety of surgical options, the easiest is shock wave therapy, there is also a more complex surgery which removes the plantar fascia from the calcaneus (heel Bone, which we all know is connected to the leg bone.).

Unrelated, but I couldn't find the original post:  are you still walking?  how is it going?  

On 5/10/2021 at 9:58 PM, Rod Hagen said:

OUCH. Besides Stretching and Massaging the foot every morning, wearing a night splint nightly, using new very good orthotic inserts in my new very supportive shoes and not going barefoot around the apartment anymore, does anyone have any suggestions of how to get rid of it? Fucking driving me nuts. OUCH.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I realize this post was from a year ago, but Isuffered from Plantar fasciitis years ago. I tried everything and the relief was minimal. What ended up working for me was going to an old school acupuncturist in Chinatown /DTLA and had him perform acupuncture on my feet, calves and Achilles’ tendon. It was a painful 30 minute session, not going to lie. Then he massaged (squeezed, gripped and twisted) my feet, calves and Achilles’ tendon so hard i had tears in my eyes.  Within a couple of days, it was gone. I don’t know how, but that’s the only thing different that I did in the year I was suffering and it vanished.  Eastern medical treatment did the trick. 

I went to the podiatrist with pain in my feet.  I thought I had plantar fasciitis.  X-rays said flat feet, and arch falling, (had orthotics made) and after a MRI, a torn tendon in my left ankle. 

PT didn't do much in beginning as I was hurting after a day or so later, so before having surgery, trying shockwave therapy and PT once a week.  Had the 3rd session today (a total of six, done once a week). 

Don't know if wishful thinking/placebo effect, but seems to be improving a little.  Medicare doesn't pay for it (total $600 for the 6 sessions), and doubtful any insurance will pay.

We'll see how I feel at the end.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:36 AM, Pensant said:

I also endorse ON and Hoka shoes, which I’ve been wearing for the past few years. I see a great chiropractor who specializes in Active Release Therapy, which keeps me pretty pain free for all of my fitness routines.

Great Shoes.  I love how the ON shoes allow my toes to spread out, and my HOKA hiking boots are fantastic. 

I've never been formally diagnosed, but what I experience are the classic symptoms - searing pain in the middle of my heel, very difficult to walk. What has worked for me is:

as often as you can, with legs straight point your toes toward your nose and pull until it begins to hurt, repeat several times.

change up your shoes, I haven't found it especially matters how, but grab a different pair out of the closet. Switch them out frequently.

I do this when I begin to think "I feel at attack coming on" and I can usually stave it off this way.