Does anyone watch soccer?

This topic is 926 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Haha I agree! I was born and raised in Brazil and that's how we call it. But here in the US... :) Do you have a favorite team/club?

Ah well then if you’re from Brazil then you know. My club is QPR...who are not in the Champions League!!!

I would watch it more often if they would cut away and go to commercials. When there is a stop in the action due to an injury, seeing lots of nothing is such an irritation. I enjoy watching the U.S. teams play, and find it bizarre how bad the men do, considering the women are so excellent.

haha I know what you mean, but most of the time, a soccer match is about action. American football has way more reasons to stop and go to commercials.

I can't disagree with you there. Way too much start and stop in the sports U.S. Americans like the most, which is why they will never catch on in other places.

Fair enough! I just love the dynamics of soccer. Also, I am suspicious to say since I grew playing it.

Got into Uefa football (soccer) a few years ago. Favorite team was Liverpool, because Fernando Torres was so cute. Still cheer for Liverpool and Bayern Munich (cause I get to stare at Manuel Neuer the whole game.) Looking forward to the European Championships next month. First couple weeks are great, with three games a day. They start at 1 or 2PM in Europe so it's 8AM my time. Coffee and a bagel in bed and binge out on the games.

I watch some soccer but more as an 'event' than for love of the game. I will watch world cup games on TV even at odd hours of the morning, something that's inevitable in this time zone most times, but I don't watch the A League games on free to air TV here (it's the national competition in Australia). I have been to an Australia game against France here one year, and in what is probably one of my most memorable sporting experiences I was at the final qualifying game Australia played in 2005 for the 2006 world cup. It was in the days when Australia was in the Oceania confederation and had to play the fifth placed team in South America for a place. We had lost 1-0 to Uruguay in Montevideo and after extra time in Sydney we were ahead 1-0 so the for and against had us level, and it went to penalties. I have never seen an explosion of joy, both on and off the field such as there was when John Aloiso kicked the decisive penalty that saw us qualify for 2006.

I don't understand it or most other sports. But all of them seem to have lovely legs and are very athletic and the rugby folks seem to show their butts quite often.

I think I only know one soccer player by name-Maradonna -not Madonna!

I watch some soccer but more as an 'event' than for love of the game. I will watch world cup games on TV even at odd hours of the morning, something that's inevitable in this time zone most times, but I don't watch the A League games on free to air TV here (it's the national competition in Australia). I have been to an Australia game against France here one year, and in what is probably one of my most memorable sporting experiences I was at the final qualifying game Australia played in 2005 for the 2006 world cup. It was in the days when Australia was in the Oceania confederation and had to play the fifth placed team in South America for a place. We had lost 1-0 to Uruguay in Montevideo and after extra time in Sydney we were ahead 1-0 so the for and against had us level, and it went to penalties. I have never seen an explosion of joy, both on and off the field such as there was when John Aloiso kicked the decisive penalty that saw us qualify for 2006.

Oh nice! I do remember that game actually! I do watch it because I like the match event but also because I love soccer, especially when are good teams and players on the field.

I don't understand it or most other sports. But all of them seem to have lovely legs and are very athletic and the rugby folks seem to show their butts quite often.

I think I only know one soccer player by name-Maradonna -not Madonna!

Haha Maradonna was a great Argentinian player. Probably top 5 of all time. Pele, the Brazilian one, is considered the king!

I watch football some and it's nice to see some US teams getting air time. UK Premier League football is entertaining, but I prefer more the national league or even the county leagues when I can watch a game. The football is not as flashy or entertaining, but it is more "real."

My preference is rugby, which is even harder to access on from the US.

• 2 weeks later...

European Championships only a few days away.  Can't wait.  Cheering for Germany and England from the favorites, Wales from the dark horses, and Denmark from the "shock the world" category.  Belgium is a strong team, Spain always interesting.  Sorry to see Norway and Erling Braut Haaland not participating.