Understanding their Scams

tenderloin
This topic is 1082 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I participate in a few M4M social media platforms, and it never fails that these amazingly beautiful younger guys reach out and, without wanting to see my pics, announce that I am hot and ask to communicate on WhatsApp or via email/text. I know it is a scam - these guys are bad imposters ("I am in service of US army forces at present"), but I can't help but wonder what they are up to. Trying to implant malware via my WhatsApp or email? Laying the groundwork to "borrow" money? What's the deal, do you think?

I never thought of the malware angle, I just assume it’s a scam with the end game being money. I’m on a few gay male social media sites/groups as well, and it is astonishing how many men do fall for them, and do send money. These scammers do seem to target older, single men. I feel bad for the ones being scammed, but at the same time this is not something new either. I suppose there are just a lot of lonely fellows out there who are just happy with the attention, not thinking where this can/will lead.

BBD

I never thought of the malware angle, I just assume it’s a scam with the end game being money. I’m on a few gay male social media sites/groups as well, and it is astonishing how many men do fall for them, and do send money. These scammers do seem to target older, single men. I feel bad for the ones being scammed, but at the same time this is not something new either. I suppose there are just a lot of lonely fellows out there who are just happy with the attention, not thinking where this can/will lead.

BBD

Yes, they open their pitches by announcing their desire for life-long love, and specify their interest in men over the age of 40. I feel for the guys who get taken in by these creeps.

Yes, they open their pitches by announcing their desire for life-long love, and specify their interest in men over the age of 40. I feel for the guys who get taken in by these creeps.

Wait, what? They're not looking for their life-long love? Next you're going to tell me I'm really not getting $2 million from that Nigerian prince!!!! ?

Adam4Adam is the worst. Cat fishers everywhere and Grindr is quickly catching up. I get about 20 messages every day on A4A. 99% of them are from guys 5,280 miles away who say they're somewhere in the States (Oklahoma City seems to be a favorite location). I want to know where this mystical, magical place is that's 5,280 miles away with all of these guys looking for their life-long love.

I recall something by Guy where he complained about “bots” trying to access the system. Seems like there used to be a “statistics” box that showed the numbers.

Maybe you are interacting with AI (Artificial intelligence).

Yes - that AI comment might be interpreted in more than one way.

Wait, what? They're not looking for their life-long love? Next you're going to tell me I'm really not getting $2 million from that Nigerian prince!!!! ?

Adam4Adam is the worst. Cat fishers everywhere and Grindr is quickly catching up. I get about 20 messages every day on A4A. 99% of them are from guys 5,280 miles away who say they're somewhere in the States (Oklahoma City seems to be a favorite location). I want to know where this mystical, magical place is that's 5,280 miles away with all of these guys looking for their life-long love.

You are spot on with the miles/distance. And what I love about those guys is that they clearly are thrown by our old system of weights and measures - look at their stats and you will see people who say that they are 6'6", 130 lbs, with a 42-inch waist LOL

A4A does a decent job of shutting down their profiles. However, for every one that gets shut down there seems to be ten new ones.

...Maybe you are interacting with AI (Artificial intelligence)...

Artificial intelligence that doesn't know how to turn off its true location so we don't know that he's not really located in Helena, MT!

I offered to send one of these cuties a hefty sum last year, as he seemed sincere and was going through a really rough time.

Guess he recovered OK. I asked him for $500 in 'earnest money' and never heard from him again. ?

You are spot on with the miles/distance. And what I love about those guys is that they clearly are thrown by our old system of weights and measures - look at their stats and you will see people who say that they are 6'6", 130 lbs, with a 42-inch waist LOL

I was going to mention that in my original post. I think we got the same guy. The stats are hilarious. At that height and weight he’d be a toothpick.

I hate to blame victims of scams, but sometimes one does have to wonder how it is that anyone can fall for some of the more obvious ones:

1. Someone you've never met who needs money to come be with you? More than likely a scam, but even if it is some lonely gay man in the middle of nowhere who wants a sugar daddy to move him to a more gay friendly city there is a way for a man like that to look for what he wants that doesn't start with a lame, generic message about looking for love and that your profile reveals you to be a perfect match.

2. Someone alerted me to this scam recently: Someone will message you on Facebook (or maybe sent a text) saying that you might qualify for a government grant. After a couple of messages back and forth, they say you qualify for a grant but that you have to put up some money for "processing." If it were only true that I could get the government to give me $750,000 for a $10,400 processing fee.

99% of them are from guys 5,280 miles away who say they're somewhere in the States (Oklahoma City seems to be a favorite location).

The messages I get also often proclaim something to the effect that love can conquer distance, etc. But I've never been the type to get into long-distance relationships, so I never bought into that anyway.

A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from an old friend with whom I correspond regularly. She said she needed help with something immediately, but her phone wasn't working so she wrote to me. So I responded, and she replied that she needed to send a birthday gift to a niece who was ill, but the bank told her there was a problem with her account, so she asked me to buy $500 worth of Amazon gift cards and send her the numbers on them so she could send them to her niece that day. (OK, I'm sure you see the same red flags I saw.) She didn't seem to me to be the kind of person who sent $500 birthday gifts to a niece I had never heard about, and why was she asking me for help instead of her financially comfortable children? The coincidence of the non-working phone seemed intended solely to keep me from calling, so of course I called, and there was nothing wrong with the phone. My call was her first notice that her email account had been hacked for her contact list. She called me a couple of nights ago, and she is still struggling to regain control of her email account.