I'm thinking of sipping the apple juice...

MakeMeCowboy
This topic is 907 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm a pc/android guy, but I need to get a new phone and I'm considering switching to an iPhone. Has anyone made this transition recently and how did it go? I know nothing about iPhones... any practical advice?

I have both devices. An android phone for work and an apple iphone for personal use. I can use both fairly easily and don't consider myself a "power" user - I have a few apps and use both devices for Zoom calls, but by no means do I use them to their full capacity. I got both phones during the same month and so they are about equal in age. I would call myself a moderately sophisticated user.

What annoys me about the iphone is how frequent the apps and operating system requires updating. I swear I have had to update my iphone operating system 3 times already this year. And it takes so long - at least 45 minutes - to download, extract, install, restart using my wifi at home which is FAST. I don't know long it will take to do an update using cellular service. At the time of updating the software, my phone is "down" and cannot be used. Once it is up and running, it is fine. I do like the ability to backup my device using itunes on my PC so if something happens I can just restore. It also makes upgrading to a new iphone rather easy. They certainly are expensive.

As for the android - battery life on my android is much better. I like the camera better too - better quality photos. It works better on Zoom and its speakerphone is better than the iphone in my experience.

The only practical advice I would offer is that once you are onboard the Apple train (use the apple infrastructure), it is fine - easy to integrate different devices on the same platform so if you have an iphone, ipad and apple tv, they play well together. But getting off the Apple train once you are on it, seems like a daunting task to me.

I hope this helps! KiR

I have both devices. An android phone for work and an apple iphone for personal use. I can use both fairly easily and don't consider myself a "power" user - I have a few apps and use both devices for Zoom calls, but by no means do I use them to their full capacity. I got both phones during the same month and so they are about equal in age. I would call myself a moderately sophisticated user.

What annoys me about the iphone is how frequent the apps and operating system requires updating. I swear I have had to update my iphone operating system 3 times already this year. And it takes so long - at least 45 minutes - to download, extract, install, restart using my wifi at home which is FAST. I don't know long it will take to do an update using cellular service. At the time of updating the software, my phone is "down" and cannot be used. Once it is up and running, it is fine. I do like the ability to backup my device using itunes on my PC so if something happens I can just restore. It also makes upgrading to a new iphone rather easy. They certainly are expensive.

As for the android - battery life on my android is much better. I like the camera better too - better quality photos. It works better on Zoom and its speakerphone is better than the iphone in my experience.

The only practical advice I would offer is that once you are onboard the Apple train (use the apple infrastructure), it is fine - easy to integrate different devices on the same platform so if you have an iphone, ipad and apple tv, they play well together. But getting off the Apple train once you are on it, seems like a daunting task to me.

I hope this helps! KiR

Ugg... you've articulated all of the things that I've heard about both phones. If you could only keep one, I suspect it would be the iPhone due to interconnectivity. Right?

I was all-in Apple for almost ten years, switched back to Windows/Android a few years ago and am very glad I did. I was extremely unhappy with my MacBook Pro (should have stuck with the Air) and bought an HP laptop. Then, I couldn't access my iPhone from my PC. Shortly thereafter my iPhone started having issues and I decided to switch to a Galaxy Note 10+5G. LOVE the galaxy phone. The camera is outstanding, the note-taking feature is great, and I just like the UI better. They also seem to do a better job at avoiding security vulnerabilities than Apple.

If I was you, I'd stick to Android and get a higher-end Galaxy phone.

Unlike the myriad of Android phones, the reason iOS updates so frequently is that Apple is actually concerned about patching their bugs and keeping their software running smoothly. That's a huge plus.

I had Android phones for many years and while incredibly customizable, they never felt like an out-of-the-box cohesive experience.

iPhone just works. It's the brilliance of Apple in-general.

The recent spate of Apple updates is due to the security vulnerabilities that they did not identify before releasing the latest version of iOS. Apple tends to delegate testing to its users, rather than do testing internally.

I have mine set to auto-update overnight. I usually see the notification in my settings that an update is available and will be installed that night. I have the option of doing it immediately but I just wait and place my phone on the charger that night. When I wake up in the morning the update is installed and everything is ready.

Unlike the myriad of Android phones, the reason iOS updates so frequently is that Apple is actually concerned about patching their bugs and keeping their software running smoothly. That's a huge plus.

I had Android phones for many years and while incredibly customizable, they never felt like an out-of-the-box cohesive experience.

iPhone just works. It's the brilliance of Apple in-general.

I'm sure there are people eagerly anticipating pillow talk about the relative merits of Apple and Android phones.

• 6 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 9:17 PM, MakeMeCowboy said:

Ugg... you've articulated all of the things that I've heard about both phones. If you could only keep one, I suspect it would be the iPhone due to interconnectivity. Right?

On 4/8/2021 at 8:32 PM, RJD said:

I have mine set to auto-update overnight. I usually see the notification in my settings that an update is available and will be installed that night. I have the option of doing it immediately but I just wait and place my phone on the charger that night. When I wake up in the morning the update is installed and everything is ready.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:17 PM, MakeMeCowboy said:

The frequent updates to iOS provide the most current security software and protection for the data on your phone. I consider this to be a major advantage of the iPhone over the other phones that are currently available.