Great Gay Moments in Film

Lucky

I thoroughly enjoyed Lifetime's presentation of The Christmas Setup. It was a tonic for me to experience a gay-themed movie that is positive and uplifting from beginning to end (there is more than enough LGBTQ strife off-screen). The co-stars of the movie are real-time married couple Ben Lewis and Blake Lee (sigh):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp9KwXAUzi6TVO5wQi0olWQaZCGKDCBa0nNst65fwTWczlyjDDq0f7Vz26AzKgL2wiBs0&usqp=CAU

A sampling of the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS-R_ugKVNc:7

IMO, the tape recorder scene in Happy Together is a great scene period, not merely a great "gay" scene. It was all about Lai suddenly admitting his grief. Well done. Tony Leung was brilliant in that movie.

tumblr_oq3uvzjWxs1u5n9apo3_640.jpg Interestingly, Criterion just released a Wong Kar Wai collection of 7 movies, including Happy Together.

• 3 weeks later...

IMO, the tape recorder scene in Happy Together is a great scene period, not merely a great "gay" scene. It was all about Lai suddenly admitting his grief. Well done. Tony Leung was brilliant in that movie. Interestingly, Criterion just released a Wong Kar Wai collection of 7 movies, including Happy Together.

Great movie, excellent moment/scene.

• 1 year later...

Circling back to Happy Together.   

I watched it again last night and now I wonder if Chang was in love with Fai?   I have the Criterion disc, so maybe I'll find answers in the extras clips.

There seemed to be clues, how Chang chose to keep an eye on Fai and to be near him, even showing physical affection during their soccer games, grabbing Fai, arms around from behind.  I've read comments on the Internet whether the movie chose to keep the relationship ambiguous.    But certainly, the two were a symbol of how two people might be happy together.

spacer.png

That said, I'm glad I purchased the Wong Kar-Wai box set.    Such unique movies.