NYC Massage - walk up

Daniel84
This topic is 1181 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys,

I currently live in Hell’s Kitchen with a doorman and thinking of moving to Chelsea. I found a beautiful 750sq one bedroom on 19th and 9th. It’s about 5 mins from 14, 23rd and 18th subways. Would a 3 floor walk up be a issue for clients?

not for most New Yorkers but I'm sure for some Americans walking upstairs might be problematic

Yeah, I also prefer a walk-up to a doorman building. One time saw a masseur at a doorman building and felt kind of awkward about it not knowing if the masseur was using his real name. And also just thinking the doorman must see a lot of guys going to his apartment all the time. But maybe that’s just me being a little immature about it?

people walk in and out of buildings constantly... you were just one more. As long as the working guy doesn't make much noise nobody would even bother asking questions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I currently live in Hell’s Kitchen with a doorman and thinking of moving to Chelsea. I found a beautiful 750sq one bedroom on 19th and 9th. It’s about 5 mins from 14, 23rd and 18th subways. Would a 3 floor walk up be a issue for clients?

Not for myself

Now I know why the place I am looking at has been empty for 3 months. They want a CPA letter, my business plan ect. I have a massage studio and my portrait studio. It’s very easy to do my taxes with quickbooks self employment. Why would I hire a CPA when I am sole proprietor?

I was never asked to turnover a business plan for a apartment. I just rented a 900 sq portrait studio commercial space and they didmy even ask for my business plan.

Agreed. Walk-ups are part of nyc life. And no one may like walking up 6 flights but if you are going to avoid the masseur because of that you have other issues. I have a regular masseur who is 5 flights up. 3–please. However, I echo the sentiment of an earlier post regarding packages, etc. if you get a number of packages delivered and you aren’t always there, the hassle of them going missing may not be worth the savings. And, the added security depending on exactly where the apartment is.

My townhouse is four stories . . . I’ve never bothered to warn a provider they’ll have to climb three flights of stairs once they’re inside. I sometimes grumble under my breadth when I have to go down three flights and back up two with the dogs before bed. I think what you’re proposing is quite doable.

Time management: Arrive early enough to allow for a leisurely climb rather than a sprint.

This is good advice.

@Daniel84 , consider telling clients after they book with you that your apartment is on the 4th floor with no elevator, so they can arrive early if needed.

As a NYC tourist three years ago, I did not realize a massuer I hired was on the 5th floor with no elevator until I arrived at the building. Had he told me when giving me his address, I would have planned to arrive a few minutes earlier to allow me extra time to leisurely climb the stairs. Instead, I nearly sprinted up the stairs in order to not be late, and arrived out of breath.

Why would I hire a CPA when I am sole proprietor?

Because, when the IRS comes knocking, you want an authorized, licensed person to handle your case to avoid any personal interaction between you and the IRS. Any reputable CPA will tell a customer to never speak to the IRS on your own. Always let a professional represent you.

Now I know why the place I am looking at has been empty for 3 months. They want a CPA letter, my business plan ect. I have a massage studio and my portrait studio. It’s very easy to do my taxes with quickbooks self employment. Why would I hire a CPA when I am sole proprietor?

I was never asked to turnover a business plan for a apartment. I just rented a 900 sq portrait studio commercial space and they didmy even ask for my business plan.

Since it's a residential apartment, why do you have to tell them that you are using it as a massage/photo studio? The less said, the better unless you will be so busy with so much foot traffic that it will draw attention from your nosy neighbors. It would be different if you were not going to live there. Just my 2 cents.

Since it's a residential apartment, why do you have to tell them that you are using it as a massage/photo studio? The less said, the better unless you will be so busy with so much foot traffic that it will draw attention from your nosy neighbors. It would be different if you were not going to live there. Just my 2 cents.

I also don’t understand why the landlord or building manager needs a business plan for a residential rental. Proof of income, that I understand, but that can be established by your prior year’s tax return. I thought from one of your earlier posts that you had rented a separate commercial space as a photography studio. And I agree it would be best to keep the massage business out of the discussion.

Perhaps part of the service could be you, carrying up the (now) naked client, up to the bedroom. Either cuddled in your arms or sprawled across your broad back. For added spice the client could feign resistance. A modern day Scarlett O'hara. That would be a GREAT way to start a session................a boy can dream............

Yeah, I also prefer a walk-up to a doorman building. One time saw a masseur at a doorman building and felt kind of awkward about it not knowing if the masseur was using his real name. And also just thinking the doorman must see a lot of guys going to his apartment all the time. But maybe that’s just me being a little immature about it?

As long as the provider doesn't make noise the mgt. in most cases won't even bother.

people walk in and out of buil

I met with a provider this week that was 6 flights up. Don’t even think about it cause it really is more the norm here in the city.

and that's one of the things that keeps NY such a fit city!

@Daniel84

I know I've seen your ad before, but I can't find it now. Didn't you used to have a link in your profile?

I also don’t understand why the landlord or building manager needs a business plan for a residential rental. Proof of income, that I understand, but that can be established by your prior year’s tax return. I thought from one of your earlier posts that you had rented a separate commercial space as a photography studio. And I agree it would be best to keep the massage business out of the discussion.

Yes I have a commercial space for photography. Let’s see what they say tomorrow

Perhaps part of the service could be you, carrying up the (now) naked client, up to the bedroom. Either cuddled in your arms or sprawled across your broad back. For added spice the client could feign resistance. A modern day Scarlett O'hara. That would be a GREAT way to start a session................a boy can dream............

Hahaha ?

Since it's a residential apartment, why do you have to tell them that you are using it as a massage/photo studio?

It probably is a lease requirement. If found out after the fact, he could be evicted and seriously fined. Ever since 9/11, the days of avoiding non-nosy neighbors are long gone. Doing business from home requires disclosure, especially if the business invites other people into the building.

As someone who is a bigger person and for a point of my life spent 3 years living in a 4 floor walk up. It shouldn’t be an issue. Also most place I visit in NYC seem to always be a walk up anyways. I don’t see the issue. I hope your new place goes well for you!

I always try to be the bigger person, but it is hard! ?

b64101e7541a4f7ba2937a91e1078648_1200x.jpg?v=1592833672