Favorite Broadway Showtunes

mmk
This topic is 5798 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>There was a show called SIDESHOW about two attached twins

>(female) found in a freak show who became vaudeville stars. It

>was all about one's search for fame and another's for love.

>AMAZING SCORE and LEAD PERFORMANCES. However, that was the

>year of the MONSTER called LION KING. It was LOST and CRUSHED

>by the DISNEY STAMPEDE.

>

>A TONY CLIP:

>

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8VVljroIU

>

>Some SHOW INFO:

>

>http://broadwaymusicalhome.com/shows/sideshow.htm

A CLIP from the THANKSGIVING Day Parade

LINCOLN CENTER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW44lF4PnTc&feature=related

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It Sucks to Me" Avenue Q

"I Don't Know How to Love Him" Jesus Christ Superstar

"Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" Annie Get Your Gun

"Officer Krupky" "America" "Somewhere" West Side Story

"Friendship" DuBarry was a Lady as redone on the I Love Lucy Show, as that is the first Broadway musical number I can recall from my childhood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JeyEisE-rE&NR=1

I have never seen a purplekow;

I never hope to see one;

I can tell you anyhow;

I'd rather see than be one

Help there is a purplekow in my mirror

>Say what you want about gay men and show tunes, this site is

>already outpacing "How to Clean Your Hole."

You mean "thread," not "site," right? However, as of right now, the douche thread has 7 replies and over 700 views, while this one has 25+ replies but only 425+ views. This shows that more people have a desire to clean their ass (but not talk about it), while more people have a desire to list their favorite showtunes but not read about it. :p

Guest zipperzone

>He's right and you're right -- kind of. The songs in question

>are from the stage version of "Babes in Arms."

Thanks, I didn't know that.

>They were later incorporated into the (awful) film version of

>"Pal Joey" in 1956 (?).

Wikipedia shows the date as '57. I agree the movie was not bad but I like almost anything set in San Fran., and I thought the songs were spectaclar. Remember, "Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered", "Zip", "I Could Write a Book"?

Surprised no one has mentioned "Some Enchanted Evening" from "South Pacific".... and there's always "Don't Cry for me Argentina"

>>Say what you want about gay men and show tunes, this site

>is

>>already outpacing "How to Clean Your Hole."

>

>You mean "thread," not "site," right?

>However, as of right now, the douche thread has 7 replies and

>over 700 views, while this one has 25+ replies but only 425+

>views. This shows that more people have a desire to clean

>their ass (but not talk about it), while more people have a

>desire to list their favorite showtunes but not read about it.

> :p

Which in turn suggests, as you probably and justly mean to imply, that the Puritans live on.

Perhaps if Matthew Morrison stripped and jerked off to "Happy Talk," the THREADS would entwine.

"I'd say that's a bit of an extreme reaction, now wouldn't you?" -- N.F. Bates

Lankypeters

The original cast album of "The Baker's Wife" with Paul Sorvino and Patti Lupone, recorded in '76. (Evita opened on Broadway, with Lupone, in '78.)

The singing is wonderful and the music/lyrics, by Stephen Schwartz, are enchanting. Other Schwartz musicals include "Godspell", "Pippin", and "Wicked".

I love this album and the story pretty much comes to life through the songs--I've never missed the dialogue.

The show never made it to Broadway and has gone through many revisions, including subsequent recordings, over the years. Stick with the original cast album--it'll stick with you!

Available on Amazon

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006AWJM/musicalschwar-20 )

"I Have Dreamed" [The King and I] is a favorite.

"The Story Goes On" [baby]

Younger than Springtime and Some Enchanted Evening (South Pacific)

Getting Tall (Nine)

Don't cry for me Argentina (Evita)

I believe in you and Brotherhood of Man (How to Succeed in Business without really trying)

The night they invented Champagne and The Contract (Gigi)

I could go on forever.

>After seeing 'A Chorus Line'

>tonight with Mario Lopez, I'd add "What I did for

>Love" :)

>

>

>

>Steven Draker ~

>[a href=http://www.hotsexystud.com/uk]website[/a]

>[a

>href=http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=steven_draker_brussels]reviews[/a]

That was quite the sacrifice.

"I Am What I Am" from La Cage aux Folles

Guest jaighbos

Good Lord, I never thought of myself as a musical theatre fan, even though I work smack-dab in the midst of the Broadway world - and then I started thinking of so many songs . . . I think I'm a show queen!!!

I was so glad to see PK list "I Am What I Am", I was wondering if times had changed so much 'cuz I hadn't seen it listed earlier!

Some other songs for the list:

"The Bitch of Living" and "Don't Do Sadness" from Spring Awakening (I listen to it all the time)

"Around the World" from Grey Gardens

"Still" from Titanic

"Simple" from Nine

Most anything from Sweeney Todd and Follies

I could go on and on - but I'll leave it at this. Thanks for the original post to get me thinking!

Guest ncm2169

The Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur routine was the highlight of my evening. SPECTACULAR!!! }(

Thank you SOOOOO much!

Guest TexHunk69

Maybe I'm crazy, but the best Showtune of the past year or two HAS to be "Screw Loose" from the sadly unrecorded Cry-Baby. I had the good fortune to see Alli Mauzey perform it twice, and the YouTube videos don't even do her justice! I hope they do somehow record the show, so that drag queens everywhere can have a new anthem to lip sync!

It was a really fun show that got unfairly maligned--Alli Mauzey, Harriet Harris and the incredibly HOT dancers (in convict garb, no less!) should have insured a nice long run!

--TexHunk

Gays and show tunes? Aren't we desperately trying to live down these stereotypes? Could we all just please put away our poodles and dolls and step up to the plate and take a swing at not being so obviously not straight acting?

Well, not me. My faves are....

"I'm Just a Girl that Can't Say No"..... from Okliehomo..... and you all can shut up, because neither can you... and all those other songs about "wind sweeping down the plains" and "oh what a beautiful morning" are painfully true, but still, it's Oklahoma.

"He had it coming..." the Cell Block Tango.. from "Chicago"... and every other song from that as well.... especially "Nowadays"... and the other things I like about Chicago... are Mark.

"One Night Only" from "Dreamgirls" because that's usually exactly what I pay for... and "Hard to Say Goodbye" .... because it usually is still hard when they leave... big lie. Usually, I am so sexed out that I don't even think about it until my next guest in two weeks.

Last fave.... "Cabaret"

"Money Makes the World Go Around.." why, yes, it does.....

"Maybe this Time".... well, we'll see.... David and Dane Scott are visiting soon..

"Cabaret"....... because I really DO want to go like Elsie!!!!

Okie

>Check out hunky baritone Nathan Gunn singing "C'est

>Moi" from the recent Lincoln Center production of

>"Camelot".

>

>

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRRlUxjir0g

>

>Nathan is magnifique!

>

>cityguy

AND SO is Paulo Szot, the star of SOUTH PACIFIC. And, according to AfterElton.com, Paulo's publicist says Paulo is .............GAY and OUT!

"I'd say that's a bit of an extreme reaction, now wouldn't you?" -- N.F. Bates

Lankypeters

Archived