Making my final arrangements, finding it overwhelming

This topic is 1222 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Every time I see the thread title about making final arrangements, I think Will and Last Testament, Durable Power of Attorney, Healthcare Wishes, etc. I am glad that @Unicorn is making arrangements, but I doubt that they will be final.

Just finished my last day at work!!!! Talking about last will and testament, I'm really going to have to update that. Since I've bought the new house, and the old one will be sold in about 3 weeks, the document is seriously out of date. And I know I really need to replace my will with a trust. And they've scheduled my 2nd Covid-19 shot for 5 minutes after 3 weeks from my 1st dose. I sent a laughing emoji when they said they were adding the 5 minutes. That's a major countdown for me, too. And now "Lindoro" tells me he's come down sick and went for Covid-19 testing today. By the time I come down the 2nd time, he should be well, and I'll be fully vaccinated. The work countdown has finished, then there's my cancer removal countdown, Covid shot countdown, and leave the old house for good countdown! Yikes, I feel a song coming on...

"The 2nd dose appointments are automatically scheduled at 21 days + 5 minutes after your 1st dose appointment. I show you were here for first dose 12/22 @ 10:55am, so your 2nd dose is currently scheduled for 1/12/21 @ 11:00am. Same location."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished my last day at work!!!! Talking about last will and testament, I'm really going to have to update that. Since I've bought the new house, and the old one will be sold in about 3 weeks, the document is seriously out of date. And I know I really need to replace my will with a trust. And they've scheduled my 2nd Covid-19 shot for 5 minutes after 3 weeks from my 1st dose. I sent a laughing emoji when they said they were adding the 5 minutes. That's a major countdown for me, too. And now "Lindoro" tells me he's come down sick and went for Covid-19 testing today. By the time I come down the 2nd time, he should be well, and I'll be fully vaccinated. The work countdown has finished, then there's my cancer removal countdown, Covid shot countdown, and leave the old house for good countdown! Yikes, I feel a song coming on...

"The 2nd dose appointments are automatically scheduled at 21 days + 5 minutes after your 1st dose appointment. I show you were here for first dose 12/22 @ 10:55am, so your 2nd dose is currently scheduled for 1/12/21 @ 11:00am. Same location."

You do have a lot on your plate!

Thanks. Yeah, I do have a designer. And I did hire a packing and unpacking service on both ends. I still have big decisions on what stays and what goes. Do I keep my gardening tools although I have a landscaper? What kitchen items to keep.... And the books....

unless you have really high end kitchen stuff I’d just toss it all and start over.

All I took was whatever I could fit into my car. Got rid of everything else. It's was a painful concept for me to let possessions go, but I can say there have only been a handful of things I have really missed. A minor inconvenience here and there and a couple of trips to WalMart and I was fine.

Good luck on your next stage of life.

When I lived in Los Angeles I had an extra box spring that I didn’t need so I turned it into a canvas in the living room. Every guest, friend, family member, hook up etc that came into that apartment signed it, made a drawing, shared a quote on it etc.

when it came time to move there was no way to take it with us due to its size.

The room mate and I took a couple of photos of it that now live in a shoe box somewhere. Saying good bye to possessions is tough but you got this!

• 3 weeks later...

My last move was 30 years ago... Hard to imagine what my new life will be like....

I expected to find a thread about being overwhelmed by planning what will happen to your body and your stuff after death. Isn't that usually the topic covered by the phrase "final arrangements?"

Every time I see the thread title about making final arrangements, I think Will and Last Testament, Durable Power of Attorney, Healthcare Wishes, etc.

It's a shame you already closed on your little cottage, or you could have retired to this:

https://nypost.com/2021/01/23/windsurfer-robby-naishs-hawaiian-estate-hits-market-for-18m/

I have a trust that has two lists of names:

1) Fuck you, you know what you did. You get nothing.

2) Whatever is left. Fight among yourself. I don't really care what you end up with.

That reminds me that I really should update my will today, and work on getting a trust set up. I just got a call that the sale of my old place has been finalized. I just sold it to home flippers. Curious to see what they get for it and when. I'm getting my furniture more slowly than I'd like (I've been discussing with my interior designer for 2 months), but it's coming. I have my master bed, my office, some rugs, and the tapestries are hung. Hopefully "Diego" will be moving in tomorrow.

I hope you're kidding, @TruthBTold . If your trust really doesn't specify who should get what, that'll just make a bunch of lawyers rich, and leave a legacy of resentment amongst your heirs. I doubt that's how you want to be remembered. Or are you really a misanthrope? Even if there's no one you like, at least make it easy on charities you care about.

If you haven't spent your last dollar on your last day of life, some might argue you've mismanaged your money.

Meh. Most people, even many of very modest means benefited in some way from the resources of those who came before them when they were young. I have no issue with passing something forward. Plus you need a cushion in case you last longer than you expect. Because it's not like you can just run out and get a job at 90 in most cases(though there are some exceptions).

Meh. Most people, even many of very modest means benefited in some way from the resources of those who came before them when they were young. I have no issue with passing something forward. Plus you need a cushion in case you last longer than you expect. Because it's not like you can just run out and get a job at 90 in most cases(though there are some exceptions).

:eek: :eek: Really? I thought for sure I'd be able to be an internet INFLUENCER at 90, IF I could at least remember WHERE I was ??? :eek::eek:

:eek: :eek: Really? I thought for sure I'd be able to be an internet INFLUENCER at 90, IF I could at least remember WHERE I was ??? :eek::eek:

Work those selfies babe - we will be rooting for you! You will need a cute puppy - pics with puppies always get more likes!! ??

Edited by FrankR