Absurd Comedy of Covid

Epigonos
This topic is 1214 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Was supposed to have sinus surgery (procedure) on 12/23. Had Covid19 test on 12/21. Came back positive on 12/22. Am totally asymptomatic. Sinus surgery (procedure) canceled on 12/22. Had second Covid19 test on 12/22. Second test results came back negative on 12/25. Local Department of Health nurse called on 12/25 regarding first (12/21) test results. Nurse agreed that first test was most likely false positive. Called primary physician on 12/28 and am scheduled to have blood drawn for IGM-IGG Covid Antibodies Test on 12/30 at 10:15 a.m. God only knows when the sinus surgery (procedure) will be rescheduled.

My first reaction to this entire episode was fear. My second reaction was anger. My third reaction has been to laugh and conclude that these tests, though they may be the best we currently have, are NOT really all that accurate. Therefore, there is absolutely nothing I can do about this absurd fucked up mess so I might as well laugh – which is exactly what I’m doing.

Happy New Year to ALL.

Laughter is the best medicine. Keep your chin up.

Personally, depending on the test (PCR vs Antigen), I think there are more false negatives

than there are false positives. Given that there are lots of asymptotic carriers and the

serum antigens wane with time.....it’s almost impossible to tell though.

Be glad your not ill, but assume you have it and are contagious. In a word, quarantine.

It's easy to be unaware of the fact that there are false negatives and false positives if you are not watching all this closely, especially somewhere that has a flood of cases each day that obscures the details. Even here, when the numbers are low enough that there is public discussion about any false positives that are reversed, because one, two or three fewer cases seems to make a material difference, it's easy to 'know' about such tests but for the fact not to register. It's only when a false result hits you personally, either for a loved one or for yourself, that you really think about it and for resentment possibly to bubble up, and for it to be 'about' you. It's not, it's the way things are. More power to you @Epigonos for laughing it off. The inconveniences and deeper trials of this pandemic are not over, anything that helps us to live through them, individually or collectively, is to be welcomed. You have given us all a positive way to approach it.