Amazon Accused For Backing Anti-Gay Charities

Lucky
This topic is 1190 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Amazon is the big giant who seems to be continually criticized, and maybe for good reason. The Amazon Smile program apparently has several anti-gay charities getting funds:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/diversity-inclusion/531331-amazon-accused-of-allowing-anti-lgbt

Story at a glance

• In the last year, Amazon customers have donated $215 million to charities through AmazonSmile.
  • A new report reveals that these charities include dozens of U.S.-based anti-LGBT groups.
  • The company has policies against discrimination based on sexual orientation and pledged to be an advocate for the community.

I don't have any knowledge of the charities that Amazon may or may not contribute, but I do know that there is always more to the story.

I have a friend who introduced me to "Kathy." I met Kathy a few times at LGBTQ charities. She was very generous to HRC, the local AIDS foundation and the local chapter of PRIDE. I didn't know Kathy, except as a friend of a friend who was always a pleasure to be around. One day, my friend and I were talking about food cravings. She said she was craving something from Chick Fil A. I told her that sounded good but I wouldn't eat there because of their contributions to anti-LGBTQ causes. She responded, "Are you high? Kathy owns the franchise throughout the city."

Amazon's contributions may have more of a back story than we know or is reported.

As far as I know, the contributions made through Amazon's Smile program are based on a percentage of customers' purchases. It allows customers to designate which charity they want their contributions to go to, even if it isn't yet listed on Amazon's site. I sort of look at it like this: Instead of giving customers a 0.5% discount on what they buy, they instead distribute 0.5% of purchases made through Smile to customers' designated charities. Because of this I'd say that it really isn't Amazon backing anti-gay charities; it's just that some of their customers choose to back anti-gay charities. Does anyone believe Amazon is going to say to their customers who want to support Catholic Charities, for example, that they should shop at Walmart instead because they no longer want their business?

I don't have any knowledge of the charities that Amazon may or may not contribute, but I do know that there is always more to the story.

I have a friend who introduced me to "Kathy." I met Kathy a few times at LGBTQ charities. She was very generous to HRC, the local AIDS foundation and the local chapter of PRIDE. I didn't know Kathy, except as a friend of a friend who was always a pleasure to be around. One day, my friend and I were talking about food cravings. She said she was craving something from Chick Fil A. I told her that sounded good but I wouldn't eat there because of their contributions to anti-LGBTQ causes. She responded, "Are you high? Kathy owns the franchise throughout the city."

Amazon's contributions may have more of a back story than we know or is reported.

My response to that is Kathy is a nice person and a friend to the LGBTIQ community.

However as a franchise owner Kathy will be paying a lot of $$ to the brand, who hate us, and go out of their way to discredit us.

So sorry Kathy, your business decision is in contrast to the decent person you are, but I will not ever spend a cent with a company that sends money to a charity that works against me, due to their hate.

I would encourage all of my gay brothers and sisters to do what they can to improve the respect and quality of our community