Movies or shows (TV or otherwise) you were surprised you liked

samhexum
This topic is 1194 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I was about 14, my mother, aunt, sister, & I went into Manhattan to try to get tickets for a play at the discount ticket booth. When we got to the front of the line, we saw there were tickets available for Shirley Maclaine Live at The Palace. Against my wishes, I was dragged to the theater... and LOVED it! I went out the next day & bought the album.

I was recently reminded of the movie (Howard Stern's) Private Parts, which I really liked, despite really disliking Howard Stern.

I had also really disliked Roseanne Barr's stand-up act when she was first getting well-known, but the reviews of her sitcom's pilot episode were so good I watched it anyway and loved it. Any time somebody told me they hated her (act), I'd tell them to watch the show, because it had a lot more depth and heart (at least for the first 6 seasons).

A friend had to drag me to the first Ice Age movie and I wound up absolutely loving it, after having been quite disappointed by Shrek earlier that year, and not being in the mood for a 'kiddie' flick again.

So what surprised you over the years?

Edited by samhexum

The surprise was Ralph Richardson in "The Wild Duck.". I knew Richardson was a famous and beloved actor, but not much else. I was spellbound from the beginning.

(1980)

Biggest disappointed was the out-of-town tryout of "Funny Girl" in Boston. (1964)

Edited by WilliamM

I was recently reminded of the movie (Howard Stern's) Private Parts, which I really liked, despite really disliking Howard Stern.

I had also really disliked Roseanne Barr's stand-up act when she was first getting well-known, but the reviews of her sitcom's pilot episode were so good I watched it anyway and loved it. Any time somebody told me they hated her (act), I'd tell them to watch the show, because it had a lot more depth and heart (at least for the first 6 seasons).

A friend had to drag me to the first Ice Age movie and I wound up absolutely loving it, after having been quite disappointed by Shrek earlier that year, and not being in the mood for a 'kiddie' flick again.

OMG! I used to have that LP when I was in Junior High! ? I loved Shirley MacLaine as a kid but as an adult I can't remember why! ?

I saw Shirley Mac Laine at the Palace also,

But even near the end of her life (August, 1967) Judy Garland at the Palace was much more memorable. We could have done without her two younger children.

Garland sang "Ole Man River.". Her last concerts n New York were at Christmas 1967. I believe she did did sing months later at a tribute to Harold Arlen.

Edited by WilliamM

Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm a nerd about movie/TV/book series I'm interested in so I tend to come into them with a lot of expectations and preconceived notions. I had never seen any of the other Mad Max movies and was only familiar with them in the vaguest terms.

I wasn't planning on seeing it but then I saw a bunch of MRA's got sandpaper up their crack about it so I decided to see it just on principle. It's one of the few movies I came in seeing with a blank slate in a long time. I didn't really think it would be anything much more than some over-the-top action movie batshittery.

But boy, when I saw it I was blown away. It definitely had some grade A action movie batshittery, but the well developed characters, backstories, themes caught me by surprise. The cinematography was just amazing as well. It was the first time I'd been surprised by something I watched in a long time

• 1 month later...

"Jackass: the movie". I'd never watched the show and thought it was, well, infantile, but my roommate at the time, not the type who you'd expect to like it, saw it and said it was hilarious. "Those guys are just so comfortable with what they're doing with their cocks", I think was his quote. I saw it and found it a lot funnier than I expected.