The Queen’s Gambit

jeezifonly
This topic is 1262 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

we started it last night - absolutely LOVE it, we've watched through episode five.

It's set against the world of competitive chess, but it's more about how the young woman slowly fits into a man's world in the 60's and (at present) into her adopted family. I'm a geek and absolutely love some of the scenes precisely correcting placement of pieces, the high speed blurred play showing what's going on in her mind, and sleep scenes of playing games again and again...

we started it last night - absolutely LOVE it, we've watched through episode five.

It's set against the world of competitive chess, but it's more about how the young woman slowly fits into a man's world in the 60's and (at present) into her adopted family. I'm a geek and absolutely love some of the scenes precisely correcting placement of pieces, the high speed blurred play showing what's going on in her mind, and sleep scenes of playing games again and again...

Oh good - glad to get another rec

Huzz said Stephen King liked it, and we know that he doesn’t suffer trite.

Getting into her whole relationship with Mother...

Google is our friend. Enter: Where was The Queen's Gambit filmed? And you’ll get a complete rundown:

The US Open held in the Hotel Mariposa in Las Vegas is the Palais am Funkturm building of the Messe Berlin. Build in the 1950s, this large exhibition complex is located in the Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf district of the city. The entrance, shot from the interior Summer Garden side, was modified via digital effects adding palm trees and a new building.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished it and liked it a lot. I am not a chess player and I became very interested in how the game was played. I would not be able to keep up with the need to plan moves ahead and hope that your adversary will react in a certain way so that you could respond in a certain way. The main character I found fascinating and her ability to develop even though she had a lot going against her. And of course her genius made her very attractive to others. However I found that it had some small problems as it went along. There was a certain repetitiveness to many of the scenes but I could get over that. It is certainly worth watching. P.S. I don't think I am giving anything away but the photographer is gay, right? That was what the early scene between him, her, and the gentleman who invited him "down to the pool" led me to believe.

I finished it and liked it a lot. I am not a chess player and I became very interested in how the game was played. I would not be able to keep up with the need to plan moves ahead and hope that your adversary will react in a certain way so that you could respond in a certain way. The main character I found fascinating and her ability to develop even though she had a lot going against her. And of course her genius made her very attractive to others. However I found that it had some small problems as it went along. There was a certain repetitiveness to many of the scenes but I could get over that. It is certainly worth watching. P.S. I don't think I am giving anything away but the photographer is gay, right? That was what the early scene between him, her, and the gentleman who invited him "down to the pool" led me to believe.

@TruthBTold I had wondered about that same set-up, and if it was meant to imply that, they were wise to leave it being an open question. Was the same young man part of their later meeting by chance?

They clarified that the photographer was gay in the last episode, I thought. The "down by the pool" guy was only in that one episode.

• 4 weeks later...