The "Verbose" icon in the "Like" button

Charlie
This topic is 1369 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can this icon be removed from the options? It isn't used often, and when it is used it is almost always inappropriate, because the user doesn't seem to understand what verbose means. It means that the post uses long-winded and complicated language, but it is often used as a criticism of fairly short, easily understood posts which the reader apparently disagrees with.

I don't see an issue with it. All I regret is mentioning how much I hate the thumb down option - only to be bombarded with thumb down reactions, most but not all of them jokingly! There's nine of you out there who dislike multiple things I post - not that I'm keeping track or anything. ?

I also think the Dislike ?, Bomb ? and angry :mad: buttons have a duplicated purpose. Admins could remove the bomb and the angry buttons and leave only the Dislike. There are cases when some members abuse the bomb and I've never seen anyone using the angry reaction in ages. The angry button function can easily be performed by the Dislike.

Edited by orville

I also think the Dislike ?, Bomb ? and angry :mad: buttons have a duplicated purpose. Admins could remove the bomb and the angry buttons and leave only the Dislike. There are cases when some members abuse the bomb and I've never seen anyone using the angry reaction in ages. The angry button function can easily be performed by the Dislike.

On facebook, I've used the "Angry" icon sometimes to say "I agree with what the poster said, and it makes me angry also".

(Likewise with the "Sad" icon).

I've mistakenly used the "Verbose" icon when I intended "Applause" and my aim was off. When I've done that, the posters have written politely and inquired if it was intentional, and I've immediate repaired my error.

I do have to say that I'm a little confused about the distinction between "Ad hominem" and "insulting" ...

As far as I'm concerned, like and dislike are plenty. Trying to parse the emotional differences among, for example, anger, dislike, and bomb is worse than trying to decide whether to click 5 or 6 or 7 on one of those annoying merchant surveys.

And the ad hominem icon? --what exactly does that represent?

But...I've to to say I like the look of the verbose icon, though I'm willing to sacrifice it for the greater good.