Siri Hears You, So Do Apple Employees

Lucky
This topic is 1382 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So when you are beating off at your computer, telling that onscreen hunk to fuck you and shove his big dick into you, you might not be alone. Especially if you have an Apple product. Siri listens in on your most intimate moments, and so do Apple employees, according to this Guardian article today: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/14/apple-siri-secret-surveillance-campaign-investigation

So when you are beating off at your computer, telling that onscreen hunk to fuck you and shove his big dick into you, you might not be alone. Especially if you have an Apple product. Siri listens in on your most intimate moments, and so do Apple employees, according to this Guardian article today: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/14/apple-siri-secret-surveillance-campaign-investigation

Which is why I disable all those voice activated features. I can't stand the idea of having an Amazon Echo in my house either.

D_nr1D3WkAYXvR7.jpg

I think this is mostly alarmist click-bait. Sound is not transmitted from your device until you say the "Hey Siri" and then, during that time, there is clear visual feedback that Siri is listening. Sometimes Siri is activated by accident, when your device hears something that sounds almost like "Hey Siri." These are the times that Apple employees, like the one in the article, have mentioned hearing private conversations.

Siri requests are anonymized so that (supposedly) they can't be linked back to your or your personally identifiable information.

To me, Google and Amazon devices are of more concern. Google collects as much information about you as it can to target ads to you and Amazon collects information to sell you stuff. Apple doesn't have these conflicting business interests.

I think this is mostly alarmist click-bait. Sound is not transmitted from your device until you say the "Hey Siri" and then, during that time, there is clear visual feedback that Siri is listening. Sometimes Siri is activated by accident, when your device hears something that sounds almost like "Hey Siri." These are the times that Apple employees, like the one in the article, have mentioned hearing private conversations.

Siri requests are anonymized so that (supposedly) they can't be linked back to your or your personally identifiable information.

To me, Google and Amazon devices are of more concern. Google collects as much information about you as it can to target ads to you and Amazon collects information to sell you stuff. Apple doesn't have these conflicting business interests.

I think that you need to re-read the article.

Google and Amazon certainly harvest your activity for marketing purposes, but you gave me a chuckle when you claimed that Apple doesn't have such conflicting business interests? App store? Music/video purchases? Accessories purchases? Device purchases?

...you gave me a chuckle when you claimed that Apple doesn't have such conflicting business interests? App store? Music/video purchases? Accessories purchases? Device purchases?

I've seen no reports (or evidence) that Apple actually uses your personal info that way. I think that music that you listen to influences the music that they suggest, but I feel like that is fair game. One of Apple's key marketing strategies revolves around the protection of your privacy and security. I acknowledge that there is a certain risk that is just a big lie, but I think this idea is dangerously close to a conspiracy theory.

I'm sometimes astonished at how good Google is getting at creating a profile of me. Just now for instance I put "Google Play Films" into Google and Google gave me a list of movies that I might enjoy watching. And whaddya know? Almost all movies on that list were either ones I'd seen or ones that I'd very much like to see. I ended up seeing one of the suggested movies!

Except the ads, I keep getting these ads for straight dating coaches like "How to make you irresistible to her." My daily searches for "Guy getting his ass destroyed by huge monster dick" isn't enough to clue Google in that I'm a gay?

I've seen no reports (or evidence) that Apple actually uses your personal info that way. I think that music that you listen to influences the music that they suggest, but I feel like that is fair game. One of Apple's key marketing strategies revolves around the protection of your privacy and security. I acknowledge that there is a certain risk that is just a big lie, but I think this idea is dangerously close to a conspiracy theory.

Don't drink the Apple Kool-Aid. 5,400 trackers installed on this guy's phone in a single week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/05/28/its-middle-night-do-you-know-who-your-iphone-is-talking/

I'm sometimes astonished at how good Google is getting at creating a profile of me. Just now for instance I put "Google Play Films" into Google and Google gave me a list of movies that I might enjoy watching. And whaddya know? Almost all movies on that list were either ones I'd seen or ones that I'd very much like to see. I ended up seeing one of the suggested movies!

Except the ads, I keep getting these ads for straight dating coaches like "How to make you irresistible to her." My daily searches for "Guy getting his ass destroyed by huge monster dick" isn't enough to clue Google in that I'm a gay?

Reminds me of Facebook a few years ago. Even though I posted tons of gay content and liked lots of hot, muscular men, Facebook seemed intent on pretending I was straight.

I'm not surprised in the least. There is no privacy anymore, I wouldn't expect as much in this day in age but it doesn't keep me up at night. All of the algorithms can determine your sex, race, sexual orientation and socio economic status. If Siri wants to hear me fart and drop a turd so be it...

We are ensnared by the Convenience of devices that do SO MUCH SO FAST. It’s really engaging and interesting, helpful, efficient and fun!

Social Media are brilliant, each in their own way, with promises of even more means of connection in the future...

I axed home Alexa right after she responded to dialogue on a TV show with character ‘Alexis’

Siri on my phone is enabled only in Maps.

The development of the whole convenience/speed/brilliance/connection is moving apace faster than we can consider the ethics and law around personal privacy. Which is a feature, not a bug, as far as manufacturers developers and ad-buyers go.

I left FB in ‘13, for reasons which have been validated since, in every investigation and hearing with the Zuck in his booster seat.

I must use email calls and texting to stay in touch, and then ask people about mutual contacts. Im not on any other social media that uses my name, or has any contacts, nor followers.

That’s MY trade off. Sacrificing some connection and convenience for a little more privacy... I don’t get the amount of junk that others do, nor worry about the whole eavesdropping thing. Based on the business models, privacy is the pin to their balloons...