2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1125 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Restaurants re-opened for limited indoor dining yesterday, and the PS Art Museum re-opens April 1st. The aerial tram is running again, but one needs a reservation, and a friend told me yesterday that she couldn't get a reservation earlier than the end of this month, so you may want to try to get one now for that weekend.

Would you consider the PS aerial tram a must-see for first timers? I'm also debating whether to rent a car or just use uber/lyft.

Would you consider the PS aerial tram a must-see for first timers? I'm also debating whether to rent a car or just use uber/lyft.

I've been told that the tram is a great excursion, but I've not done it on my two forum weekends. I would say do it if you can but don't lose any sleep if you miss out. As for renting a car, I didn't on my first weekend, when I was only doing PS, and did on the second when I was going to Las Vegas as well and planned to drive (and did) between the two. If this year is anything like previous ones, there will be people in the hotel that have cars so you'll be able to travel with them to the events (assuming you are in one of the resorts where a number of forum members are staying). I would say if you're thinking about renting a car, see what daily rate you can get and if that's about what you'd expect for two or three Uber rides a day, rent it. There's no right answer. (I only drove on the left hand side of a road once on my last visit.)

YES! The tram is a must-see. It's the biggest tram you'll ever ride, spins while it moves so you get all the views, and the giant forest on top of the mountain is like no other. Don't plan a big hike though because the oxygen up there makes a pleasant walk feel like run.

If you do take the tram and intend to spend more than a few minutes at the top TAKE a sweatshirt or jacket. Even when it is hot in Palm Springs it is quite cool or down right cold at the top. I'm afraid of heights so I did it only once and don't intend to ever do it again. I do agree with IronMaus that the views are spectacular.

Edited by Epigonos

I'm also debating whether to rent a car or just use uber/lyft.

If you haven't checked rental car rates lately you really should 1st. I don't know about PS but most places they've exploded. A couple places I go a lot and usually get sub-$200/wk rates are now over $650/wk for an economy! Rental companies dumped most of their cars for the pandemic and haven't begun restocking yet even though travel is increasing fast.

Unlike past years, this time I reserved a car. Best deal I could get was a mid-sized SUV from Budget at the airport at $43 per day for 5 days. Much higher than I had expected. In the past I relied on Uber/Lyft and the kindness of others to shuttle me around town. It was OK, but this year I will be in a position to return the favor, so hit me up if you need a ride somewhere. I'm staying at Inndulge.

I thought I might take the tram this year. Will explore reservations for it. Let me know if anyone else is interested. The art museum, btw is terrific.

Glad to hear that the city will not likely be under any kind of severe lockdown. I am so looking forward to this trip. I haven't been anywhere in 15 months and am tired of rain.

YES! The tram is a must-see. It's the biggest tram you'll ever ride, spins while it moves so you get all the views, and the giant forest on top of the mountain is like no other. Don't plan a big hike though because the oxygen up there makes a pleasant walk feel like run.

I got slammed with altitude sickness in Ecuador. Quito is over 9000 feet up. Didn't expect it. However, I'm good for a couple hours up there.

I've been told that the tram is a great excursion, but I've not done it on my two forum weekends. I would say do it if you can but don't lose any sleep if you miss out. As for renting a car, I didn't on my first weekend, when I was only doing PS, and did on the second when I was going to Las Vegas as well and planned to drive (and did) between the two. If this year is anything like previous ones, there will be people in the hotel that have cars so you'll be able to travel with them to the events (assuming you are in one of the resorts where a number of forum members are staying). I would say if you're thinking about renting a car, see what daily rate you can get and if that's about what you'd expect for two or three Uber rides a day, rent it. There's no right answer. (I only drove on the left hand side of a road once on my last visit.)

I drove around the UK many years ago. The first few days were terrifying. Chose not to try it again. Roundabouts were a unique challenge. Cambodia is pretty special. Thailand to their west drives on the left, while Vietnam to the east drives on the right. Cambodians choose not to take sides and just drive anywhere.

Unlike past years, this time I reserved a car. Best deal I could get was a mid-sized SUV from Budget at the airport at $43 per day for 5 days. Much higher than I had expected. In the past I relied on Uber/Lyft and the kindness of others to shuttle me around town. It was OK, but this year I will be in a position to return the favor, so hit me up if you need a ride somewhere. I'm staying at Inndulge.

I thought I might take the tram this year. Will explore reservations for it. Let me know if anyone else is interested. The art museum, btw is terrific.

Glad to hear that the city will not likely be under any kind of severe lockdown. I am so looking forward to this trip. I haven't been anywhere in 15 months and am tired of rain.

I will be driving into town from a nearby city and could also shuttle people around on my 2-door car for those under 6' tall that can twist and turn their bodies to get in the back seats... Although, with the top down it will be easier... ;)

Mine are very primitive. I pipe the filling into the whites using a pastry bag with star tip. I start with Dijon mustard and add enough to almost achieve the consistence I need for piping. I then add Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, Garlic Salt, and white pepper to taste. The last thing I add is just enough Best Foods Mayonnaise to be able to tube the mixture. I sprinkle a little paprika on the top for color only. That's it! Pickle relish makes them more difficult to pipe and slows down the filling process. I'm usually in a hurry because I have many other things to get prepared on Sunday morning.

Edited by Epigonos

Mine are very primitive. I pipe the filling into the whites using a pastry bag with star tip. I start with Dijon mustard and add enough to almost achieve the consistence I need for piping. I then add Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, Garlic Salt, and white pepper to taste. The last thing I add is just enough Best Foods Mayonnaise to be able to tube the mixture. I sprinkle a little paprika on the top for color only. That it! Pickle relish makes them more difficult to pipe and slows down the filling process. I'm usually in a hurry because I have many other things to get prepared on Sunday morning.

They sound delicious!!!

Mine are very primitive. I pipe the filling into the whites using a pastry bag with star tip. I start with Dijon mustard and add enough to almost achieve the consistence I need for piping. I then add Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, Garlic Salt, and white pepper to taste. The last thing I add is just enough Best Foods Mayonnaise to be able to tube the mixture. I sprinkle a little paprika on the top for color only. That's it! Pickle relish makes them more difficult to pipe and slows down the filling process. I'm usually in a hurry because I have many other things to get prepared on Sunday morning.

And PLEASE do not change a thing, they are perfect just the way they are!

Desparado I, being weird, love anchovies. I especially love them on pizza. However, absolutely nothing could, under any circumstance, make me like deviled eggs. They are disgusting especially the rubbery white part.

I never get to order anchovies on a pizza. Have always been emphatically voted down.

I live alone so I usually order a pizza to bring home for dinner. I order the smallest one I can with sausage, mushroom and anchovies. If I don't eat it all for dinner, which is usually the case, I eat what's left over cold for breakfast. I love cold pizza for breakfast -- I know I'm weird.

P.S. One year I put anchovy paste in the deviled eggs and I damned near got killed.