Where Does The Time Go? Airplane!-The Movie Turns 40!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 1354 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cancel culture would shit if this were released today.

When someone cited the 'I can speak jive' line my thoughts were exactly that. (There could be a reasonable argument that some African-American patterns of speech should be considered as a dialect version of English rather than substandard or stereotyping, but we're not there yet. English as spoken by indigenous Australians, particularly in remote communities, is considered as a distinct dialect, Aboriginal English. That way schools don't demonise its use, rather they teach students the differences between it and standard English. *ends diversion*)

When someone cited the 'I can speak jive' line my thoughts were exactly that. (There could be a reasonable argument that some African-American patterns of speech should be considered as a dialect version of English rather than substandard or stereotyping, but we're not there yet. English as spoken by indigenous Australians, particularly in remote communities, is considered as a distinct dialect, Aboriginal English. That way schools don't demonise its use, rather they teach students the differences between it and standard English. *ends diversion*)

But doesn't the word dialect really imply substandardness? For example, I say/use the word y'all for the 2nd person plural instead of you. This is a southern "dialect," but I know it's not standard. And I wouldn't (more than likely?) use it in a formal paper. I might use it in a speech. But it would depend on the subject and the audience.

Gman

But doesn't the word dialect really imply substandardness? For example, I say/use the word y'all for the 2nd person plural instead of you. This is a southern "dialect," but I know it's not standard. And I wouldn't (more than likely?) use it in a formal paper. I might use it in a speech. But it would depend on the subject and the audience.

Gman

No, not necessarily, dialect can be regional or cultural. Swiss German, for example. Not standard doesn't necessarily mean substandard. I wouldn't call that southern usage a dialect variation, just usage and vocabulary. More broadly, I wouldn't call English as spoken in the UK at large, Canada, the US, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand distinct dialects, but rather distinct versions of standard English. (I'm not so sure about some of the UK regional variants, they might qualify.) Aboriginal English, by contrast, includes some grammatical structures from indigenous languages that differ from standard English.

Loved the silly guy in the tower? "The tower! The tower! Rapunzel!" "Did I leave the iron on?" "How 'bout Mr. Rogers?" "Antie Em! It's a twister!" What was his name? Johnny?

"There's a sale at Penney's!"

• 4 weeks later...

According to the documentary The Story of English, African American variations of the English language are true dialects that in part trace back to Africa where English was first learned from the British, for example the expression "I be talking...." vs. "I am talking" is a figure of speech how English was learned in Africa. Also, the tendency to say "I aksed you..." vs. " I asked you ..." traces back to English in Africa, centuries ago.

Though it is years since I saw the documentary, I recall there were isolated communities in the southeastern US where the old folk still spoke a dialect traced directly to African English.

Edited by E.T.Bass