Remote Work Location...

cougar
This topic is 1250 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well since the Corona virus has the World by the balls, my job is finally very open to me working in a remote location. Since this is beginning to look like it will be around for a while, I would like to continue to work my job at other remote locations other than my home. I did some digging around on line but found myself competing with travelers looking for vacation lodging. So does anyone know of a service (website) I could use that would give me direction for options to set up shop at any stateside location for weeks at a time?

I saw this as well and it got the gears turning.

The Barbados government is considering giving people the chance to relocate to the tropical island’s sparkling beaches and work from there remotely for up to a year.

There’s no reason I have to be where I am now for at least a couple of months - I just need to be somewhere I have good internet for work. And obviously access to reasonably priced lodging, food, transportation (especially flights out in case of hurricane), emergency medical care just in case, etc. Presumably there are no tax implications to income earned telecommuting a little bit further away. Who would know.

It seems like the key is reasonably priced housing and flights.

Presumably there are no tax implications to income earned telecommuting

I think that may be a big presumption @Keith30309 and it could be a costly mistake. It would depend on which foreign country you choose for your relocation. Working while based in another jurisdiction may well expose you to tax in that country (tho of course you’re likely to get a foreign tax credit for US tax purposes).

I think that may be a big presumption @Keith30309 and it could be a costly mistake. It would depend on which foreign country you choose for your relocation. Working while based in another jurisdiction may well expose you to tax in that country (tho of course you’re likely to get a foreign tax credit for US tax purposes).

Hypothetically, of course, who would know?

I continue to pay all US taxes as usual... I’m simply on vacation. An extended vacation.

• 4 months later...

Don’t tell your employer. They will be legally obligated to withhold tax from your new jurisdiction. If you work for a small business it creates a huge paperwork nightmare and they get exposed to collecting sales tax from that state if you stay in the USA