LGBTQI+ When Did This Happen?

Lucky
This topic is 1422 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I despise the full acronym (which I have come to know, btw, as LGTBQAI+). I understand its good intention, absolutely, but to me, by its need to "include" all these separate categories, it ironically feels very much the opposite of inclusive. It's calling attention to the various different categories instead of somehow uniting them, in my opinion. I know that's not the intent. But that's what I feel.

Until 2 days ago, I was unaware of a new acronym - BIPOC. (Black, Indigenous, and people of color.) I'm dubious about this term for similar reasons. The more each separate group that needs to be delineated, the more it actually seems to call attention to NOT unifying them. Also, I wonder why prominent groups like Asians and Latinx are lumped together in the "POC" part now - I have to predict that soon enough, we'll get something like BILAPOC...until further groups decide they need their own individual letter.

Again, I understand the intention, but I don't agree that it ultimately sends the right message. There must be a better way.

All of this said, when I'm in a situation where I sense that people feel more respected by using these terms, I will do so. (Similar to introducing oneself by including a pronoun series - which I'm not fond of either, but I will do when it seems right.) I don't want to make waves. But if someone were to ask me, I would say that I don't personally agree with the increasingly non-inclusive use of acronyms.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I despise the full acronym (which I have come to know, btw, as LGTBQAI+). I understand its good intention, absolutely, but to me, by its need to "include" all these separate categories, it ironically feels very much the opposite of inclusive. It's calling attention to the various different categories instead of somehow uniting them, in my opinion. I know that's not the intent. But that's what I feel.

Until 2 days ago, I was unaware of a new acronym - BIPOC. (Black, Indigenous, and people of color.) I'm dubious about this term for similar reasons. The more each separate group that needs to be delineated, the more it actually seems to call attention to NOT unifying them. Also, I wonder why prominent groups like Asians and Latinx are lumped together in the "POC" part now - I have to predict that soon enough, we'll get something like BILAPOC...until further groups decide they need their own individual letter.

Again, I understand the intention, but I don't agree that it ultimately sends the right message. There must be a better way.

All of this said, when I'm in a situation where I sense that people feel more respected by using these terms, I will do so. (Similar to introducing oneself by including a pronoun series - which I'm not fond of either, but I will do when it seems right.) I don't want to make waves. But if someone were to ask me, I would say that I don't personally agree with the increasingly non-inclusive use of acronyms.

For me, I most frequently use 'queer community' as it's short and inclusive, in a general way, and clearly means non-heterosexual.

BIPOC was new to me. Thanks. In Canada everyone is already hyphenated (Ukrainian-Canada, Fijian- Canada, Asian-Canadian, Queer-Canadian), so maybe it's less of an issue.

BIPOC was new to me. Thanks. In Canada everyone is already hyphenated (Ukrainian-Canada, Fijian- Canada, Asian-Canadian, Queer-Canadian), so maybe it's less of an issue.

Also, what used to sound fine as "P.O.C." (3 letters, not "pock") is now the rather ungainly sounding "Bypock." Ick.

Where headed for being a game show question....name all the letters of the acronym. The plus at the end sound like an iphone or streaming service. I understand we all want to be included but damn. Next we can argue about the order of the letters, who is most important to be listed first? Maybe we should adopt a symbol that like Prince had. No letters, to the point, no one can pronounce it but we all know what it means.o_O

For me, I most frequently use 'queer community' as it's short and inclusive, in a general way, and clearly means non-heterosexual.

@Bearman I'm curious. What was 'sad' about this post? You got me there.

^ Queer is becoming an offensive word among Gen Z'ers

https://www.bustle.com/articles/175470-what-does-queer-mean-5-things-to-know-about-the-q-in-lgbtq

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer

We know some activists at a local nonprofit who call themselves queer. It led to an interesting and educational chat when my daughter was offended one time when we were volunteering. She's cool with it now when someone uses it for self-identification, but it still is a charged word.

^ Queer is becoming an offensive word among Gen Z'ers

https://www.bustle.com/articles/175470-what-does-queer-mean-5-things-to-know-about-the-q-in-lgbtq

We know some activists at a local nonprofit who call themselves queer. It led to an interesting and educational chat when my daughter was offended one time when we were volunteering. She's cool with it now when someone uses it for self-identification, but it still is a charged word.

I don't have any problem with the expanded letters and think we should be welcoming to those who want to expand it. Intersex is important because there truly are people who are born with characteristics of both sexes, up to an estimated 1 percent of all births. Some of these conditions are very minor and most would identify with one sex or another, but some truly have ambiguous genitalia or hormone irregularities that prevent the secondary sex characteristics from developing during puberty. So the I in LGBTQI+ is truly a distinct thing separate from trans or other labels.

I just think cisgendered gay men should be welcoming of all.

I don't have any problem with the expanded letters and think we should be welcoming to those who want to expand it. Intersex is important because there truly are people who are born with characteristics of both sexes, up to an estimated 1 percent of all births. Some of these conditions are very minor and most would identify with one sex or another, but some truly have ambiguous genitalia or hormone irregularities that prevent the secondary sex characteristics from developing during puberty. So the I in LGBTQI+ is truly a distinct thing separate from trans or other labels.

Interesting. Different takes in different places. It's a pretty benign word here. Gay, lesbian, queer ... all basically the same and interchangeable.

Interesting. Different takes in different places. It's a pretty benign word here. Gay, lesbian, queer ... all basically the same and interchangeable.

The definition fits me well, which is my super-power. I agree that LGBTQ+ is long enough.

adjective, queer·er, queer·est.

strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular:

Then you no doubt resist the effort to call us queer. The media is using that word increasingly instead of gay, or even the acronym above.

The definition fits me well, which is my super-power. I agree that LGBTQ+ is long enough.

adjective, queer·er, queer·est.

strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular:

Then you no doubt resist the effort to call us queer. The media is using that word increasingly instead of gay, or even the acronym above.

Yes. But is there a way to keep from using the whole alphabet to do that?

The same with “ladies and gentlemen.” That used to be a pleasant way to greet people, recognizing there’s some diversity in the room without needing to enumerate every imaginable permutation of identity. What happens if you miss someone in your roster? LGBTQ. Uh oh. There’s an I person here! Are they butthurt? Bet your behind they are.

I am sympathetic to “queer” covering it all. I don’t see why every possible identity needs to be mentioned when talking in generalizations. Generalizations are *meant* to make communicating broadly more effective. Inevitably there will be people who don’t match up with the generalizations as much as others do. Does that mean we don’t value them or think they’re invisible? No. It simply means we didn’t mention them. Not everyone gets an honorable mention.

Yes. But is there a way to keep from using the whole alphabet to do that?

The same with “ladies and gentlemen.” That used to be a pleasant way to greet people, recognizing there’s some diversity in the room without needing to enumerate every imaginable permutation of identity. What happens if you miss someone in your roster? LGBTQ. Uh oh. There’s an I person here! Are they butthurt? Bet your behind they are.

I am sympathetic to “queer” covering it all. I don’t see why every possible identity needs to be mentioned when talking in generalizations. Generalizations are *meant* to make communicating broadly more effective. Inevitably there will be people who don’t match up with the generalizations as much as others do. Does that mean we don’t value them or think they’re invisible? No. It simply means we didn’t mention them. Not everyone gets an honorable mention.