But Wait...There's Swine Flu Coming!

Lucky
This topic is 1447 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The NY Times today has an article about a new strain of swine flu that is passing to humans.

"“It’s a very important study, and the virus looks quite dangerous,” Dr. Huang said. “We need to be worried about any disease with the potential to spread human to human.”

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/world/asia/h1n1-swine-flu-virus-china-pig.html

RTS34U0W.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

While it is not an immediate problem, they say, it has "all the hallmarks" of being highly adapted to infect humans and needs close monitoring.

The above is from a BBC article I read about this yesterday. “Close monitoring” doesn’t mean we’ll be shutting down because of this. Now because of Coronavirus, as soon as people hear “new virus,” they’re going to think “pandemic!” and lose their collective minds.

This is one of the problems with the nonstop media attention and sensationalism around this pandemic. People are either angrily exhausted or hysterically petrified.

The above is from a BBC article I read about this yesterday. “Close monitoring” doesn’t mean we’ll be shutting down because of this. Now because of Coronavirus, as soon as people hear “new virus,” they’re going to think “pandemic!” and lose their collective minds.

This is one of the problems with the nonstop media attention and sensationalism around this pandemic. People are either angrily exhausted or hysterically petrified.

I don't think that the Times would use a BBC article without crediting it. It's sourced from the reports of the scientists.

Edited by Lucky

Yeah this is the kind of stuff that happens every year. And that flu might be in next year's vaccine if they find it spreading.

Actually, swine flu does not pass to humans every year. It's not a "normal" flu.

Noooooo...there is no swine flu comming. Cnn permanent fear mongering to keep u watching. Every pork in the world has a type of influenza everyday everywhere. And from time to time some human, andt I mean one or two, catch it. We've only had one outbreak in modern history. Again and example of tragic PATHETIC journalist trying to shock you

Noooooo...there is no swine flu comming. Cnn permanent fear mongering to keep u watching. Every pork in the world has a type of influenza everyday everywhere. And from time to time some human, andt I mean one or two, catch it. We've only had one outbreak in modern history. Again and example of tragic PATHETIC journalist trying to shock you

I first read about it in BBC. While there might be some degree of sensationalism around the media, it is still something we shouldn’t be cavalier about. Total panic is unwarranted. But total disregard is ignorant.