"Merry Widow" from Buenos Aires

Karl-G
This topic is 1433 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires has announced it will stream a number of productions in the coming weeks, appearing first on Sunday evenings at 7:00 EDT. (I can't figure out all the details, so I don't know if these will be live performances or taped.) The Teatro Colon was once one of the greatest theaters in the world. It is splendid. All of the greatest artists from all over the world came to perform there - Caruso, Callas, Diaghalev, Pavarotti. It is still a great theater. This "Merry Widow" is a ballet, and one of their most famous and popular productions. The music is from Franz Lehar, but the arrangement is quite different from the operetta we are used to hearing, but very enjoyable. Marianeli Nunez, star of the Royal Ballet, came to headline. If you have the Met's operetta production in mind, you will be very pleasantly surprised to see what else can be done with the story and music. The set for Maxim's is more splendid than the Met's, and the costumes are more gorgeous. It is a delightful production. The other major dancers are Alejandro Parente (Ms Nunez' real life BF), and Camilla Bocca and Maximiliano Iglesias, two very exciting young dancers. All four are native Argentinians from Buenos Aires. Argentinian ballet dancers have long been very famous.

This is the first Latin American production I can recall seeing on streaming; I hope it is a harbinger of many more. I don't know how long the streaming video will be available, but I have watched it three times so far.

The Teatro Colon is truly amazing. Besides everything that is well known for, it hides many wonderful pearls. Once I worked for a production and gained access to the underground warehouses where old scenography is saved. Castles, ships, dragons, it is like walking into a magic dimension. I do not think regular tours get you there, but at least you can peruse the shops where new props and costumes are designed and created.

After we have a vaccine.

The Teatro Colon is truly amazing. Besides everything that is well known for, it hides many wonderful pearls. Once I worked for a production and gained access to the underground warehouses where old scenography is saved. Castles, ships, dragons, it is like walking into a magic dimension. I do not think regular tours get you there, but at least you can peruse the shops where new props and costumes are designed and created.

After we have a vaccine.

It’s also where a very young cellist and chorus master was called upon to fill in for a suddenly fired conductor first giving us Toscanini.

It’s also where a very young cellist and chorus master was called upon to fill in for a suddenly fired conductor first giving us Toscanini.

I heard the story differently (and just confirmed with 2 online biographies): Toscanini was assistant chorus master when the orchestra was in dispute with the conductor, and he first conducted Aida at the Opera House in Rio de Janeiro on June 25 1886.

The Teatro Colon is a beautiful building but sadly dilapidated in some areas. Some of the fixtures were stolen about 20 years ago.

I attended 3 Opera productions that I found only so-so, but I heard Martha Argerich 2x in wonderful recitals there. She used to tour Argentina annually at her own expense, going from Buenos Aires to the other cities. I was introduced to her by 2 mutual friends and I learned that she only broke even on her annual trips tho she sold out the Colon each time. She stopped one year after the Orchestra of the Colon suddenly went on strike shortly before her tour was to begin. She personally lost US $100,000 on the venture, and vowed not to tour there again. I was amazed that the Colon musicians would be so short-sighted as to demand more money and try to screw over such a legendary talent. Only in Argentina...

I heard the story differently (and just confirmed with 2 online biographies): Toscanini was assistant chorus master when the orchestra was in dispute with the conductor, and he first conducted Aida at the Opera House in Rio de Janeiro on June 25 1886.

The Teatro Colon is a beautiful building but sadly dilapidated in some areas. Some of the fixtures were stolen about 20 years ago.

I attended 3 Opera productions that I found only so-so, but I heard Martha Argerich 2x in wonderful recitals there. She used to tour Argentina annually at her own expense, going from Buenos Aires to the other cities. I was introduced to her by 2 mutual friends and I learned that she only broke even on her annual trips tho she sold out the Colon each time. She stopped one year after the Orchestra of the Colon suddenly went on strike shortly before her tour was to begin. She personally lost US $100,000 on the venture, and vowed not to tour there again. I was amazed that the Colon musicians would be so short-sighted as to demand more money and try to screw over such a legendary talent. Only in Argentina...

Sorry. I abbreviated to avoid an @stevenkesslar length post.

Edited by g56whiz

A Latin Twist.

In the operetta version of "Merry Widow," Valencienne (wife of Ambassador Zeta) flirts with the handsome young Camille de Rosillon. Untimately, after multiple vicissitudes, Valencienne returns to her husband and Rosillon slinks away perhaps broken hearted. She keeps insisting she is a faithful wife.

In the Argentinian ballet, it is somewhat different. In the very last scene, Danilo and the widow Hanna are in love and about to be married. The flirtation Valencienne is still dancing with Camille, but returning to husband Zeta, back and forth. The last step shows her leaving with her husband, but glancing back at Camille. An understanding Latin Zeta goes over to Camille and invites him to join him (Zeta) and his wife, Valencienne, in what only can be described as a Latin ménage à trois. The three leave arm in arm.

It is a charming touch.

Edited by Karl-G