HIV/AIDS Activist Larry Kramer has died at age 84

WilliamM
This topic is 1461 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Also the author of A Normal Heart and the founder of ACT UP. And one of the most controversial gay in the American.

Not related to COVID19

Larry Kramer

He was an early advocate for a national response to AIDS as the disease first emerged in the 1980s and he helped raise awareness and shape health care policy into the 1990s. How many of us are alive because of this man?

May he rest in peace!

giphy.gif

Larry Kramer was an early activist even before AIDS...a very busy man with lots of energy...He was a constant in the Gay Community in The Village a loud voice when it counted...He lived on Grove St and was notorious for being loud and sometimes obnoxious....A bigger than life character...

He also started the Gay Mens Health Crisis - GMHC in NYC. They had a brutal falling out (he wanted to go militant) and he ended up leaving the organization to start ACT UP.

As I recall from one of his books, GMHC in NYC was founded in his living room?. It is amazing to me that he was there at the very start of the AIDS pandemic and lived through its whole history.

Anout the only other one who has chronicled that expanse of time who is still alive is Edmund White.

Also the author of A Normal Heart and the founder of ACT UP. And one of the most controversial gay in the American.

Not related to COVID19

As controversial as he is, he is one of the true heroes of the movement. There were many others though. However we celebrate them all (as well as all the women - particularly many lesbians) that kept the community alive and the presence seen. Larry Kramer must have been slightly disconcerted that he would have to go through the same thing again, tho not amazed. I hope he is happy knowing that his community acknowledges how much good he did. I wish I had down a smidgen as much.

"We're In The MIddle OF A Fucking Plague"

One of my favorite seconds in this clip is when Kramer is talking and he emphasizes that what he is talking about is the same thing that he has been saying about for the past decade. He says that he had said the same things in 1981 and the blond-headed guy flicks his eyes showing that he can't believe that it had been going on for that long. It is about 1:45-50 in the clip.

As controversial as he is, he is one of the true heroes of the movement. There were many others though. However we celebrate them all (as well as all the women - particularly many lesbians) that kept the community alive and the presence seen. Larry Kramer must have been slightly disconcerted that he would have to go through the same thing again, tho not amazed. I hope he is happy knowing that his community acknowledges how much good he did. I wish I had down a smidgen as much.

Especially Doctor Matilde Krim, a scientist and activatist. Her husband was Arthur Krim, a Hollywood producer and leader of the Democratic Party who know Presidents Kennedy and Johnson.

Doctor Krim was the founder of am far and a close friend of Lady Bird Johnson and her husband

He was certainly a towering figure. While I admittedly never liked being in the same room with him,

there is no doubt he was a powerful voice. His spitting and at times venomous yawp spoke to this

late 80’s NYC punk. There is little doubt I owe my own survival in part to him.

Thank you Larry. RIP Mighty Warrior.

Larry has already demanded to talk to the person in charge of Heaven with a long list of complaints. His is pissed Nancy Reagan talked to him and Judy Garland asked if he wanted her autograph.

Edited by WilliamM

This news hit me hard and its been a somber week. Larry Kramer is a man that history simply could not have done without. Larry will remain a great source of inspiration to me throughout my life. With COVID-19 making our STI/HIV resources scarce, his efforts, his methods, and his views are just as important now as they were 30 years ago.

Larry Kramer

He was an early advocate for a national response to AIDS as the disease first emerged in the 1980s and he helped raise awareness and shape health care policy into the 1990s. How many of us are alive because of this man?

May he rest in peace!

giphy.gif

He was a fierce warrior, a dynamic activist, a writer: one who made a profound impact on the LGQT community and beyond.

"May he rest in eternal peace!"

One of my favorite seconds in this clip is when Kramer is talking and he emphasizes that what he is talking about is the same thing that he has been saying about for the past decade. He says that he had said the same things in 1981 and the blond-headed guy flicks his eyes showing that he can't believe that it had been going on for that long. It is about 1:45-50 in the clip.

Yeah I noticed that too.