More interesting data regarding Covid

This topic is 1173 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If they report hospitalization data, it should be hospitalizations with the diagnosis of Covid-19, not total hospitalizations, or it's really not interpretable. Most of the patients in hospitals are not there due to Covid-19.

That seems obvious. Wouldn't the State's Ministry of Health provide a regular comprehensive report on the state of the health care system in general, with COVID specific data provided, as a basic minimum of information for residents during a pandemic?

And beyond compiled reports, isn't most of that information available through 'open data' sources of government?

https://open.canada.ca/en/open-data

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/data/open-data

Edited by RealAvalon

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Remesdivir has only been shown to reduce the number of days in the hospital...

Only a fraction of patients eligible to take remdesivir can actually get it. Hospitals get a very small supply, each enough to treat about 2 patients per week. I'm not sure if/when they can bump up production.

Because the governor wanted to pretend nothing was wrong so he could open the state up more and more. The most ridiculous part is there is still a mandatory quarantine for NYers who come to Florida. The outbreak is out of control there and NYers are the only ones that have to quarantine? Real smart.

I know someone who flew from NY LGA to Fort Lauderdale last week. They were given a Covid 19 Dept of Health Mandatory Self-Isolation Airport Travel Form to fill out at the airport in NYC. When they arrived in Florida no one was collecting the forms. He asked a security guard about it & was told not to worry about it. I’m wondering what is going to happen when he flies back to NY from FL on July 8th as all travelers from FL now are suppose to quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in NY. The whole situation is ridiculous & unenforceable.

I know someone who flew from NY LGA to Fort Lauderdale last week. They were given a Covid 19 Dept of Health Mandatory Self-Isolation Airport Travel Form to fill out at the airport in NYC. When they arrived in Florida no one was collecting the forms. He asked a security guard about it & was told not to worry about it. I’m wondering what is going to happen when he flies back to NY from FL on July 8th as all travelers from FL now are suppose to quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in NY. The whole situation is ridiculous & unenforceable.

It’s ridiculous and unenforced because we have a lack of national crisis management.

It’s ridiculous and unenforced because we have a lack of national crisis management.

In Canada the federal government, in it's discussions with the provinces, has done everything to not declare a national emergency, as it's a kin to martial law. Everything is being done to support provinces to use their emergency powers instead. This week Ontario is mandating masks for in-door public places, under it's emergency powers. Quebec is mandating masks on public transit. BC is mandating 14 days quarantine for international travel, and anyone that has been in immediate contact with the virus.

Three new cases today, 16 people in hospital, two people in ICU.

Only a fraction of patients eligible to take remdesivir can actually get it. Hospitals get a very small supply, each enough to treat about 2 patients per week. I'm not sure if/when they can bump up production.

That's unfortunate. Good that Dexamethasone is pretty widely available then.

If he is flying back into NYC, his info will be given to authorities. It has been reported they will be doing surprise visits to make sure people are abiding by the rules and there is a penalty for not doing so. I believe it is $2000.

Now are they actually following through? I have no clue since I don't know anyone who has traveled into the state.

It has been reported they will be doing surprise visits to make sure people are abiding by the rules and there is a penalty for not doing so. I believe it is $2000. Now are they actually following through?

They’ve done those visits in Hawaii. It’s quite conceivable they’d do it in NY too.

I see the testing and quarantine regimen as a good solution til we get a vaccine. It’s not that cumbersome or burdensome. If you travel, you have to test or quarantine. If you’re unwilling to quarantine, get the test.

I served in Vietnam and survived prostate cancer. Calling a president who has totally screwed up the fight against covid Agent Orange is a bit of an insult

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I’m baffled. In fact it sounds like crazy talk.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I’m baffled. In fact it sounds like crazy talk.

Take a moment to think about it. Referring to Trump, or anyone, as "Agent Orange" may be a quippy insult, but it can also come off as trivializing the real agent orange by treating it as a punchline -- the real agent orange was a chemical warfare substance that destroyed villages, and left scores (including our own service men) with serious lifelong illnesses.

Quippy insults always inevitably end up insulting someone unintended. Sorry you were offended but it wasn’t addressed at you. At some point we need to learn to deal with our offenses and have enough brains to differentiate that not everything is about us individually. The me-culture of this world is destroying us. We’re too damn self-referential about everything – good and bad.

Take a moment to think about it. Referring to Trump, or anyone, as "Agent Orange" may be a quippy insult, but it can also come off as trivializing the real agent orange by treating it as a punchline -- the real agent orange was a chemical warfare substance that destroyed villages, and left scores (including our own service men) with serious lifelong illnesses.

Well in that case I in turn ask you to think about it. The correlation is unmistakable. But I will leave it at that as this is not the politics forum.

Quippy insults always inevitably end up insulting someone unintended. Sorry you were offended but it wasn’t addressed at you. At some point we need to learn to deal with our offenses and have enough brains to differentiate that not everything is about us individually. The me-culture of this world is destroying us. We’re too damn self-referential about everything – good and bad.

The VA recognized the lethal power of Agent Orange in Vietnam years ago, for many diseases. A veteran has to document service in Vietnam and medical records on contacting one or more of diseases spawned by Agent Orange.

Nobody has spoken until now because there are only a few Vietnam vets here.

Edited by WilliamM

The VA recognized the lethal power of Agent Orange in Vietnam years ago, for many diseases. A veteran has to document service in Vietnam and medical records on contacting one or more of diseases spawned by Agent Orange.

Nobody has spoken until now because there are only a few Vietnam vets here.

Thanks, MikeBIDude. You may be the only member to respond positively. And also Marylander1940

They’ve done those visits in Hawaii. It’s quite conceivable they’d do it in NY too.

Hawaii is quite serious, and look at their results ?? A Hawaii resident friend told me there are local volunteer groups that watch for and report non quarantine isolation visitors. If caught the offender receives. $1500-2000 fine and a car ride to the HNL airport.

and healthy eating, responsibility, etc.

But personal responsibility is so old fashion. Everything bad is always the fault of someone else.

Is it that hard to social distance, wash your hands and wear a mask? Don’t push it by asking people to eat healthy and exercise or not drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs?.

I am coming to the conclusion that the old adage is correct: No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

You posted on an open forum, so don't be so touchy if someone you're not directly responding to comments negatively on a post. As far as the inevitability of quippy insults, you're letting yourself off the hook too easily. I don't suspect it was intentional, but some quippy insults are more insensitive than others and affect different people. There is some truth about your complaint re: "me culture", but there's also a tendency in these times of pervasive social media for people to say offensive things without thinking -- I'd say it's a coarsening of social discourse, casually posting offensive or insensitive items, and then verbally shrugging them off by accusing critics of being too PC or overly sensitive. Free speech isn't free in that one owns what one says, and words have consequences.

Hawaii is quite serious, and look at their results ?? A Hawaii resident friend told me there are local volunteer groups that watch for and report non quarantine isolation visitors. If caught the offender receives. $1500-2000 fine and a car ride to the HNL airport.

The Canada/USA border is closed, other than essential trade and immediate family reunification. But, Americans are allowed to enter Canada is they are going to Alaska. It's a loop hole, some Americans are taking (unless they've gotten turned away at the border). At the border they are informed that they must to travel directly to Alaska.

Americans are starting to get fines here as well. Driving to Port Edwards, at the tip of Vancouver Island, isn't on the way to Alaska.