It's Not Delivery. It's ...

Gar1eth
This topic is 1459 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I popped a DiGiorno's variety I hadn't tried before. It was the their deep dish. I normally go for their thin crust, as while I don't mind thick crust pizzas, usually their crusts are tasteless. The best thick crust pizza I ever had was UNO's. Their crusts taste buttery.

But back to DiGiorno. This was pretty good. It comes in its own pan. I bought the 3-meat as I didn't see a supreme. I doctored it up by slicing putting on some cherry tomatoes and green olives. I also covered the top with purple onion slices. Then I sprinkled some garlic powder. smoked paprika, and oregano on it. And while it was nowhere near as good as UNO's, I think it was better than most of the chain delivery places. And at $7 it was much less expensive.

00071921548162_a1l1_900_900.jpg

Gman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve even enjoyed the Daiya gluten free dairy free pizza

I'm glad you like them. I'm a "gluten-free" skeptic. Unless there are some new scientific studies I don't know of, the majority of people without celiac disease can tolerate gluten ( well I stand corrected. Wikipedia, that fount of all knowledge, does report on an entity called non-celiac gluten sensitivity but I'm not sure if it's universally accepted as being real thing.)

But again if going gluten-free actually makes you feel better, I'm glad.

Gman

@Gar1eth, did you know there are two kinds of people in America?

Yes, there are those with gluten issues and then there’s the 97% who are tired of hearing of the others’ gluten issues :D

Frozen pizza makes me shudder. I make my own pizza dough from scratch using Italian Tipo 00 flour and never look back.

Soeaking of flour, has anyone noticed it's been difficult to find lately? I looked at two or three different Walmarts for over a week, and I only found things like almond flour and corn meal/flour. Yesterday I finally found some wheat flour. There was a single 5 pound bag of Arrow Mills Organic All Purpose Flour for $4.97. I don't really bake. But I decided what if I decided to make a no knead bread or wanted to make my own oven fried chicken mix. Plus it looked so lonely on the shelf with no other bags around. So I bought it.

Gman

Soeaking of flour, has anyone noticed it's been difficult to find lately? I looked at two or three different Walmarts for over a week, and I only found things like almond flour and corn meal/flour. Yesterday I finally found some wheat flour. There was a single 5 pound bag of Arrow Mills Organic All Purpose Flour for $4.97. I don't really bake. But I decided what if I decided to make a no knead bread or wanted to make my own oven fried chicken mix. Plus it looked so lonely on the shelf with no other bags around. So I bought it.

Gman

if you think it will take you months to use it up, consider freezing it in 1 pound packages.

Gman

if you think it will take you months to use it up, consider freezing it in 1 pound packages.

That's a good idea. Thanks.

Gman

Soeaking of flour, has anyone noticed it's been difficult to find lately?

Very difficult. All apocalyptic baking supplies like flour and yeast have been next to impossible to get. I use my own sourdough starter for breads, but use yeast for aforementioned pizza dough.

Even supply of whole wheat berries to “grind your own” have been in shorter supply.

Like hand sanitizer and masks...I have found some of my orders made online for flour… Get self canceled! I found a 50# bag of high quality bread flour online finally yesterday and it shipped via UPS, my brother and a couple others will divvy this up with me.

Yes freezes well and never gets bugs!

I've sadly become a frozen pizza expert during this pandemic but fortunately the roommate has been making healthy meals which he shares with me. But I still break down on occasion, usually the weekends. It's funny though because we'll both review the frozen pizza like a restaurant review show. Our go to when we were dating was DiGiorno but we had one a few days ago and I wasn't a fan of the crust. We've also had Jack's, Tostino's, and Red Barron. All very cheap but he liked Red Barron's sauce better than Jack's and well Tostino's is best had after consuming a lot of alcohol, lol. His favorite cheap pizza is Tombstone and we've actually at one point did Mama Rosa's a long time ago for laughs. I usually avoid pizza like the plague because of the carbs and calories but lately I just feel like giving up.

Did anybody eat Totino's Party Pizza during college??! It's now square and very cheap. And delicious. After years of not eating it, I recently rediscovered it. Still good, but, gee, it's much smaller than it used to be.

223842-frozenpizza-totinos-partypizza.jpg

Edited by azdr0710

Gman

Honey, you know you can substitute BISQUICK for flour ? I know I've found it in my market. :cool:

Gman

Honey, you know you can substitute BISQUICK for flour ? I know I've found it in my market. :cool:

They may have been out of it. But I'm not sure. I did see some pancake mix.

Gman

I like DiGiorno's thin crust a lot. I think it's better than many of our popular local brands.

The toilet paper and some shortages are artificial in the sense that there is no supply chain shortage. It's the result of panic buying or hoarding. The flour shortage is real. People are baking at home like never before. Bread is a tough thing to bake. More people than ever are trying because they have the time. That's why yeast is also hard to find. My local market never seems to have 5 pound bags but often has 2 pounds. I know from picking things up for elderly neighbors. This will have to go on a lot longer before I attempt baking bread.

• 4 weeks later...
I popped a DiGiorno's variety I hadn't tried before. It was the their deep dish. I normally go for their thin crust, as while I don't mind thick crust pizzas, usually their crusts are tasteless. The best thick crust pizza I ever had was UNO's. Their crusts taste buttery.

But back to DiGiorno. This was pretty good. It comes in its own pan. I bought the 3-meat as I didn't see a supreme. I doctored it up by putting on some cherry tomatoes and green olives. I also covered the top with white onion slices. Then I sprinkled some garlic powder. smoked paprika, and oregano on it. And while it was nowhere near as good as UNO's, I think it was better than most of the chain delivery places. And at $7 it was much less expensive.

00071921548162_a1l1_900_900.jpg

Gman

Here's my latest 3 meat doctored up pizza. I like mine on the more done side. So after it had cooked per the directions, I turned the broiler on for about 3 to 4 minutes.

IMG_0387.jpg?raw=1

Here's a pepperoni I made the other day.

IMG_0375.jpg?raw=1

Gman

Here's my latest 3 meat doctored up pizza. I like mine on the more done side. So after it had cooked per the directions, I turned the broiler on for about 3 to 4 minutes.

IMG_0387.jpg?raw=1

Here's a pepperoni I made the other day.

IMG_0375.jpg?raw=1

Gman

I hope it tasted better than it looks ? It doesn't photograph that well.....

Bread machines are also rare-to-nonexistent online.

I'm not sure what comment this is referring to in this thread. But just bought one off eBay. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. It was $34.98 Pretax with a $20.52 shipping charge. I also bought a $5.99 Square Trade Insurance Policy, and spent $10.99 on a manual as I couldn't find one online.

I hope it's in good working order. But that's why I bought the Square Trade Policy. I've seen online that the non-stick coating on the blade can flake. I've seen some plastic blades offered for my model that don't have that problem. But I want to bake a rosemary bread loaf tomorrow. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Gman