Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

Slightly deviating from grocery shopping, but related, I went to a different shopping centre today, catching the bus rather than walking. Three o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon and I was the only person on the bus. They aren't taking cash fares (only travel cards or tickets from one of the rare ticket machines), and they aren't using the front doors.

Crowds are small, as you'd expect, if 'crowd' is the right word, but the place was active. One shop had a 'stand behind' line 1m from the counter (only come closer than that to pay) and all either requested or insisted on card payment. I went to our equivalent of AAA, they were in the office but the door was closed. I had to ring them from just outside the door to do the business I wanted to do, but a staffer had to come to the door to clarify one point because the shopping centre muzak was too loud.

Bus home had a total of three passengers. It was a beautiful autumn day out, and I did have some walking around in the sun between the places I needed to go. And it's officially become 'cold', although here in Canberra that is marked by a below zero (Celsius) overnight minimum, not freezing days, and we've had -1.4 degrees and a couple that were 0 on the news bulletin but rounded down from 0.2 or 0.3.

I'm trying my first JewelOsco (Chicagoland) delivery tomorrow. Hoping I am not disappointed. I realized after I submitted order, that I would like to add something and can't find a way to add, only edit what is already in cart. And Chicago friends got advice on that?

Thanks

I have been using JewelOsco (pickup) since the pandemic. Originally I was able to add to my grocery list up to 24 hours before pickup. However for the last two weeks their policy has changed and once you order, it is cut in stone.

Do you have a Mariano's near you? They allow changes up to the day of delivery. Good luck.

I have been using JewelOsco (pickup) since the pandemic. Originally I was able to add to my grocery list up to 24 hours before pickup. However for the last two weeks their policy has changed and once you order, it is cut in stone.

Do you have a Mariano's near you? They allow changes up to the day of delivery. Good luck.

I was really disappointed with Jewel delivery. Scheduled for 3-5. At 4:45 clicked on the "where is my delivery" option and got an email saying "delivery scheduled 3-5". At 5:45, I clicked on the "late delivery/never received option". At 6:50 I got a text, it would arrive from Door Dash at 7:13. Finally at 7:25 arrived.

Yes, there is a Mariano's near me and a friend said they had good luck. Think I will stick with going to the store myself.

I just got back from a visit to my local SoCal Vons (Safeway) right now. Was a very pleasant pandemic shopping experience, one-way aisles (mostly ignored) decent crowds, most importantly an entirely full meat section with beef, pork, lamb, and poultry. Loads of produce. There was an assistant manager at the head of the checkout line, sending socially distanced shoppers and their carts to checkout stand numbers one by one, very organized.

Just got back from my DC supermarket - looks like the toilet paper crisis is over. ;) The shelves were full of every brand imaginable including the very much in demand Charmin!

I haven't gone today but I haven't seen this yet in San Diego. The large supermarkets generally have empty shelves except for some off-brands or TP packaged for businesses. I don't think I've seen Charmin on the shelves for over a month.

Today I went to the Meijer I've been primarily using since the start of 'stay at home' order. I pulled into the parking lot at my normal time and was surprised to see the parking lot pretty full, reminding me of a typical morning of Dec 24 crowd at the grocery. I realized as I walked in, it might not be quite as full as it appeared many cars were also practicing social distancing.

I only needed a few items today, as my build up of frozen options is still full, so I only focused on perishables - milk, meat, blueberries, bread, and ice cream. (Yes, ice cream does not last long in my condo, so it is a perishable.) I made my quick trip through a couple of aisles and was surprised to get the self-check registers to discover there was actually a line. At least 10 in front of me for the six registers.

As I'm standing there, it dawns on me while it is so crowded. More than half of the customers ahead of me have flowers and Mother's Day cards. So while not Christmas Eve, it is tomorrow's holiday and something folks appear excited to be able celebrate.

I had to go to Kroger for a prescription and decided instead of using the drive through to just go in the store and do my weekly grocery shopping there since I got some good coupons in the mail this week instead of the local upscale store I've been going to since this started. BIG mistake. Wish I would have spent the extra money and time and just used the drive through for my script and went to the grocery store I've been going to.

They didn't have arrows on the floor restricting it to one way traffic (not that people pay any attention to them anyway) and a lot of people didn't have masks on and weren't staying six feet away and I noticed it was the ones with no masks on just walking right by people not honoring the six feet rule.

The local store I like to go to requires masks of all customers and so does Costco and I'm going to jsut stick to stores that have that policy in place. I don't know why they don't issue an executive order requiring masks in all stores.

One thing I'm finding annoying is buying produce. I've noticed others have been able to get the bags to come apart but I've always had to wet my finger tips to get the bags to come apart they have in the produce section which I don't want to do anyway and is impossible to do with a mask on. The local grocery store I like to go to told me last weekend I'm not the only one with that issue and they will put loose produce in separate plastic bags but they didn't do that at Krogthetto for me.

Today I went to the Meijer I've been primarily using since the start of 'stay at home' order. I pulled into the parking lot at my normal time and was surprised to see the parking lot pretty full, reminding me of a typical morning of Dec 24 crowd at the grocery. I realized as I walked in, it might not be quite as full as it appeared many cars were also practicing social distancing.

I only needed a few items today, as my build up of frozen options is still full, so I only focused on perishables - milk, meat, blueberries, bread, and ice cream. (Yes, ice cream does not last long in my condo, so it is a perishable.) I made my quick trip through a couple of aisles and was surprised to get the self-check registers to discover there was actually a line. At least 10 in front of me for the six registers.

As I'm standing there, it dawns on me while it is so crowded. More than half of the customers ahead of me have flowers and Mother's Day cards. So while not Christmas Eve, it is tomorrow's holiday and something folks appear excited to be able celebrate.

I wish Meijer would start requiring masks and I'd go there more. It's my favorite mass retailer to shop at and they have the best produce of any mass retailer in my area.

I wish Meijer would start requiring masks and I'd go there more. It's my favorite mass retailer to shop at and they have the best produce of any mass retailer in my area.

I understand that the chain is following the state-specific guidelines. There are some states where they are requiring all to wear them. I will say that yesterday, all employees I saw were wearing masks.

I understand that the chain is following the state-specific guidelines. There are some states where they are requiring all to wear them. I will say that yesterday, all employees I saw were wearing masks.

All employees in Ohio are required to wear masks. But I was talking about customers as well since they are the ones you have the closest contact with at most times. I have been pretty happy with how Ohio's governor has been handling this (with the exception of releasing a particular prisoner early that had seven years left on his sentence all every parol board member voted against it) but am pissed off he changed his original ruling on all people in retail stores being required to wear masks. The masks protect people from spreading it and I've noticed the people that are violators of the six feet rule and going the wrong way down aisles almost neve have masks on.

And even if the state doesn't require masks the store can still require it. Costco requires everyone in all their stores to wear a mask and the local grocery store I like to go to requires masks.

I had to go to Kroger for a prescription and decided instead of using the drive through to just go in the store and do my weekly grocery shopping there since I got some good coupons in the mail this week instead of the local upscale store I've been going to since this started. BIG mistake. Wish I would have spent the extra money and time and just used the drive through for my script and went to the grocery store I've been going to.

They didn't have arrows on the floor restricting it to one way traffic (not that people pay any attention to them anyway) and a lot of people didn't have masks on and weren't staying six feet away and I noticed it was the ones with no masks on just walking right by people not honoring the six feet rule.

The local store I like to go to requires masks of all customers and so does Costco and I'm going to jsut stick to stores that have that policy in place. I don't know why they don't issue an executive order requiring masks in all stores.

One thing I'm finding annoying is buying produce. I've noticed others have been able to get the bags to come apart but I've always had to wet my finger tips to get the bags to come apart they have in the produce section which I don't want to do anyway and is impossible to do with a mask on. The local grocery store I like to go to told me last weekend I'm not the only one with that issue and they will put loose produce in separate plastic bags but they didn't do that at Krogthetto for me.

Kroger has to be the worst chain in the country.

Today being Monday it is my usual grocery run day. I really didn't need more than half a dozen items so I decided to go over to my nearby Smart & Final yesterday. Crowd was very light and they had all of the items I wanted. Some fools, mostly older customers, want to linger in front of certain sections to ponder just exactly what they want to purchase. One old man simply couldn't decide what he wanted. I actually had to turn around, go down the next aisle and enter his aisle from the opposite end. He was absolutely oblivious of his surrounds and the people trying to get around him.

Smart & Final has really done an outstanding job setting the store up for social distancing and safe check-out for the checkers and customers alike. Masks are required to enter to store and most customers do not seem to object.

You mean your bank is still open? My local branch of Chase has even closed its walk-up ATMs in the outer lobby; only the drive-through is open.

They are only open by appointment. Otherwise the ATM is working. No drive through. And extended call centre hours.

Smart & Final has really done an outstanding job setting the store up for social distancing and safe check-out for the checkers and customers alike. Masks are required to enter to store and most customers do not seem to object.

My local Smart & Final as well. And it’s across the street from my old time local butcher....so as a fellow carnivore I’m set! Butcher store first, then S&F to “fill in”.

Their produce leaves a bit to be desired, but I’ve been an Imperfect Produce customer for a while and they take care of that need.

You mean your bank is still open? My local branch of Chase has even closed its walk-up ATMs in the outer lobby; only the drive-through is open.

Yup! And if the drive thru can’t help you you’re SOL! A week or so I called the prescribed customer service number and waited over 90 minutes for a pick up only to be transferred to another department. I waited almost another hour only to have the call dropped as it was being answered. I’m a recovering banker and have been a happy conquest client of Chase and it’s predecessor banks for more than 3 decades. They’ve had all my banking business. My only question now is how fast I can move all that business to USAA. ☹️

My local Bank of America is open for inside service. The problem is that surrounding B of A branches are not open for inside service. My branch has ONE teller operating and thus the line to enter is about a one hour plus wait. I do not have a washer/dryer in my condo but the association has four laundry rooms. To use the machines I need quarters. I'm not about to wait in the bank line for over an hour to get quarters. Smart & Final has come to my rescue again and is giving me rolls of quarters when I request cash back. Hurrah for Smart & Final.

Edited by Epigonos

My local Bank of America is open for inside service. The problem is that surrounding B of A branches or not open for inside service. My branch has ONE teller operating and thus the line to enter is about a one hour plus wait. I do not have a washer/dryer in my condo but the association has four laundry rooms. To use the machines I need quarters. I'm not about to wait in the bank line for over an hour to get quarters. Smart & Final has come to my rescue again and is giving me rolls of quarters when I request cash back. Hurrah for Smart & Final.

I went to the nearby BOA office this morning to try to deposit a couple thousand dollars in CAD currency that I don't expect to use (Sorry Stockbar and Campus!). However, the line was out the door.

Guess I'll keep that cash for now.